Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 11:08 AM

64 posts, read 180,843 times

Advertisements

Another Aliante guy. I live just south of the Community Park! We love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 05:31 PM

241 posts, read 492,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
I have a house in Aliante (not Sun City) as well and I pay SIDS only. $400 bi-annually with $7k outstanding on a 5 year old home. Once my house is paid off I am paying off the SIDS. You get penalized 3% (once) for early repayment, but that is better than getting charged 5% every year in interest.
Considering the real inflation rate is somewhere near 10%, not paying off your SID/LID means the real balance is going down 5% a year. I wouldn't pay it off even if there was no penalty.

On Topic: I own a single family home in Aliante and its a wonderful place. I'm renting the house out, but I could see myself living out there some time in the future.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:06 PM

1,825 posts, read 5,319,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas1337 View Post
Considering the real inflation rate is somewhere near 10%, not paying off your SID/LID means the real balance is going down 5% a year. I wouldn't pay it off even if there was no penalty.

On Topic: I own a single family home in Aliante and its a wonderful place. I'm renting the house out, but I could see myself living out there some time in the future.
Sure, if you buy into the shadowstats alternate CPI calculation. Also I take it you are investing heavily in foreign currency with your paychecks? The dollar depreciating takes all investments within the country along for the ride. Paying off a 5% interest rate loan means that portion of your assets is now depreciating 5% slower than before you paid it off (again, unless you are making foreign investments).

Old 04-21-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Sure, if you buy into the shadowstats alternate CPI calculation. Also I take it you are investing heavily in foreign currency with your paychecks? The dollar depreciating takes all investments within the country along for the ride. Paying off a 5% interest rate loan means that portion of your assets is now depreciating 5% slower than before you paid it off (again, unless you are making foreign investments).
Except for my real estate in LV, all my wealth is in foreign stocks and precious metals. I'm not a huge fan of holding any paper currencies.

Dollar-denominated (fixed rate) debt is a good thing at the moment. For example, if you take on a 30 year mortgage at 5-6% today, the stamp on the envelop containing the last payment will be more valuable than the check inside.

I'm not an end-of-the-world conspiracy guy. I'm just someone whose experienced hyper-inflation before -- in Turkey. The lights will still turn on, people will get up in the morning, go to work etc. The only difference will be an extra '0' on our bills

Just to reiterate -- Don't pay off your SIDs/LIDs early. Especially if there's a penalty involved. It doesn't make any sense from any perspective.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Just to reiterate -- Don't pay off your SIDs/LIDs early. Especially if there's a penalty involved. It doesn't make any sense from any perspective.
If you have no foreign holdings and you don't believe the inflation rate is 10% then paying off SIDS/LIDS makes perfect sense.

You are in the right town to gamble by leveraging yourself in mortgages. Hopefully we experience this hyper inflation before you have to pay too much back.

Last edited by Danknee; 04-22-2011 at 12:48 AM..

Old 04-22-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
If you have no foreign holdings and you don't believe the inflation rate is 10% then paying off SIDS/LIDS makes perfect sense.

You are in the right town to gamble by leveraging yourself in mortgages. Hopefully we experience this hyper inflation before you have to pay too much back.
The SIDS/LIDS rate is 5%, not 10% so it makes sense not to pay it if inflation is at 5% or higher. There's also something called opportunity cost. Paying it off early means less money to use towards alternatives such as investments.

Now let's throw in the 3% penalty for paying it off early.

With all these factors considered, it makes no sense to pay 'em off early.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:56 AM

Quote:
The SIDS/LIDS rate is 5%, not 10% so it makes sense not to pay it if inflation is at 5% or higher. There's also something called opportunity cost. Paying it off early means less money to use towards alternatives such as investments.

Now let's throw in the 3% penalty for paying it off early.

With all these factors considered, it makes no sense to pay 'em off early.
It is an annual percentage rate. Taking into account the 3% penalty you save 2% the first year and 5% every year after. You would need an investment that guaranteed more than a 5% return to make it worth not paying off. With small amounts like $7k on its own this isn't likely.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:18 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,039,624 times
to avoid a major penalty (which i assume is a percentage) of the amount due at time of the last payment.. just pay most off on the 2nd last payment, so your last payment is small..

Old 04-24-2011, 01:53 AM

787 posts, read 1,778,707 times
Quote:
It is an annual percentage rate. Taking into account the 3% penalty you save 2% the first year and 5% every year after. You would need an investment that guaranteed more than a 5% return to make it worth not paying off. With small amounts like $7k on its own this isn't likely.

Well, with small internet brokerages you can easily put $7k into a fairly diversified portfolio with negligible fees. By your analysis, though, you need to make 5% on such money to be ahead of the pay-off-the-SIDS/LIDS scenario. That's probably not that hard. Either the economy picks up and you make your annualized 5% over the next couple years on an S&P index fund, or it doesn't, probably due to commodity price spikes and associated weird islands of inflation, which, I'd contend, probably exceed 5% (we're including food and energy in this analysis); thus making it better to hold your low fixed-rate debt than pay it off anyway.

It's really the "stagflation" scenario in which paying off low fixed-rate debt early makes sense. That's certainly a very possible outcome for our economy in the medium term, but I think it's still outweighed by the other likely outcomes (genuine growth, non-trivial inflation, etc).

Old 04-24-2011, 08:01 AM

411 posts, read 917,085 times
Las Vegas mentality of throwing away zero risk 5% gain to gamble on more gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas