Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:50 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,039,624 times

Advertisements

I believe that there is a lot more new construction. Go down elkhorn north of decatur. William Lyons is building the fields and I believe harmony is also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 09:12 AM

238 posts, read 549,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
I believe that there is a lot more new construction. Go down elkhorn north of decatur. William Lyons is building the fields and I believe harmony is also.
I as referring to new construction in Sun City Aliante. There's been a lot of new construction near my house. It's nice to see houses on those once empty lots.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:34 AM

88 posts, read 223,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
In order to buy a home and live there, one person has to be 55 or older. They do not make exceptions.
Sun City Aliante - Home Page
I didn't know there are age restrictions in home buying. I thought that would be illegal. Shouldn't I be able to buy property anywhere regardless of my age? If they can restrict based on age, then what's to stop them on restricting on other factors such as family size, education, gender, skin color, and sexual orientation?

I say, if you can afford it, you have the right to buy it. Despite my age of 26, I prefer living in a quiet neighborhood with old people. Being raised in a crowded city, there is not need for me to want anymore hustle and bustle.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:40 AM

15 posts, read 38,706 times
There is a specific federal law, I believe it is called something like the Housing For Older Persons Act, that allows over 55 communities.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:11 AM

Do many of the good communities have age restrictions in Aliante?

Old 04-12-2011, 11:29 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times
First off you can buy any where you want. There is no restriction on ownership nor can there be.

There is however a requirement that at least one member of the household be over 55. If not they can and sometimes will throw you out. There is also a requirement that all living there be 19 or older. They will in general enforce this one totally. Kid can visit for up to 90 days or so and then has to leave.

One can and sometimes people do use an older relatively who is willing to nominally live there to qualify. You don't have to be on the title...though that is the easiest way. Give great uncle 1% and get a quit claim dead back if you ever need to sell it. Or lease them a room.

The Board can and often does waive the rule generally for the spouse of a deceased owner. There are some as young as thirties in some units.

The actual requirement is that the units have 80% minimum occupied by at least one person over 55.

It is a specific let out in federal housing law. If lost it can never be practically regained.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:32 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,320,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsite View Post
I didn't know there are age restrictions in home buying. I thought that would be illegal. Shouldn't I be able to buy property anywhere regardless of my age? If they can restrict based on age, then what's to stop them on restricting on other factors such as family size, education, gender, skin color, and sexual orientation?

I say, if you can afford it, you have the right to buy it. Despite my age of 26, I prefer living in a quiet neighborhood with old people. Being raised in a crowded city, there is not need for me to want anymore hustle and bustle.
The Sun City neighborhoods are for 55 and over. All over the country. Once upon a time, in a land far far away, (California)I used to be able to rent apts where no children were allowed. Then one day, a stupid idiotic woman was refused an apt because she had kids. She sued the complex, the state,etc. They changed the rules: Kids were now allowed and life was never the same again or as quiet.

I know you are just 26, and you want a quiet place to live,etc. I know most of my life, since I was very young, I also wanted to live in a super quiet place. Always turned down, and someday I will finally be able to live in a 55+ community,and I do not want that messed up for me, nor do the other residents. So, no, that isn't discrimination to you personally. Just wait your turn. I want to be able to live in a quiet place when I am older, and I do not want someone coming along and filing a lawsuit to overturn it just because they also want some peace and quiet.

There are some neighborhoods around the valley that are much quieter than others. Ask Olecapt to find them for you.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
The Sun City neighborhoods are for 55 and over. All over the country. Once upon a time, in a land far far away, (California)I used to be able to rent apts where no children were allowed. Then one day, a stupid idiotic woman was refused an apt because she had kids. She sued the complex, the state,etc. They changed the rules: Kids were now allowed and life was never the same again or as quiet.

I know you are just 26, and you want a quiet place to live,etc. I know most of my life, since I was very young, I also wanted to live in a super quiet place. Always turned down, and someday I will finally be able to live in a 55+ community,and I do not want that messed up for me, nor do the other residents. So, no, that isn't discrimination to you personally. Just wait your turn. I want to be able to live in a quiet place when I am older, and I do not want someone coming along and filing a lawsuit to overturn it just because they also want some peace and quiet.

There are some neighborhoods around the valley that are much quieter than others. Ask Olecapt to find them for you.
I understand your situation. But it's the principle of it all that bothers me. Discriminating based on age leads to a slippery slope. If you allow one type of discrimination, then it opens the door for other types (eg. race, color, wieght, etc...).

This is America and it's the 21st century. We may prefer living with a certain group of people, but we shouldn't allow laws that go against what many Americans have worked hard and died for. The law is entirely based on stereotypes and assumptions. What if the young person has no family and kids? Or if they do have kids, what if those kids are very enjoyable and helpful to the neighbors and community?

Old 04-13-2011, 11:37 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times
Quote:
I understand your situation. But it's the principle of it all that bothers me. Discriminating based on age leads to a slippery slope. If you allow one type of discrimination, then it opens the door for other types (eg. race, color, wieght, etc...).

This is America and it's the 21st century. We may prefer living with a certain group of people, but we shouldn't allow laws that go against what many Americans have worked hard and died for. The law is entirely based on stereotypes and assumptions. What if the young person has no family and kids? Or if they do have kids, what if those kids are very enjoyable and helpful to the neighbors and community?
Actually the laws in place ban discrimination on virtually any ground.

There is however a couple of narrow exceptions for the elderly. You are welcome to try and get them removed...but note that seniors are a powerful lobby and like their little exceptions.

And it is not based on stereotypes and assumptions. Children are a pain in the a$$ sometimes in virtually any neighborhood. The Sun Cities have an ambiance that would be impossible with integrated children. Even with the ban the management of children in Sun Cities is a significant issue. Watch the swimming pools and you swiftly see why. The older are somewhat fractious anyway...throw in splashing children and watch...

You are free to argue that it is wrong...but it is absolutely true. Children do have a downside...

Old 04-13-2011, 11:39 AM

1,825 posts, read 5,318,852 times
Quote:

It is a retirement community and it makes perfect sense. By your logic, 20 somethings should be allowed to enroll in kindergarten on a whim and 12 year olds should be allowed to drive cars because 16 year olds can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas