Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 06:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,669 times

Advertisements

I am currently in the Army and stationed at Fort Hood, TX. I am going to college next year and plan on moving to Nevada. What are the jobs looking like for math teachers? Do veterans get any preference when applying for jobs? Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 07:56 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,038,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMooseltoe View Post
What are the jobs looking like for math teachers?
Around 5 years from now? This query seems like an exercise in futility!

CCSD

Old 01-07-2013, 08:51 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMooseltoe View Post
I am currently in the Army and stationed at Fort Hood, TX. I am going to college next year and plan on moving to Nevada. What are the jobs looking like for math teachers? Do veterans get any preference when applying for jobs? Thanks a lot.
I would look into the Troops to Teacher Program.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:53 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
I am a math teacher here and I love the kids and teaching, but I am becoming very bitter towards my employer. I am looking at getting out, to be honest. I teach the highest honors classes and the lowest IEP kids as well as everything in between.

Since I have been teaching, there has always been a great need for qualified math teachers, so getting a job teaching math will be easier than getting a position teaching PE, for example. There have been positions cut, however, because there were so many unfilled positions, no teachers were actually laid off.

Go to the education forum in the general forums and read some of the posts from teachers. You may want to ask questions there regarding a public education position.

I would be happy to answer any specific questions you have if I can.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:58 AM

293 posts, read 641,647 times
I agree with Everdeen, the CCSD is a crap comapny to work for. My wife teaches math and found many opportunities very easily, but there are many licensed teachers sitting at home because they are not certified in a specialty area(math, science, spec ed) The testing to get into a high need area is quite hard, as I have a relative who is a professor in college for math and written 2 math books who has not passed the praxis for Nevada on his 3 tries. He says that most of it is stuff he has never used and is really not needed on a test. I used to teach PE but went back and got a science degree and so I am going to teach Biology. Do not know why I keep trying to make a difference in this district as the board and a lot of the wonderful citizens crucify teachers on a daily basis....

Old 01-09-2013, 09:06 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
A. No Child Left Behind has wrecked teaching, competent, interesting, intellectually curious teachers are leaving the profession.
B. I recommend, that if you are a physically fit person that you look into firefighter jobs. Structure fire/city departments are very good, pay well and give you time off to enjoy life. If you are an outdoors person look into Nevada Division of Forestry, wildfire is interesting work. Few states have more wildland to wander around in than Nevada (actually, only Alaska has more)
C. As the prior poster said, teachers do not get much respect. It is interesting to go to a Little League game or an AYSO game and listen to the parents, teacher bashing occurs constantly. I think used car salesmen and lawyers get more respect. That is a national tragedy.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:36 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
I would look into the Troops to Teacher Program.
I heard that the Troops to Teacher program is not eligible for certain cities, like Las Vegas. I think it was only for extreme low income inner city schools like Chicago, Detroit and LA.(High crime, heavy drug use, bullet proof vest needed) type places.

Vegas does not have any schools that fit that criteria.

Troops-to-Teachers Program

Quote:
The Troops to Teachers program provides funds to recruit, prepare, and support former members of the military services as teachers in high-poverty schools. Successful program candidates obtain certification or licensing as elementary school teachers, secondary school teachers, or vocational or technical teachers and become highly qualified teachers. The program also helps these individuals find employment in high-need local education agencies (LEAs) or charter schools.
Maybe it has changed.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:31 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
A friend of mine left her position as a school nurse with CCSD over frustration with the administration. My son attended K-12 here and I only remember one teacher that ticked me off enough that I went to the principal. One other irritated me, but not to the point of taking any action (some of it was my son's fault- gotta love puberty). Most of his teachers were good. Some were excellent. The rules that the CCSD forced upon them with regards to homework and other things hobbled the great teachers, IMHO.

My stepson attended a magnet high school and the teachers were given a great deal more latitude and autonomy than at the regular schools. This led to excellence. Much of that autonomy has been taken away from what I understand.

I had high hopes for Dwight, but he seems to have alienated the teachers even worse than the last bunch of incompetents we had running the district.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:40 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I had high hopes for Dwight, but he seems to have alienated the teachers even worse than the last bunch of incompetents we had running the district.

Tha happens when you hire someone that was FIRED from the Denver School system for embezzlement

It's the Peter Principle.....left alone, a person will rise to the level of their own incompetence.

Put two gkids thru CCSD...one admittedly was and is still a problem child....other one was great for the most part....he had a Math teacher at Bponanza that was [allegedly ] giving him crap....so I interrogated him ....turned out he was bein an azzhole to the teacher....I told him....when you go back to school after break...you walk up to the teacher, stick out your hand to shake his and say "Mr XXX I know that I've been an azzhole this last semester but I promise thatI will change that."

He aced math and was the star of the class......

Tain't ALWAYS the teachers fault

Old 01-09-2013, 01:16 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post

Tain't ALWAYS the teachers fault
That's for sure. Mr. Cuda had the pleasure of having my son, my stepson, and my nephew in his advanced choir class. I used to receive calls from that poor man on a semi-monthly basis. " Hi Mr. Cuda. Which one of them was it THIS time?" I liked him a lot. There were lots of punishments dished out based on the torture of that man.

The one I went to the principal about was a fourth grade teacher who humiliated my son based on the fact that he didn't have the money that she wanted for some class activity or other on the day it was supposed to be turned in. (You know, the yearly extortion for class supplies and activities because CCSD is spending too much scratch on salaries for administrators).

We had just purchased our home, so I was broke. I was going to send the money with him on Friday (payday), but that wasn't good enough. She made him sit on the stage at lunch and told everyone why. He was crying when he got home.

When I went to see the principal, he started giving me attitude until my ex-husband walked in. Six foot two of angry Oklahoma boy can change an attitude real fast.

My son never had a problem with her again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas