Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 06:24 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,625,973 times

Advertisements

Since you are not from California or Nevada, you must try a grilled cheese from In N Out. Even without the meat it is pretty awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 10:01 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,696,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Now I wonder why there weren't vegan menus on the Wynn website?
I did not use one since I was happy to order a caprise salad off the regular menu. I don't know how different it is.

There is also Raw Cafe out in Summerlin area. It is pretty good.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:39 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,360,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I could not stick to a strictly vegan diet but here is a good resource:
Engine 2 If I was vegan I doubt I would eat at restaurants. The only way to make sure it is prepared the right way is to do it yourself. Have you seen "Forks Over Knives"?
I made the vegetarian "meatloaf" from The Engine 2 Diet book tonight for dinner. It was really good. Much better than the veggie loaf using lentils.

I don't get why people are so afraid of vegetarian diets. Vegetarians mostly just do not eat meat, but eat everything else. And there are so many meat alternatives. Cheese alternatives as well. Egg alternatives even. And oil is not a health food no matter how much Scoop believes that.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:42 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,058,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
And oil is not a health food no matter how much Scoop believes that.
Salmon oil and olive oil are MOST CERTAINLY health food. In moderation. Google "superfoods." It may surprise you. I eat a LOT of superfoods -- sardines, avocados, pomegranates, blueberries, almonds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Wearing a leather shoe and consuming a dead chicken are two different things. But I didn't come here to debate my food choices with you.
I'm sure the animal that died to make those two items (leather shoe, winner winner chicken dinner) didn't feel the same way about it. I'm sure they felt it was exactly the same thing. As much as they're capable of feeling, of course.

My philosophy is this -- for me to live, other things must die. Mostly plants. But animals too. I can either accept it and be grateful for what I receive during the life I live. Or I can ignore those facts and come up with a convoluted philosophy that somehow absolves me of my impact on the planet. (And I don't think there is any honest way to do that.)

To take another page from Maddox -- have you considered how many small critters die when man harvests the grain, beans and vegetables in the fields? The mice, snakes, pheasants and all those other animals that make the field their home have an annual genocide around harvest time. Are their lives worth any less than the chicken, pig, fish or cow?

It is my opinion that unless the vegetarian grows 100% of his or her own food, it is a fundamentally dishonest philosophy. Animals still die so that we may sustain our lives. No difference at all as far as I'm concerned.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:50 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,360,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Salmon oil and olive oil are MOST CERTAINLY health food. In moderation. Google "superfoods." It may surprise you. I eat a LOT of superfoods -- sardines, avocados, pomegranates, blueberries, almonds.
I repeat. Oil is not a health food. It still impacts weight, and heart health. I follow the teachings of Dr. John McDougall, Caldwell Esselstyn, Rip Esselstyn and a few others. I am not an idiot. I do my research and I know what works for me, so I do it.
I think if a person does not have a weight problem, or heart disease, or diabetes,etc, then by all means, drink..err, eat your oil.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:55 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,058,284 times
Quote:
I repeat. Oil is not a health food. It still impacts weight, and heart health. I follow the teachings of Dr. John McDougall, Caldwell Esselstyn, Rip Esselstyn and a few others. I am not an idiot. I do my research and I know what works for me, so I do it.
I think if a person does not have a weight problem, or heart disease, or diabetes,etc, then by all means, drink..err, eat your oil.
This doctor at the Mayo Clinic disagrees: Olive oil: What are the health benefits? - MayoClinic.com

Old 04-23-2012, 07:00 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,355,063 times
Quote:
I made the vegetarian "meatloaf" from The Engine 2 Diet book tonight for dinner. It was really good. Much better than the veggie loaf using lentils.

I don't get why people are so afraid of vegetarian diets. Vegetarians mostly just do not eat meat, but eat everything else. And there are so many meat alternatives. Cheese alternatives as well. Egg alternatives even. And oil is not a health food no matter how much Scoop believes that.
I make meatloaf with Lightlife Smart Ground. I make it the traditional way using oatmeal, onions, and catsup in the mix. I also add mushrooms. It comes out SO GOOD and makes good sandwiches the next day. It bakes in half the time as beef meatloaf and is not greasy.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Since you are not from California or Nevada, you must try a grilled cheese from In N Out. Even without the meat it is pretty awesome.
What makes it so good? I've never been to In N Out.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
This doctor at the Mayo Clinic disagrees: Olive oil: What are the health benefits? - MayoClinic.com
Olive oils is a good fat, that is true. But it's not health food, and should only be consumed in very small quantities.

Weight Watchers meal plans even tell you to get in your "healthy oils" but in very small doses.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:07 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,696,219 times
Quote:

To take another page from Maddox -- have you considered how many small critters die when man harvests the grain, beans and vegetables in the fields? The mice, snakes, pheasants and all those other animals that make the field their home have an annual genocide around harvest time. Are their lives worth any less than the chicken, pig, fish or cow?
Most vegetarians and vegans that that adopt this lifestyle for compassion reasons are confronted with that tired, old argument (it has been around much longer than Maddox). I can help you out with that by letting everyone know what comes next. "But what about all the critters that get stepped on as you walk down the street?" Ants and the like. And then there is the "If you drive a car, the manufacturing process kills other living things. Why don't you give up your car? You are such a hypocrite."

People who, for reasons of compassion, give up eating flesh or use of any animal products, do it knowing that they cannot be 100% perfect. They desire to make the biggest impact they can. People are charitable in their own ways. If I am giving money to a charitable organization, I would not expect someone to call me out on the carpet as to why I am not giving even more money to another.

Get some new material, and at least come up with something original.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas