Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:39 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,036,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I agree that giving them money makes them come back. Beyond that though, your callous and judgmental attitude quite easily would qualify you as a "scumbag" in the eyes of many. Perhaps the only difference here is that you possess more money. In the long run of things, not much difference. You may want to consider why someone else handing out their own money makes you so angry. Sure, there is a homeless problem. The problem is for them, not you.
great post unforgiven...i repped ya

Old 03-28-2011, 11:01 PM

990 posts, read 1,657,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philmason View Post
You are an idiot.

Your kind donations are encouraging people to beg, not find a job, etc. Donate to real charities, not guys on corners and parking lots holding paper cups.

This whole thing wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for people like you.
I see your point. People that give money to beggars keep the beggars coming back making it unpleasant outside of stores.

It can be frightening to the elderly and others who don't like to be accosted/ victimized.

Giving to real charities is the correct place for donations.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:43 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,956,066 times
I'm on the side of Philmason on this one. In fact, I could have written that rant myself. It infuriates me when I see gullible idiots give change (sometimes dollars!) to homeless people on the street. Don't these bleeding heart, self-centered "heroes" realize that they are making the bum even MORE homeless by feeding money into the economy of poverty? Life is about incentives and giving money to bums screws up everything that will make that person get off the street.

One has to make at least a half dozen BAD decisions to get into such a dire situation to begin with... many involving DRUGS. Giving your hard-earned money to them will often be used to buy more drugs. That's not a sweeping judgement, that's simply a fact which countless studies prove over and over. Look it up. If you feel guilty enough to give a dollar, be a REAL hero and volunteer your time and energy at a job-training facility or drug treatment program. Giving a dollar is the wimpy, easy way out and makes everything, including crime in this city... worse.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:33 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,975,573 times
One thing about the US at least in major cities is if a person is hungry they can find a meal. There's plenty of shelters and churches who feed people. Being broke is a situation but being poor is a mindset.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:55 PM

88 posts, read 223,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
I'm on the side of Philmason on this one. In fact, I could have written that rant myself. It infuriates me when I see gullible idiots give change (sometimes dollars!) to homeless people on the street. Don't these bleeding heart, self-centered "heroes" realize that they are making the bum even MORE homeless by feeding money into the economy of poverty? Life is about incentives and giving money to bums screws up everything that will make that person get off the street.

One has to make at least a half dozen BAD decisions to get into such a dire situation to begin with... many involving DRUGS. Giving your hard-earned money to them will often be used to buy more drugs. That's not a sweeping judgement, that's simply a fact which countless studies prove over and over. Look it up. If you feel guilty enough to give a dollar, be a REAL hero and volunteer your time and energy at a job-training facility or drug treatment program. Giving a dollar is the wimpy, easy way out and makes everything, including crime in this city... worse.
I totally agree with this theory, but then again... even if theories are true, it differs from reality. Theoretically, if I eat right and exercise, I will be much healthier and fit. But in reality, it's not easy and Americans are becoming obese. Is it possible to implement an economy and cultural system where the masses stop encouraging homelessness? Even if you're right, how will the average suckers figure this out? Or is just inevitable in our current state of affairs.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:03 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,956,066 times
Samsite,

The theory WOULD become "real life"! Like I said in my last post, life is about incentives. Think of a world where everybody agreed via social contract, morality, manners, whatever you want to call it and all agreed to NEVER give a penny to a street beggar because it HURTS the homeless.

Think about what that would do: it eliminates the money being spent on drugs/alcohol and FORCES homeless people to survive by getting food, clothes and medical care at the centers which are already providing them. It gets the criminal element out of the "homeless economy" and gives homeless people the incentive (i.e. survival) to seek out the proper channels to get the necessities they need. If no one gave, no one would beg. The streets would be cleaned up and the homeless who are truly suffering from mental illness and chemical addictions would be getting the help they need, otherwise they would starve to death. Why is this theory so hard for people to get behind? Why do idiots give their money away to homeless? It's INFURIATING!

Old 03-30-2011, 12:55 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,258,456 times
Quote:
Samsite,

The theory WOULD become "real life"! Like I said in my last post, life is about incentives. Think of a world where everybody agreed via social contract, morality, manners, whatever you want to call it and all agreed to NEVER give a penny to a street beggar because it HURTS the homeless.

Think about what that would do: it eliminates the money being spent on drugs/alcohol and FORCES homeless people to survive by getting food, clothes and medical care at the centers which are already providing them. It gets the criminal element out of the "homeless economy" and gives homeless people the incentive (i.e. survival) to seek out the proper channels to get the necessities they need. If no one gave, no one would beg. The streets would be cleaned up and the homeless who are truly suffering from mental illness and chemical addictions would be getting the help they need, otherwise they would starve to death. Why is this theory so hard for people to get behind? Why do idiots give their money away to homeless? It's INFURIATING!
I lived in South Korea for about 8 years...and Koreans absolutely refuse to ever give money to homeless - ever.

And guess what, you have almost no beggars whatsoever. It happens occassionally, but just incredibly rare. There are plenty of poor people though, plenty struggling, there are homeless around the stations. But no one will ever come up and put their hands in your faces demanding anything.

But, I will note, there is one area of Seoul, it is called Itaewon, and this is where the American military base is at, and you will see two regular homeless guys harrassing americans and foreigners for money. They won't even bother with the 99.99999% of the Korean population, just hit up the soldiers coming off the base, and no one else. I also regularly seeing soldiers giving to them, and hence I've seen those two homeless guys just stick around for Itaewon for nearly the entire 8 years I was living in Seoul.

So, yeah, seeing that the 'dont give to beggars begging' is something that actually works really well in Korea, despite plenty of people who would probably like free money from people if they could get it, I think your post has tremendous validity.

I dont personally have the nerve to ask anyone for money. But if I were a bit rougher dirtier homeless-ee looking, I could see where it would just become your routine habit, as it really does put money in the pocket fast.

In the U.S. I had one friend, a bit of a hippy type, he use to consistently panhandle out of a course of habit...just to get some beer money. It was just his habit, although he had an apartment, occassional jobs, everything. He just liked the idea he could get away with it with people. Ask and you shall receive type thing, and he seemed to thrive and get a real big kick out of it. He talked about how he use to go to grateful dead concerts all over the u.s., and just simply get on the bus, panhandle at the bus station, go to the concert, hit up all the touristic areas, than get on the bus to get to the next show.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:28 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,575,625 times
Quote:
Samsite,

Getting the homeless the help they need puts more stress on an already broken and financially bankrupt system. We can't even help all the people who aren't homeless as it is. The answer certainly isn't perpetuating a habit of people risking getting hit by cars to grab a dollar but the answer also isn't just turning our backs on people looking for a shred of compassion to feel human. Take a trip away from busy intersections and you will see an entirely different culture of homeless who aren't hassling people or looking to steal your 50cents just to infuriate you. Much of their mental illness is perpetuated by how others interact with them. If you want to break the cycle, extend some compassion and let someone know they are worth trying to clean up their lives.

Slashing education and mental health funding is a surefire way to ensure a consistent future of a growing homeless population. However, that is exactly what we are looking at today.

I think we often forget that most of us are begging in one way or another when we head out to a job. Especially a job we're not too fond of. The difference here is that we are providing a service in exchange for the money. Or at least our employer thinks we are. I think a lot of what infuriates people is that someone you perceive as a scumbag or crazy is actually smart enough to get something for nothing.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:47 PM

88 posts, read 223,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I lived in South Korea for about 8 years...and Koreans absolutely refuse to ever give money to homeless - ever.

And guess what, you have almost no beggars whatsoever. It happens occassionally, but just incredibly rare. There are plenty of poor people though, plenty struggling, there are homeless around the stations. But no one will ever come up and put their hands in your faces demanding anything.

But, I will note, there is one area of Seoul, it is called Itaewon, and this is where the American military base is at, and you will see two regular homeless guys harrassing americans and foreigners for money. They won't even bother with the 99.99999% of the Korean population, just hit up the soldiers coming off the base, and no one else. I also regularly seeing soldiers giving to them, and hence I've seen those two homeless guys just stick around for Itaewon for nearly the entire 8 years I was living in Seoul.

So, yeah, seeing that the 'dont give to beggars begging' is something that actually works really well in Korea, despite plenty of people who would probably like free money from people if they could get it, I think your post has tremendous validity.

I dont personally have the nerve to ask anyone for money. But if I were a bit rougher dirtier homeless-ee looking, I could see where it would just become your routine habit, as it really does put money in the pocket fast.

In the U.S. I had one friend, a bit of a hippy type, he use to consistently panhandle out of a course of habit...just to get some beer money. It was just his habit, although he had an apartment, occassional jobs, everything. He just liked the idea he could get away with it with people. Ask and you shall receive type thing, and he seemed to thrive and get a real big kick out of it. He talked about how he use to go to grateful dead concerts all over the u.s., and just simply get on the bus, panhandle at the bus station, go to the concert, hit up all the touristic areas, than get on the bus to get to the next show.
I've been to Korea before and I speak the language and You are absolutely right. There are zero beggars except for Itaewon and places near U.S. military bases. Once in a while I see the blind guy or the legless man on the train that is playing music and collecting money. But that is like 2 out of 20 million people in Seoul metro area.

Because of the culture, many people try to work even if it's hard labor that is paying less than what a beggar in the U.S. makes. Although people are less likley to give money to beggars, they are more than willing to give money to prostitues. Hence the large amount of illegal massage parlors, bars, and kareoke bars.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:01 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,602,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philmason View Post
You are an idiot.

Your kind donations are encouraging people to beg, not find a job, etc. Donate to real charities, not guys on corners and parking lots holding paper cups.

This whole thing wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for people like you.
Whatever...crawl back to your cave with your grinch like heart. Besides I "do" make donations to charities. And I give food to people, generally not money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas