Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 06:17 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of that tonite, while walking my ferret. The unfairness of it! My ferret loves exploring new territory, and when we pass a gate to a community, I'll find him pulling me by the leash: New Territory Dad! Let's explore!

Let's say you live in a non-HOA, non-gated community in Las Vegas, and any number of the communities around you are gated. No Trespassing, Private Property! And? You go out for a long walk, and you wish to explore some new neighborhood, as you've gotten tired of just walking the same streets, day after day.

Those in the gated communities have every right to walk in your neighborhood, but you can't walk in theirs. Why? Perhaps they think those of us in non-gated communities are not to be trusted, we're on the dangerous side? Hey! Why not open those gates to your other neighbors, now and then, show some friendliness, and you'll find out we don't all have criminal records! Just a few of us!

In my neighborhood, we don't put up signs: If you live in an adjacent gated community, you're not allowed in our neighborhood. If your gated community is so idyllic, then stay there! We don't want you here! And if it comes to that, our Neighborhood Watch is going to start checking for ID's!

How about you? Do you see any unfairness to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 07:04 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,241 times
Okay, I will take the bait....

The homeowners behind the gates pay a fee in perpetuity for the gates, walls, streets, sidewalks, and maintenance of all of it. The developer, in conjunction with local government, built in the cost of infrastructure to support the development in the home price, HOA dues, and the whole SID/LID thing. There is no issue of fairness...your price of admission is the same as people inside.

The people inside also pay taxes to various entities that entitle them to access to publicly-funded roads, sidewalks, and parks--so like the rest of us outside the gates, they can walk on our public concrete.

I don't think there is anything wrong or risky about you and your ferret walking down a private street, but it is not a fairness issue. I don't mind kids from outside our neighborhood playing on our HOA-owned playground, but we are not gated, so other than the liability exposure, we have nothing to lose, right?

Old 01-09-2015, 07:09 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
All I could think of... ..

Nice marmot.

Vee vant zat money Lebowski.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:15 AM

45,362 posts, read 60,546,019 times
The short answer is because the streets, sidewalks, etc. typically aren't public rights of way. They're usually owned by the HOA and considered private property. That would be like you walking your ferret and coming into my yard, it's private property and you have no right to be there.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:16 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,330,509 times
The only thing I got out of all of this is he walks his ferret. Wait, what?

Old 01-09-2015, 07:48 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
There are so many places I can go that I guess the few that are off limits to me aren't a big deal. But I see the point!

Old 01-09-2015, 08:07 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
The only thing I got out of all of this is he walks his ferret. Wait, what?
This is Las Vegas. We have people that walk monkeys and other wild animals. (Then when they escape, it makes the news)

Old 01-09-2015, 08:24 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
One night, on a much longer walk from home, we passed by a gated townhouse complex, the gate for the cars was closed, but there was a doorway on the sidewalk leading into the complex, with the door half-open. 3am in the morning. Curiously, we walk in, just to get a peek around and leave, and? Horror of horrors! The door slammed shut, and you needed a key to exit!

That taught me a good lesson! Never again! Waiting for a car to come through so we could exit!

I understand the expense of these communities to maintain their own roads/sidewalks, but hey! Like once a month, open the gates with a sign: Welcome neighbors! Take a walk around!

Old 01-09-2015, 08:48 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
One night, on a much longer walk from home, we passed by a gated townhouse complex, the gate for the cars was closed, but there was a doorway on the sidewalk leading into the complex, with the door half-open. 3am in the morning. Curiously, we walk in, just to get a peek around and leave, and? Horror of horrors! The door slammed shut, and you needed a key to exit!

That taught me a good lesson! Never again! Waiting for a car to come through so we could exit!

I understand the expense of these communities to maintain their own roads/sidewalks, but hey! Like once a month, open the gates with a sign: Welcome neighbors! Take a walk around!
I will hazard a guess that many who choose to live behind gates are fearful (other then the enclaves of the rich, who do it to separate from the commoners). They wouldn't be inclined to welcome those they fear.

I, personally, don't get it, as I find gates more of an inconvenience. Who wants to wait in line to go home??

Old 01-09-2015, 11:06 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
Basically, private property is allowed to be regulated. You don't walk in (with ferret, parrot, or alone) where private property says so. So, you can't walk inside Joe's gates. AND Joe can't park in your private driveway, pick the flowers in your lawn, nor walk into your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas