Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 02:05 PM

105 posts, read 575,093 times

Advertisements

We're moving to LV next year to work (teachers) and from what I see on tv, looks like the economy is really, really bad. Is it that bad?

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010...ide-among-bot/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 02:09 PM

Sorry, I don't know how to do this, but here's the article:

Las Vegas economy among worst in the world, report says - Tuesday, Nov. 30, 2010 | 7 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun

Old 06-14-2011, 02:15 PM

933 posts, read 2,361,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligali View Post
Next time I would suggest linking to a more timely article. This one is more than six months old.

The economy here has improved very slightly but still is a mess.

Last edited by owelles; 06-14-2011 at 02:26 PM..

Old 06-14-2011, 02:22 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,222,191 times
Depends on if you are looking for a job or a career.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:48 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,502,407 times
So, you've both secured jobs as teachers---congratulations!

sincerely, its great you both have jobs, and in your chosen field. You're not reduced to working at a convenience store for minimum wage. But, also, you are obviously aware of the state of the economy in your new city.

Please, keep the economy in mind when you assign projects,etc. Don't just assume parents have the extra time and money to feed your little projects. Materials, markers, poster boards, glue sticks, crayons, paints, etc all cost money. Many parents have more than one child to provide for. also, due to the economy, many parents work more than one job.

Don't just assume your world is the only one they live in. I've known parents to come in exhausted from one job, have to drag out to another in a few hours, barely able to make ends meet, and their kids hit them up with projects, etc the teacher thinks will be "so much fun" for the family to do. Oh, yes, I know, the parents aren't supposed to "do" the project, its for the kids to do or "how will they ever learn" but how does a kid in 4th grade run to Hobby Lobby and buy $50 worth of materials with 2 days notice to do a project?' Oh, of course, teachers don't expect you to "buy" anything, just use what you have around the house. Well, it doesn't always work that way, not all parents are part-time crafters with stuff just sitting there, waiting to be whipped up into the perfect project.

I always had the time and money to work with my kids and their projects, but pitied the poor kids who's parents didn't. Then, I'd overhear "teacher gossip" ---you can always tell the kids who's parents care, take time and effort with their kids, as opposed to those who just don't care to be involved.

Try to put a few simple facts together. some kids have parents with the means to help with those projects, some don't. the finished project isn't a reflection of how much the parent values their child's education, its a reflection of the resources---time and money, the family has, and the priorities assigned to such resources.----ie, do I have the money to buy markers, poster boards, glue sticks, etc and spend half the night helping my 3rd grader make a perfect project to impress the teacher (who has a job), or do I spend that money on food for dinner, electric bill, and then go off to my second job?

Just realize that economy you're thriving in isn't the same for everyone, including many of your students!

Old 06-14-2011, 03:12 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,168,828 times
Marylee is right.

There's also a huge language problem. It's hard to communicate with the students and even harder to communicate with the parents. Your jobs will be tough and you will feel like you are beating your head against the wall. You will come to believe that no one cares about education at all.

I don't believe this is true. We just have too many people with too many struggles right now. Mom and Dad don't learn English because they are working 3 part time jobs with no bennies each. They are always at work so the kids have to take care of themselves or rely on friends or extended family. Mom and Dad worry about food, rent, and utilities.....they don't have anything left to do school projects or work with their kids.

Lots of people say raising taxes is the answer. Personally, I don't think throwing money at the problem will help much. What needs to change is Mom and Dad need full time work with bennies at a living wage.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:44 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,502,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Marylee is right.

There's also a huge language problem. It's hard to communicate with the students and even harder to communicate with the parents. Your jobs will be tough and you will feel like you are beating your head against the wall. You will come to believe that no one cares about education at all.

I don't believe this is true. We just have too many people with too many struggles right now. Mom and Dad don't learn English because they are working 3 part time jobs with no bennies each. They are always at work so the kids have to take care of themselves or rely on friends or extended family. Mom and Dad worry about food, rent, and utilities.....they don't have anything left to do school projects or work with their kids.

Lots of people say raising taxes is the answer. Personally, I don't think throwing money at the problem will help much. What needs to change is Mom and Dad need full time work with bennies at a living wage.

Its sad, but many families face such realities. many educated, professional people work 2-3 PT jobs with no bennies just to make ends meet. My dh is an IT manager, comes home and works as a cashier at a local grocery store 2 nights/week for some "extra' cash. I have some work-at-home jobs that allow me time to work with my kids. But even still, we are hard-pressed for money, and we are employed!

We had friends who lived in Henderson, bought their house for 180K, sold for 190K. The next few years, the real estate market boomed, the same house went for ~ $450K! Then, the whole neighborhood tumbled. Many people had HELOC's, found themselves upside down, lots of foreclosures, there's been a lot of financial pain out there.

also, for teachers, realize like the AP said---many parents don't speak English. They simply don't understand your pretty little notes to "just" make dioramas of the Civil War, or dress up like a cowboy for pioneer day, or bring in a dozen cupcakes for a party, yadda, yadda. Perhaps, we need to get back to basics? When I went to school, we never did those silly projects, yet, somehow, I managed to get through, went on to garner 4 college degrees, was a national Merit finalist, etc, all without crayons and glue sticks up my derierre!

Old 06-14-2011, 03:45 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,516,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

sincerely, its great you both have jobs, and in your chosen field. You're not reduced to working at a convenience store for minimum wage. But, also, you are obviously aware of the state of the economy in your new city.

Please, keep the economy in mind when you assign projects,etc. Don't just assume parents have the extra time and money to feed your little projects. Materials, markers, poster boards, glue sticks, crayons, paints, etc all cost money. Many parents have more than one child to provide for. also, due to the economy, many parents work more than one job.

Don't just assume your world is the only one they live in. I've known parents to come in exhausted from one job, have to drag out to another in a few hours, barely able to make ends meet, and their kids hit them up with projects, etc the teacher thinks will be "so much fun" for the family to do. Oh, yes, I know, the parents aren't supposed to "do" the project, its for the kids to do or "how will they ever learn" but how does a kid in 4th grade run to Hobby Lobby and buy $50 worth of materials with 2 days notice to do a project?' Oh, of course, teachers don't expect you to "buy" anything, just use what you have around the house. Well, it doesn't always work that way, not all parents are part-time crafters with stuff just sitting there, waiting to be whipped up into the perfect project.

I always had the time and money to work with my kids and their projects, but pitied the poor kids who's parents didn't. Then, I'd overhear "teacher gossip" ---you can always tell the kids who's parents care, take time and effort with their kids, as opposed to those who just don't care to be involved.

Try to put a few simple facts together. some kids have parents with the means to help with those projects, some don't. the finished project isn't a reflection of how much the parent values their child's education, its a reflection of the resources---time and money, the family has, and the priorities assigned to such resources.----ie, do I have the money to buy markers, poster boards, glue sticks, etc and spend half the night helping my 3rd grader make a perfect project to impress the teacher (who has a job), or do I spend that money on food for dinner, electric bill, and then go off to my second job?

Just realize that economy you're thriving in isn't the same for everyone, including many of your students!

Congrats to caligali on getting a job as a teacher and moving to LV!

If you have a steady job that pays fairly decent, you should be OK here in town. Make sure you have jobs secured before you move here, otherwise, even though the local economy has improved only slightly, it WILL be not so good for you. You should also do a bit of research before you move here and decide for yourself whether you think the economy here is bad or not for you.

Good post Marylee, it rings true both for your location in Texas and definately here in Las Vegas.

Although I have to say we have some pretty neat donation programs for school supplies at the beginning of every school year, to encourage and support those children who's parents can't afford their childrens school supplies.

Olive Crest, Channel 5, Citi-Bank and Nevada Youth Alliance (City of Las Vegas) are just a few of the many children's organizations that help kids get the school supplies they need.

If anyone is interested...August and the new school year will be here before you know it. If you see an advertisement for any one of these great charities for their "school year supplies" drives, even donating simple things like pens, paper, glue...dollar store items...is extremely helpful for these kids!

Last edited by MomMom; 06-14-2011 at 04:57 PM..

Old 06-14-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

We teach in university, not public schools.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:42 PM

78 posts, read 119,332 times
If you can gamble, eat out, party, buy coach and other designer clothes then you can buy school supplies at the 99 cent store. Sn- Don't have children if you can't afford them or have time to raise them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas