Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:57 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,235,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuyingWhenLow View Post
I hope you're not an English teacher! hahahahh I'm just kidding. I really don't understand the antimosity towards teachers. It seems that people don't understand how important they are to the future of this country.

Teachers are more important than Wall Street bankers, I can tell you that!
So true!

I teach abroad.

But I'd never teach in the U.S. Most entirely because there is no respect there. No one likes teachers, no one respects the profession.

Also, anyone who thinks teachers have it easy, has never taught before. I've worked in many office type jobs, and those are easy jobs. You sit on the computer half of the day, doing whatever you want to do. You go hit the vending machines whenever you feel like it. You go talk to Joe over in Accounting (or whoever) whenever you get the urge.

When you are teaching though...you are full-on, the center of attention at ALL times. You are constantly disciplining, contantly engaging, and constantly working hard for every dime you make. Then when you aren't in front of the students, you are constantly trying to plan and organize your lessons, grade papers, and prepare yourself for the next day. Any failed preparation shows through immediately in the classroom.

Anyone who thinks teachers do nothing, I would love to throw them in a classroom for a week with 25 random teenagers (and if they are American ones, a decent number will have a few serious other issues well beyond anything you have any control over). I think any of the many anti-teacher types out there, will probably find within themselves a whole new respect for the profession, if they were locked in a classroom with them for a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 08:21 AM

320 posts, read 1,130,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligali View Post
We were hired already. Do you think university teachears move to an area, *hoping* to get hired. Are you joking? You must be.
No, I must have missed that part.

Why are you so concerned with the economy then if you and your spouse good gigs all lined up?

You should be posting about where is the best buffet.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:10 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,522,262 times
Three cheers for teachears!

Old 06-17-2011, 05:20 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,142,068 times
I LOVE good teachers and empathize with ALL teachers.....andn thoroughly dislike any and all arrogance

Old 06-17-2011, 10:41 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,906,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
So true!

I teach abroad.

But I'd never teach in the U.S. Most entirely because there is no respect there. No one likes teachers, no one respects the profession.

Also, anyone who thinks teachers have it easy, has never taught before. I've worked in many office type jobs, and those are easy jobs. You sit on the computer half of the day, doing whatever you want to do. You go hit the vending machines whenever you feel like it. You go talk to Joe over in Accounting (or whoever) whenever you get the urge.

When you are teaching though...you are full-on, the center of attention at ALL times. You are constantly disciplining, contantly engaging, and constantly working hard for every dime you make. Then when you aren't in front of the students, you are constantly trying to plan and organize your lessons, grade papers, and prepare yourself for the next day. Any failed preparation shows through immediately in the classroom.

Anyone who thinks teachers do nothing, I would love to throw them in a classroom for a week with 25 random teenagers (and if they are American ones, a decent number will have a few serious other issues well beyond anything you have any control over). I think any of the many anti-teacher types out there, will probably find within themselves a whole new respect for the profession, if they were locked in a classroom with them for a week.
I don't know why anybody would want the job. It is a crappy job. You get stuck with 25 animals all day who don't respect you and then their parents that don't respect you and then the community who thinks you make too much money for being abused and cussed at by a bunch of kids that will be nothing but inmates one day anyway. If you want a job where people hate you at least get paid good for it- be a lawyer!

Old 06-18-2011, 05:57 AM

105 posts, read 574,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I don't know why anybody would want the job. It is a crappy job. You get stuck with 25 animals all day who don't respect you and then their parents that don't respect you and then the community who thinks you make too much money for being abused and cussed at by a bunch of kids that will be nothing but inmates one day anyway. If you want a job where people hate you at least get paid good for it- be a lawyer!
OR be a law professor. But I don't feel negatively about teaching; I think it's a privilege. And a huge responsibility. Some people resent you, though. You spend your life pursuing scholarly research -- really your whole life if you're good at it -- and it may not always be evident that what you are doing, earning a living doing, is either really useful to anyone or fair to those who earn a living with their hands. Other cultures are more respectful towards teachers; maybe this is why the US is lagging more and more behind.

We have in this world all kinds of people, good and not so good. Research suggests that about 4% of us are sociopaths, who have some sort of physiological disability and can't feel normal emotions: no empathy, no sense of responsibility towards others. In that 4% not all are killers, but many are, and the prisons have a disproportionate number of these people. (The good news is that 96% of us are fairly decent and don't really want to hurt anyone, and feel badly to at least some degree if we do.) But, in my experience at least, teachers are rarely or seldom in the 4% group.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:42 PM

1,631 posts, read 3,954,649 times
If your thinking of sending your child to UNLV you will want to read this.

Smatresk reveals scope of UNLV cuts

Nine departments will be eliminated at UNLV. Eighteen degree programs will be gone. Two hundred fifteen jobs will go, and 685 students will be shut out because of budget cuts. Those numbers,...
Source: Las Vegas Review Journal

Schools in Clark county have been holding their breath to see what cuts they are going to have to make, they received some relief but it looks like 800 people will still loose their jobs and some academics will be cut. However there is good news for some 1000 people that will get to keep their jobs at least for another year.

School District to hang on to 1,000 teachers, maintain class sizes

The budget situation for the Clark County School District is looking less dire after about $250 million in additional state funds were allocated to the district by the Legislature last weekend.

Source: Las Vegas Sun

Old 06-18-2011, 07:54 PM

1,631 posts, read 3,954,649 times
I came across this article in the Las Vegas Review Journal regarding some predictions for Las Vegas.
Las Vegas destined to be next Rhyolite? - Business - ReviewJournal.com*

Old 06-18-2011, 10:52 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,767,365 times
This thread is supposed to be about the L.V. economy so I'll throw this out there...

I have a friend who drives a taxi. Prior to 2010 he made a good living (he get's 50% of the metered fare plus tips). Nowadays he is struggling. He tells me that the free spenders are gone and the people with big $$$ are tighter than ever! He can't change occupations because he's too old (64) and he can't leave Vegas because he is too underwater on his mortgage to sell. I think that there may be a lot of people in the same predicament.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:38 AM

105 posts, read 574,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
This thread is supposed to be about the L.V. economy so I'll throw this out there...
I just looked to make sure, and all I asked was is the economy that bad. I didn't need the tirades on how hateful teachers are, or criticism of my typo. But if the economy is bad, all the more reason to go there, to help out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas