Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 06:53 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,679,519 times

Advertisements

Well, I know the situation and Jones is playing games and posturing. There are over 1200 open positions and I can prove it. Jones will lay off teachers, though. He's a good guy that way.

The teachers in that article that you posted are off their rockers and I wish they would crawl back under whatever rocks they came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 06:59 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Well, I know the situation and Jones is playing games and posturing. There are over 1200 open positions and I can prove it. Jones will lay off teachers, though. He's a good guy that way.

The teachers in that article that you posted are off their rockers and I wish they would crawl back under whatever rocks they came from.
Ironic that educators could be so dumb.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:37 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,262,308 times
Quote:
I can agree with that. It was like watching a bunch of spoiled brat type children. It is really said those idiots are the ones educating our children.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:16 PM

542 posts, read 987,271 times
Doesn't the Union make a valid point?

The state cuts funding, so its the teachers fault the budget is short?

I don't understand how people can be alright with the budget cuts, and be pissed at the teachers for it...

You come home and tell your wife that work is cutting back your hours, so your paychecks will be smaller....then your wife smacks the kids for eating to much?

Old 05-17-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m73m95 View Post
Doesn't the Union make a valid point?

The state cuts funding, so its the teachers fault the budget is short?

I don't understand how people can be alright with the budget cuts, and be pissed at the teachers for it...

You come home and tell your wife that work is cutting back your hours, so your paychecks will be smaller....then your wife smacks the kids for eating to much?
You clearly did not watch the video. The teacher's salaries were not being cut. They wanted a raise even know all the other public sector employees agreed to a pay freeze. The money isn't there. If you watch the video, you will see what a worthless pathetic bunch these teachers are since they act like 10 year olds. It really is quite sad.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:38 PM

I'm actually not sure which side I'm on in this... which is rare for me

I agree the teachers are being greedy (to some extent), however, it dumbfounds me that when the budget gets tight, the first thing to be cut is education.

Will the teachers getting a raise help the situation? Of course not. Will a bunch of pissed off teachers do a good job of teaching our kids? Of course not.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:09 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,679,519 times
I am a teacher, so I am not mad at The Teachers; I am mad at Those Teachers.

The point is valid, but their behavior is atrocious and embarrassing.

Not all teachers got a raise. Only the teachers who completed education credits. They spent up to $10,000 towards a masters degree which the district promised them that if they did, they would be rewarded with a pay increase. None of the teachers who got raises would have sacrificed their time and resources if they had had an inkling that the district would renege.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I am a teacher, so I am not mad at The Teachers; I am mad at Those Teachers.

The point is valid, but their behavior is atrocious and embarrassing.

Not all teachers got a raise. Only the teachers who completed education credits. They spent up to $10,000 towards a masters degree which the district promised them that if they did, they would be rewarded with a pay increase. None of the teachers who got raises would have sacrificed their time and resources if they had had an inkling that the district would renege.
You mean the news didn't tell the WHOLE story? I'm shocked.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:13 PM

My comments were based on what was reported on the news, not what Everdeen has now said. I should have known better than to trust the even the local MSM.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:32 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,135,152 times
Another thing that was sort of glossed over, was that the teachers who had already received raises were not just going to lose the raise, they were expected to pay back the "excess".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas