Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 11:06 AM

207 posts, read 907,687 times

Advertisements

I've been going for walks but I had a bit of a scary episode where I was nearly run over so I was wondering where the veteran locals would recommend going for a relaxing, healthy stroll.

I'm near the Sahara/Decatur intersection and I'm about to head off to the strip for my walk today. I'd like to do the parks thing but I am a rather large (6'2" 250) single male with a goatee and I am conscience of how I may appear to parents worried about who is hanging out around areas with their kids running and playing.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 11:18 AM

818 posts, read 3,699,517 times
You live awfully close to the Springs Preserve. Give that a try.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:35 PM

515 posts, read 1,833,078 times
There is the Meadows Mall. A/C, food, drinks, people. I used to work there YEARS ago for Sears. We opened up at 7:00am the rest of the stores didnt open up until 9 (I think) but the mall would open to doors to the public so they could walk indoors. The stores remianed closed until 9, but people had a place to walk.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:46 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,368,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhale View Post
I've been going for walks but I had a bit of a scary episode where I was nearly run over so I was wondering where the veteran locals would recommend going for a relaxing, healthy stroll.

I'm near the Sahara/Decatur intersection and I'm about to head off to the strip for my walk today. I'd like to do the parks thing but I am a rather large (6'2" 250) single male with a goatee and I am conscience of how I may appear to parents worried about who is hanging out around areas with their kids running and playing.

Thanks for any help.
Forget about what others MIGHT think. The news media has done that to us, and it's a shame because there are actually very few criminals out there preying on children. They make it sound like every male within 100 yards of a kid is going to grab them. It's ridiculous. Now a kid can't even play outside because of unnecessary fears brought on by merchants of chaos in the media.

The parks are for everybody. Enjoy them. It wasn't long ago that my wife and I complained that we didn't have any parks in Las Vegas. Now there are dozens of nice ones. We take our dogs to several of them. But if you really want to walk in a very large, wonderfully scenic, historic location, where there is actually shade to walk in, and without being bothered by other people's considerations, I highly recommend Floyd Lamb-Tule Springs Park. It is out in the boonies and there is no playground. It isn't free though as there is an entrance fee. It was recently turned over by the state to the city, so the fees have changed a little. My state park annual pass is still good though, up until Dec. 31st. You might want to just pay for the day until you decide if it's worth buying an annual pass. If you have a fishing license you can also fish there. Best way to get there for you is to take Decatur north to US 95N to Durango. Go north on Durango until you see the sign which is just a little ways past Grand Teton. Everyone I take there for the first time says the same thing...they had no idea such a peaceful and beautiful oasis existed in Las Vegas.

Driving Directions from W Sahara Ave & S Decatur Blvd, Las Vegas, NV to Floyd Lamb State Park, 9200 Tule Springs Rd, Las Vegas, NV

Sunset Park at Eastern and Sunset Rd is nice too, and plenty of room for adults to get away from the kids.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:58 PM

697 posts, read 3,280,007 times
Don't worry about what other people think. I am roughly the same size as you and I run and walk in parks arund where I live now. I don't notice anyone looking at me weird or anything. I will be doing the same in Las Vegas when I get there. Let other people think what they want. It is a city, you will never see these people again. As stated above, the parks are for everyone. So get out there and enjoy them.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:58 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,218,665 times
Or you can simple come out our way. Anyplace between Alexander and Tropical Parkway and Teneya and the Mountain will do. It is all county so the dog can go off leash. Nobody will pay any attention. If you stay off the secition line roads you see a car about every 15 minutes.

Park on Florine between my home and Buzz's.

Or go out to Lone Mountain and walk around it. Got a trail up the spine if you feel the urge. Park in the Park lot.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:38 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,296,262 times
Come out to Aliante sometime in the upper northern valley. We have 24 miles of interconnecting trails here. You never get bored.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:05 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,509,301 times
redwhale...next time you go out for a walk, put some pants on and leave the raincoat home!

Old 09-13-2007, 10:06 PM

19 posts, read 148,318 times
Try Bob Baskin Park on Oakey just east of valley View....a great little park with a nice walking path and tennis courts. The Springs Preserve is not far from here.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:12 AM

203 posts, read 545,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhale View Post

Thanks for any help.

take the side streets in your neighborhood that are less traveled thats what i did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: