Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 12:55 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,686 times

Advertisements

Around here, we keep energy costs down during the warm times of the year by keeping our windows open. Of course, during the heat of the summer and the cold of the winter, this isnt possible. Actually the weather is not good for keeping windows open for the most of the year. Do you locals keep your windows open alot and if not, is there a good reason why you don't? Sounds like silliness I know but such things are important when you are considering a move...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 12:59 PM

572 posts, read 1,683,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Around here, we keep energy costs down during the warm times of the year by keeping our windows open. Of course, during the heat of the summer and the cold of the winter, this isnt possible. Actually the weather is not good for keeping windows open for the most of the year. Do you locals keep your windows open alot and if not, is there a good reason why you don't? Sounds like silliness I know but such things are important when you are considering a move...

You can do it pretty much most of the time, except in the dead of summer (basically from May/June till september). Of course it depends on your tolerance to heat. I was in Vegas mid-march and had the windows open during the day, pretty much till night, cause it got a little too cold.

Something to consider though... depending on where you live, you could run the chance of having desert dust/sand blowing in if you keep the windows open. Sucks if you have allergies to the stuff.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:04 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,471,089 times
You're not going to be able to live with keeping your windows open in the heat of the summer alice...your house/apt will become a virtual oven...I'm a heat lover and I'm not able to tolerate that kind of heat in the house...

I have all my windows open right now, it's beautiful!

And I keep them open until the heat really hits...usually around Memorial Day...then the a/c is turned on and kept that way till the temps dip below 85 or so...mid-to late October, sometimes November.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:17 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,318,048 times
I think I might worry about crime if I left my windows open. Do you? I love the fresh air and lack of a/c and here I have my screens wired so if any one touches them or tries to cut, an alarm will go off. Then with sliding glass doors, as many of your homes have, if that is the only outside source in a room, is it okay to go away or to sleep leaving one of them open?

Old 04-30-2008, 01:27 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,686 times
No I wouldnt expect to be able to keep them open in the summer. Maybe in the morning. And if dust blows in, that could be an issue.

As far as crime, I definitely dont think that would bother me. I'm from Memphis and my mom still lives there. She has bars on her windows but she does leave them open...ha.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:56 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times
We live in an older house [well insulated and shaded] in the summer, we close all the windows in the morning and open all of them in the evening.....[no AC] this will continue until the daytime high reaches 105 or so then we turn on the AC in the afternoon
as soo as the nighttime temps go below 65 degrees, we open the windows and the patio door and they stay that way until the nightime temps go below 40 degrees....then we turn the heat on in the evening......

Old 04-30-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
I think I might worry about crime if I left my windows open. Do you? I love the fresh air and lack of a/c and here I have my screens wired so if any one touches them or tries to cut, an alarm will go off. Then with sliding glass doors, as many of your homes have, if that is the only outside source in a room, is it okay to go away or to sleep leaving one of them open?
I don't ever leave my windows open when no one is home. But someone usually is in my house.

I close everything up on the windy days and put the ceiling fans on high, I don't like that fine layer of dust on my furniture, shades and draperies...

Old 04-30-2008, 02:34 PM

but MOM this is Las Vegas......as long as you don't move anything no one will know you didn't dust

Old 04-30-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
but MOM this is Las Vegas......as long as you don't move anything no one will know you didn't dust
Like hll dyni... I'm the white glove inspection type person...

Old 04-30-2008, 04:02 PM

[quietly tearin up the invitation to my house ]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas