Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 07:51 AM

151 posts, read 705,266 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband may soon have the opportunity to work in Nevada and he may have the choice between Vegas or Reno. Any recommendations either way? Also, I would look for a special education teaching position once we find out about his situation and our son will be in first grade in the 2007-2008 school year. Any suggestions in regard to Vegas neighborhoods with decent elementary schools? Henderson seems pretty nice, but it is difficult when you have no idea about an area whatsoever! Thanks for any help you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2006, 09:47 AM

11 posts, read 113,717 times
Clark County (Las Vegas) news media is continually running stories about the shortage of teachers . . teachers complain salaries are not high enough to buy a home . . Google ccsd jobs, klas, lvrj, lasvegassun

Old 07-21-2006, 10:14 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,744,309 times
There are teacher shortages here like crazy. And the schools are horrible. We have the second worst schools in the country. The best areas to go to if you want to come out is Summerlin and Green Valley. Summerlin is by far the best but it will cost you a pretty penny to live there. Green Valley is very nice as well and not quite as expensive. Stay clear of North Las Vegas and especially the north east area of the valley. In those areas you will encounter huge populations of non-English speaking students and it will make your teaching job very hard. If you are choosing between Vegas and Reno I'd say go to Reno. It's nicer, not as ****ty and has better schools.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:21 PM

33 posts, read 414,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan
There are teacher shortages here like crazy. And the schools are horrible. We have the second worst schools in the country. The best areas to go to if you want to come out is Summerlin and Green Valley. Summerlin is by far the best but it will cost you a pretty penny to live there. Green Valley is very nice as well and not quite as expensive. Stay clear of North Las Vegas and especially the north east area of the valley. In those areas you will encounter huge populations of non-English speaking students and it will make your teaching job very hard. If you are choosing between Vegas and Reno I'd say go to Reno. It's nicer, not as ****ty and has better schools.
Yes it is true about the teacher shortage in Vegas. But realy where do you guys read that the schools are that bad in Vegas they are actualy fine it's possible they say there bad in teacher shortage but not in anyway else don't listen to RedWingsFan. I don't get why you realy hate Las Vegas so much RedWingsFan is it because you realy don't live in Las Vegas and never been there and are just jealous because you live in a very small town in the middle of nowhere? Literaly I just thing you hate Las Vegas to much for being an actual resident.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:23 PM

I actually live in Las Vegas and have been here for 9 years. I know the schools are bad because I spent two years teaching in them. Also, if you do a little research for school rankings you will see that Nevada ranks 48 out of 50 states (almost at the bottom). They have almost the worst schools in the country. Furthermore, go to greatschools website and look up the individual schools. You will see that the majority of children are not passing basic subjects. Do some research.. I've done it... I know the facts. The information is out there but you aren't looking for it. Another fact - Nevada high school graduates come in dead last when it comes to getting a college education. The school system here is bad.. please do some research.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:45 PM

33 posts, read 414,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan
I actually live in Las Vegas and have been here for 9 years. I know the schools are bad because I spent two years teaching in them. Also, if you do a little research for school rankings you will see that Nevada ranks 48 out of 50 states (almost at the bottom). They have almost the worst schools in the country. Furthermore, go to greatschools website and look up the individual schools. You will see that the majority of children are not passing basic subjects. Do some research.. I've done it... I know the facts. The information is out there but you aren't looking for it. Another fact - Nevada high school graduates come in dead last when it comes to getting a college education. The school system here is bad.. please do some research.
Oh so you meant in failing. I thought you meant the schools are bad in quality. Well you meantion that to much because it's just because the majority of the people are failing. So anything wrong with that realy? Some pople are good some pople are bad it's a way of life RedWingsFan. Now get a life instead of insulting great cities out of jealousy. Go insult Fargo, ND,Los Angeles, CA,Houston, TX,Miami, Florida,San Francisco, CA, Seattle, WA, or any other city you can think of because Las Vegas is a great city and you know that well.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangladesh
Oh so you meant in failing. I thought you meant the schools are bad in quality. Well you meantion that to much because it's just because the majority of the people are failing. So anything wrong with that realy? Some pople are good some pople are bad it's a way of life RedWingsFan. Now get a life instead of insulting great cities out of jealousy. Go insult Fargo, ND,Los Angeles, CA,Houston, TX,Miami, Florida,San Francisco, CA, Seattle, WA, or any other city you can think of because Las Vegas is a great city and you know that well.

Your responses kill me. It's almost as if I'm having a conversation with a 12 year old....or maybe you were (gulp) educated by the Clark County School District!

There would be no reason to be jealous of Las Vegas. I've lived here 9 years and know it well. If I liked it I wouldn't have my house on the market and be planning to leave the state once it sells. This is a nice city to visit for a weekend but it's not a place to raise children. We had fun here before being parents. Now that we have to kids we are pulling out, I would never put them in the schools here or subject them to crap this city is filled with.

I'm done with this conversation with you.... case closed.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:35 PM

151 posts, read 705,266 times
Redwings,

What part of the Vegas area do you live in? As the originator of this thread and a possible future resident of the area, I am trying to obtain as much information as I can prior to making a decision. I have heard that some areas such as Summerlin and Henderson are more family friendly. Any information would be appreciated and good luck to you with your home selling..I know what a chore that can be!!

Old 07-27-2006, 10:49 PM

27 posts, read 183,168 times
Redwingsfan-I completely agree with you. Maybe Bangladesh was educated in the C. C. school district. Maybe part of the reason you feel like you are dealing with a 12 year old is due to the many spelling errors in Bangladesh's posts. The schools here are horrible with the exception of just a few. Yes, Magnet schools are good & there will be 4 Empowerment schools during the 2006-2007 school year. But, I have also checked the great schools website(s) and we should be embarrassed by our school system. I am really looking forward to putting my house on the market and relocating next year. There are much better cities to raise a family in. Also, I am not a "newby" in this town. I gave it an 11 year trial and wish I had only stayed for 1.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:48 PM

4 posts, read 20,222 times
Lived in Vegas 9 years, taught in Vegas 4 years after retiring back East.The schools have some difficulties depending upon where you live, just like everywhere else in this country. Summerlin and Henderson are the "named" areas, I live in The Lakes area an older area ( my condo is 4years old ( that is old for Vegas) with some very, very good schools nearby.Clark county has a lower pay scale than some places , back East I made 3X as much money but they took retirement, all kinds of taxes, social security, out. Here they only take Federal Tax so all in all you end up with about the same. It might be hard purchasing a 3-4 hundred $$ home when you first start teaching. However, when I first started teaching many many years ago I couldn't afford a house either. I had to save, etc...I don't think that Vegas is a great family town but I have met people who grew up here and they are none the worse for wear... However, I am leaving here I have had enough of Vegas and going back East..
PS The teaching shortage is in the area of Special Ed and Math
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas