Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 09:59 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,600,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty miwa View Post
I live in Miami now but I'm going to move to Las Vegas to live with my Boyfriend. I visited him sometimes, summer and winter. I really can't take the dryness there. I don't mind humidity, but dry... Especially, when I went there in winter... it was a hell. I got a cold when I got arrived there. Cold and dry... My skin, in my nose, in my mouth, and my throat got so dry and horrible. How can I live there feel enough moisture in the air, so I don't become mummy.. Please help!!!
I moved from Orlando earlier this year. Carry chapstick with you at all times. Your lips will get dry and chapped even in the summertime

The heat is MUCH more tolerable though. A dry 95 is much more bearable than the humid 95 in Orlando and Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 11:00 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,157,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
Perhaps you have been here just long enough.
Very true.....the only time I noticed it was when I moved back here from serving a sentence in Gnu Jersey...I was dryer n a popcorn phart for about a week.....then back to normal....when I WENT to Gnu Jersey from here, 8 years before, I felt like a sponge and that didnt change for 8 years.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:35 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,866,319 times
Your body will be shocked by the dryness at first. I think it is common to catch cold or get bad sinus congestion when you aren't used to the dryness. I have gotten used to the dry air and don't get those symptoms as often when I visit, but I've also learned how to stay better hydrated. Here are some tips:

- As others have said, drink lots of water throughout the day. If you don't, you'll get various symptoms of dehydration.

- Get a water softener. It will help your skin stay softer when you shower.

- Use hand lotion on your hands after you wash them.

- Use a light lotion with sunscreen on your face (and lip balm if you need it).

- If your nose is getting irritated or bloody, use a saline rinse regularly for a few days to hydrate it (see Neti Pot or Neil-med Sinu-rinse at your local pharmacy).

Doing those things will help you acclimate better to the dryness and will just become a part of your routine after a while. If you ask me, it's easier to deal with the dryness than finding ways to combat the muggy heat and mosquitos elsewhere.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:07 PM

699 posts, read 2,222,448 times
keep in mind that chapstick is petroleum based, and acts differently from beeswax based lip balm.
the same is true for body/face lotions.

petroleum based products do NOT penetrate the skin cell wall. they act as a barrier to the skin. petroleum molecules are too large to be absorbed into the skin.

cold-pressed oils & beeswax, for body and lips, are moisturizers whose molecules will permeate the skin and actually provide moisturizing effects.

we use Alba Botanicals Body Lotion - unscented and available in Walgreens out here for $8.
we use Burts Bees lip balm, about $3.

There's plenty of options, depending on what you want to spend.

the bottom line is that combatting the dryness out here is an everyday battle.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:20 PM

687 posts, read 4,407,998 times
Humidifiers help, if you use a whole house model and not a small tabletop model.
I posted a couple coments on another thread about static electricity and now that I have a humidifier tied into our central air, the shocks are gone and so is the dry stuffy nose.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:25 PM

15 posts, read 23,262 times
Thank you very much for all!!! I'm so appreciate your comments about my post!! I guess... I have to deal with. I will try and If wouldn't work then I'll thik about it! Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Old 11-30-2010, 02:50 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,534,210 times
Some wear full blown space suits....but it does get cumbersome at times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas