Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 07:48 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,314,946 times

Advertisements

In another thread I learned that Steve Wynn is vegan. I went to Wynn's website and saw some stuff about vegan dining there. I watched a great 15 minute video about the property (a Ferrari dealership in the hotel? REALLY? And more importantly, Manolo Blahnik...) and looked at some of the menus for the many restaurants there, curious as to what they offered.

I'll admit I only looked at about half of the menus, I was only able to access them after I acted like I wanted a reservation. In that searching I saw lots of meat dishes, but nothing vegetarian.

Anyone know which of the restaurants there specifically have vegan options? I am just curious what they might offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 08:39 AM

9,855 posts, read 10,426,878 times
A Wynn for local vegans : Dining Out :: Las Vegas CityLife

Old 04-22-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Thanks!

I must say I am not very impressed. The Beach Club has hummus dip? So does half the cafes in Des Moines. One place lists house salad. Well, last I checked house salads are often vegan. Another lists minestrone soup...also not hard to make vegetarian/vegan. Yes, there are lots of choices here, but...well, I don't know what I was hoping for!

I guess I was expecting more entree-type things. The stuff on that list I can pick off most menus, it's not all that unique. I think Cheesecake Factory has more innovative veggie stuff!

Old 04-22-2012, 09:08 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,144,427 times
If I may ask, why vegan? I try to get my veggies, I grow a garden, I eat free-range eggs. I eschew veal because of the animal cruelty involved in raising it, but I don't get vegans. Why is cheese or eggs a bad thing?

Old 04-22-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
If I may ask, why vegan? I try to get my veggies, I grow a garden, I eat free-range eggs. I eschew veal because of the animal cruelty involved in raising it, but I don't get vegans. Why is cheese or eggs a bad thing?
I am not vegan. Steve Wynn is. Because of this there was supposed to be a vast amount of food available for vegans, which would be good for vegetarians, too. If it says VEGAN I know I am safe, because believe it or not I have been told in restaurants "It is vegetarian, it just has chicken in it."

Vegans do not eat anything from an animal including cheese and even honey. I am vegetarian, and LOVE eggs! I would have a lot of trouble giving them up. Some vegetarians would say some cheese is not vegetarian because of the rennet (made from cows stomach lining). Not all cheeses use that type of rennet, though.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:35 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,144,427 times
The Cracked Egg, Hedary's, Market Grille. All of those places offer nice veggie meals, but they are all concentrated on the northwest side of town.

Paymon's is a Mediterranean joint on Maryland Parkway that is not very far from the strip. They have lots of veggie options. In that area, there is a Bahama Breeze. Get the Cuban bread. Fresh bread, marinated tomatoes, fresh basil, yum.

I hope you enjoy your visit. It's nice this time of year.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:44 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,013,786 times
Quote:
The Cracked Egg, Hedary's, Market Grille. All of those places offer nice veggie meals, but they are all concentrated on the northwest side of town.

Paymon's is a Mediterranean joint on Maryland Parkway that is not very far from the strip. They have lots of veggie options. In that area, there is a Bahama Breeze. Get the Cuban bread. Fresh bread, marinated tomatoes, fresh basil, yum.
Cuban bread is made with lard. That's why the OP is so concerned about menus. People don't know what's in their food. So they cannot advise someone who cannot eat certain items because of allergies. Or will not eat certain items because of philosophical qualms.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:53 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,013,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Thanks!

I must say I am not very impressed. The Beach Club has hummus dip? So does half the cafes in Des Moines. One place lists house salad. Well, last I checked house salads are often vegan. Another lists minestrone soup...also not hard to make vegetarian/vegan. Yes, there are lots of choices here, but...well, I don't know what I was hoping for!

I know exactly what you're hoping for -- elevated vegan cuisine, artfully prepared by thoughtful chefs. Vegetarian tagines with ras el hanout; root vegetable trios, eggplant beignets, that sort of thing.

You're looking in the wrong town. This ain't Berkeley. This is a steakhouse town that can't understand why people wouldn't want a load of bacon in their spinach. Our restaurants are set up and stocked for carnivores.

Your best bet will be Indian restaurants. We have a few good ones here.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I know exactly what you're hoping for -- elevated vegan cuisine, artfully prepared by thoughtful chefs. Vegetarian tagines with ras el hanout; root vegetable trios, eggplant beignets, that sort of thing.

You're looking in the wrong town. This ain't Berkeley. This is a steakhouse town that can't understand why people wouldn't want a load of bacon in their spinach. Our restaurants are set up and stocked for carnivores.

Your best bet will be Indian restaurants. We have a few good ones here.
Good Indian I can get HERE, and often I eat it once or twice a week. I can even get great Indian food once in awhile at work where the head chef is from India.

"Looking in the wrong town?" Um, I was just thinking it would be nice to try something different while I am not home, so I was looking for options. I was just disappointed that a bazillionaire who is supposed to be Vegan wouldn't proudly serve something other than hummus dip or a side salad and call it Vegan Cuisine. I am not someone who would likely grace the threshold of The Wynn in my lifetime anyway, it was just curiosity. (I like to research stuff) I'm perfectly happy eating at a cheap hole-in-the-wall type place. I'm the opposite of a food snob

If the restaurants are set up for carnivores, then they must disappoint the human population that visits there since humans are omnivores. The tigers at the Mirage would like it though!

Old 04-22-2012, 11:46 AM

681 posts, read 2,803,437 times
Quote:
Many people go vegan for health reasons, not neccessarily due to animal cruelty issues. I'm not saying all do, but this is another reason to go vegan.

I have been a vegetarian all my life, however I still had very high cholestorol ... I decided to go vegan a few months ago, and now have my cholestorol under control without the help of medications. It was the dairy products (milk, eggs, yogurt, cheese) that elevated my levels greatly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas