Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 11:04 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,312,582 times

Advertisements

Every time we go to the east side of town, we get approached in parking lots, people asking for money. It's like a car comes into the parking lot, us, and people start walking towards us like the walking dead, only a little faster, all asking for money.
Several of these people I see each time we go to that area of town.

Also, the Trader Joes parking lot at O'bannon/Decatur, always someone trolling for money. A guy driving, his wife with no teeth at all, and 3 scraggly dirty kids in the backseat. Since I've seen them there 3 times now, I think they do this for a living. They get a little aggressive sometimes. I guess they figure since we can buy food there, we just have extra for them. I don't think so.

I think the panhandling/homeless will only increase as more and more people become homeless when they can't find work. Many do it for a living and probably pull in a really good yearly income, why would they want a real job?

Old 03-24-2011, 04:02 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,729,338 times
Every time I come out of Albertsons or Savon in my area. My bum radar goes off and I can see them coming out of hiding like roaches and I am their prime panhandling victim. Yesterday while at the Arby’s for an early lunch. A white male approached me to buy his lunch while drinking the serving cups of some condiment. When I told him to f@ck off. He threatened to light me up if I did not buy the combo meal he had requested. METRO later took him away for free lunch at County Detention Center.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:06 AM

13,813 posts, read 28,527,711 times
These stories seem shocking to me...the frequnecy of it happening there.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:31 AM

369 posts, read 773,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas2005 View Post
How can I get involved with that? I would like to start volunteering in the community too.

Its time for those of us that are "well off" to step it up a bit. That piece inspired me to get up off my ass and do something for others.
Blog: My Goodness: Trying to Volunteer | The Responsibility Project by Liberty Mutual

Las Vegas Volunteer - Google Search

Volunteer Center-Southern

*|*CASA Las Vegas

Volunteers of America

Volunteer Center of Southern Nevada (http://www.volunteercentersn.org/HomePage/index.php/home.html - broken link)

Civil Air Patrol - United States Air Force Auxiliary

There's just a few ideas.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:35 AM

91 posts, read 175,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_c View Post
thanks for the links!

Old 03-24-2011, 11:12 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,641,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Every time we go to the east side of town, we get approached in parking lots, people asking for money. It's like a car comes into the parking lot, us, and people start walking towards us like the walking dead, only a little faster, all asking for money.
Several of these people I see each time we go to that area of town.

Also, the Trader Joes parking lot at O'bannon/Decatur, always someone trolling for money. A guy driving, his wife with no teeth at all, and 3 scraggly dirty kids in the backseat. Since I've seen them there 3 times now, I think they do this for a living. They get a little aggressive sometimes. I guess they figure since we can buy food there, we just have extra for them. I don't think so.

I think the panhandling/homeless will only increase as more and more people become homeless when they can't find work. Many do it for a living and probably pull in a really good yearly income, why would they want a real job?
I think there is also a fair amount of people who come to Vegas with literally no clue of one or both of the following:

-Exactly how hard it is to find a job, particularly when one possessess no real skills.
-Exactly how hard life can be if you're the type to succumb to one of a variety of vices.

I think some of these people may run through a meagar/non existant savings quite quickly and begging money and preying off bleeding hearts comes second hand quite rapidly.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:31 AM

236 posts, read 628,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
Every time I come out of Albertsons or Savon in my area. My bum radar goes off and I can see them coming out of hiding like roaches and I am their prime panhandling victim. Yesterday while at the Arby’s for an early lunch. A white male approached me to buy his lunch while drinking the serving cups of some condiment. When I told him to f@ck off. He threatened to light me up if I did not buy the combo meal he had requested. METRO later took him away for free lunch at County Detention Center.
Damn. That was you majave.

Sorry 'bout that. All I wanted was the Bacon Cheddar combo

Old 03-24-2011, 12:52 PM

88 posts, read 223,281 times
I think bums in SF and Las Vegas can recognize out of towners, and that is the people they target most. Although SF is infested with homeless on market street and the Tenderloin, they seldom approach me because I just grew up in the city and I guess they can sense it. However, since I'm new to Vegas,the bumbs can reconize that I'm not from around here and target me. I usually get asked for change about once every 2-3 weeks.

I've also noticed bumbs who aren't dressed that bad, but are beggin for money, telling me that they just need a few more bucks to fill their gas or pay for a hotel.

And there is this guy on Lamb and Nellis who limps around, but walks normal after his pan handling shift is over.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:44 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,574,351 times
The scammers are the visible homeless. There are droves of truly homeless people rotting in unseen areas trying to do the best they can. There's a guy around here that spends all day going from dumpster to dumpster pulling out old cans of dirty garbage. Not everyone can just up and decide to stop being homeless. Not even McDonalds is going to hire someone with no address that smells horrible. Not everyone is mentally ill either. Although I suspect similar to prison, it's quite easy to develop a mental illness when you're literally thrown into the s**t. Not for nothing but I'd be buying booze too if I was homeless.

Most people are correct in saying that if you want to help, stop giving cash to people making begging their career. Nobody in their right mind is going to give up anywhere from $30-100+ a day in easy money for a crap job that takes away their freedom and pays less. If you want to help, support shelters, mental health funding and education. Volunteer in any number of places or at the very least offer food/shelter and not money.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:31 PM

91 posts, read 175,199 times
Reminds me of the day I was in my car, having lunch...

some young kid, in a bike, knocks on my door and wants to know if I have some money. This kid was cocky about it too. I couldn't bel. it.

Well, I almost got out of my car and punched him in the mouth. Lucky for him, I was having a good day, and politely told him to get the **** away from my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas