Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 06:08 PM

3 posts, read 7,857 times

Advertisements

Moving to Vegas this summer and I'm currently looking for a teaching job. Applied with CCSD. Only think missing is the interview before a job offer can be made. Does anyone know the process? Would it help to visit school principals with my resume? Is there any other way I can teach in this district or other places like in Henderson or private schools? Need some insight . Thanks so very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 07:42 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,159,764 times
The district and the teacher's union have been embroiled in some very nasty negotiations lately and the district has announced that they will be laying off teachers. The newbies are very likely the first to go. Here are a couple links for you to review before you make this leap.

With pink slips looming, arbitration victory is bittersweet for teachers union - Wednesday, May 2, 2012 | 9:34 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun
Teacher friction emerges as layoffs loom - News - ReviewJournal.com

Old 05-07-2012, 09:32 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,686,948 times
What do you teach? If you are math, science, or sped, you should not have much of a problem getting a job.

There are over a thousand open positions right now, but the superintendent is rather punitive and will probably lay off people out of spite.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:25 PM

625 posts, read 799,309 times
Im making the move this weekend and I have my bachelors in K-6. I plan on trying to get in tutoring at places or learning centers. Substitute at schools and then go from there.

Good luck!

Old 05-15-2012, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 7,857 times
I heard about the layoffs due to teacher raises. I'm looking into private schools as well. I truly appreciate the links and info.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:34 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,088,309 times
I did some volunteering because I was thinking about teaching here through that alternate certification program. Las Vegas is not an easy place to teach. It is a melting pot of people from all over the world and I would say maybe 30% don't have the language and writing skills to be in a regular classroom. The kids don't speak, read, and write English at home because their parents don't. So the classes have to be slower and make many accommodations. Then the 30% who are capable of doing much more are bored and they get into trouble... We have to spend a lot of our education dollars on ESL and that shortchanges the students who are native English speakers. Then there's the other 30% who are basically lazy and won't do any more than what they have to. They slink along under the radar and don't really have to do much.

I've heard people generalize the ESL issue a lot. Truly it would be a lot easier if ALL the kids who don't have the language skills were from Latin America. But that's not the case. An ESL classroom will have Spanish speakers but they also have kids from Europe, Africa, and Asia.

Many of the children are living at around poverty level. They have to go home and care for other children in the family or work after school. They have more pressing issues(like survival, food, and shelter) than homework or learning English. It's a catch-22 situation.

The teachers are forced to teach to the tests and they are observed constantly. I'm not quite sure why but they are micromanaged and under someone's thumb all the time. The classes are stressful and the management is stressful. Maybe one of the biggest problems is that learning and teaching aren't much fun here.

All the teachers I know say the private schools are better. Perhaps because the students parents are economically better off.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:25 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,686,948 times
The layoffs are completely punitive on Jone's part. There are over 1200 openings right now.

Look at all the positions they are taking applications for:

Licensed Job Opportunities | Prospective Employees | Clark County School District

Old 05-17-2012, 04:50 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,294,780 times
I think the teacher layoff situation is more serious than most people are willing to admit. I personally side with the CCSD.
Teachers overtake school board, threatened with arrest - www.ktnv.com

Old 05-17-2012, 06:49 PM

2,723 posts, read 4,771,819 times
I read somewhere awhile back that the prisons in Clark County were hiring teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas