Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 11:30 PM

943 posts, read 1,843,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
As long as your car is licensed/registered in NV, you should be okay.
agree. if you car is legal in your state an you dive it in another state that has different rules they can't do anything to you as long as you are obeying the driving laws of that state.

Like saying if your car has a NV lic an registered in Carson city NV and does not have a smog check and will not pass a smog. YOu can still drive it in another state like Ca that requires its residents cars to pass a smog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 03:59 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,857,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
What if you have privacy glass from the factory.. That means you have to remove the windows????
Your factory tinted glass is in the second row and back. You are allowed to tint from the second row and back in CA, that's why minivans and SUVs can have dark tinted glass from the factory.

I have 35% tint on my front windows (very obvious and very illegal) in my SUV that stays in CA, and I've never gotten ticketed for it. Then again, I've never been pulled over the entire time I've owned it either.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:59 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
California won't cite you for it if you are out of state.

If you are thinking of doing anything nefarious, California law enforcement WILL use the tinted windows as pretext to stop you, even if they only suspect you of doing nefarious stuff.

Thats the whole reasoning behind the anti tint law(and a host of others as well) in California....to give law enforcement more reasons to be able to conduct a stop and start questioning you(which btw, you do not have to answer).

Old 07-04-2012, 01:09 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
A couple weeks ago, I was driving my Nevada registered car in UT. I was pulled over for speeding, and the state trooper used a handheld device to measure the tint on my front row side windows. He told me my window tint was not legal in NV. He told me they have a chart that lists every state & its laws for tint. Because mine were illegal in NV, he wrote me up for that, too.

The fine for the tint was $50. I was not required to remove the tint or have my windows tested by anyone here in Nevada. I spoke to a clerk in the court who told me if I could get an official in Nevada to write stating my windows are legal here they would be dismiss the fine for the tint.

My guess is most states work that way - they may cite you if your windows are not legal in your home state.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
The fine for the tint was $50. I was not required to remove the tint or have my windows tested by anyone here in Nevada. I spoke to a clerk in the court who told me if I could get an official in Nevada to write stating my windows are legal here they would be dismiss the fine for the tint.
Good luck with that. The law in Nevada is 35% net on the fronts, so that's equal to factory tint (in the 70-75% VLT range) plus 50% film. 35% film would result in a net of about 25%, which is sufficiently far from 35% that I'd be surprised if you were cut a break.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:23 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,433,951 times
I have a used car, and the receipt in the car owners folders says front side windows are tinted HP(High Performance) 15%. Is this legal?

BTW, what is "high performance"? is it a brand? is it good?

Old 07-04-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
I have a used car, and the receipt in the car owners folders says front window is tinted HP(High Performance) 15%. Is this legal?
The law in Nevada is 35% net on the front windows, so 15% film would be illegal.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:29 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,433,951 times
oh no...now I can't sleep well at night.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:32 PM

843 posts, read 2,215,795 times
There is a difference between tinted glass and windows that have tinting film. Tinted glass (to a certain percent) is legal in CA, it's just the film that is 100% illegal for the drivers and passenger windows. You can spray paint rear windows black without any trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas