Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 04:13 PM

670 posts, read 1,104,310 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are seriously considering putting in an offer on a house in Painted Desert. Does anyone here lives in the Painted Desert community? I am interested in hearing your opinion of the HOA.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 06:56 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,341,162 times
I don't but one of the guys I play golf with regularly does so if you have a specific question I can ask him.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:02 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,347,270 times
We almost bought there. Gave them the earnest money then got the CC&Rs. Couldn't live with the parking rules or the dog rules, so got our money back. But it was nice house in a nice neighborhood. I've heard good things about it. It is surrounded by nice communities too, and there is plenty of shopping, restaurants, etc., nearby.

Last edited by observer53; 05-17-2013 at 05:35 AM.. Reason: fixed the thread title

Old 03-28-2011, 09:14 PM

Thank you very much Golfinnova I appreciate your offer.

I should be a bit more specific in my question. We found the area to be very nice. Is this the result of an overbearing HOA or, simply a common pride in the neighborhood? I am curious what the general consensus is of the HOA. The wife and I have no problem whatsoever with HOA's (we currently live under one now) but, we've all heard stories of overbearing HOA's who go out of their way to find infractions in the neighborhood. I wonder if this is the feel in Painted Desert?

A few specific questions:

Is the HOA in decent shape financially? I know we will see the financials when we make an offer but, I am curious.

I know parking on the street is prohibited. What if a visitor is staying? Is it difficult to obtain a temporary pass to allow visitors to park on the street?

I have it on good authority that there are no restrictions on parking in one's driveway in Painted Desert. While I have no doubt that the information passed on to me to be correct it would be nice to confirm this with someone who lives there. On our two visits to view the house in the community I did not notice one car parked in a driveway.

Any opinions, good or bad, about the HOA or the area in general would be much appreciated.

Many thanks for any help,

Old 03-28-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post

We almost bought there. Gave them the earnest money then got the CC&Rs. Couldn't live with the parking rules or the dog rules, so got our money back. But it was nice house in a nice neighborhood. I've heard good things about it. It is surrounded by nice communities too, and there is plenty of shopping, restaurants, etc., nearby.
Hello Buzz. I actually read your comments above in a post you posted prior when I searched this forum.

The biggest concern I have is over parking restrictions a well. Was the lack of any on street parking what did it in for you? Was there anything else in the CC&R's you recall that jumped out at you? Driveway restrictions perhaps?

Feel free to DM me if you prefer.

Thanks Buzz,

Last edited by observer53; 05-17-2013 at 05:36 AM..

Old 03-29-2011, 01:51 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,347,270 times
It's been a while so I don't remember specifics, but I know they are, or were, very strict about on street parking. I park in the garage, but if I had overnight guests or, several guests, I felt we would be hassled from what I was reading in the rules. Not sure if you could park in your driveway, but we had a van that wouldn't fit in a garage, and I seem to recall that might have been a problem too. Also, at the time we had three small Lhasa Apsos, and I think you can only have two there. Then the open fence looking over the fairway would have been a problem as my dogs would probably have barked at every golfer that passed by. I wasn't sure it would keep them in either, but we were told we could plant bushes against the fence. Just seemed too restrictive, and we weren't about to abandon one of our fur babies to live there. I like the small community we are in now. Not too restrictive here, yet the HOA has just enough clout to protect our investment from dumb things neighbors might do. Too bad they couldn't have protected our investment from crooked bankers.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 8,682 times
Default reply to painted desert question

The community is extremely strict with who they let it even if they are a registered guest. God forbid I have a dogwalker come at ten at night when I am away and their car has a logo on it. (After 6pm cars with logos are not allowed unless it is an emergency vehicle.) What if FedEx or UPS came at 6:10? The HOA people would have a hissy fit and tell you that it is your problem and to not make it their problem. Literally those were the treasurers words to me today. Our fees are paid upfront for the entire year, and in this economy I have seen many communities struggle with foreclosures and condo/home fees not being paid, so you would think that Painted Desert would be willing to work with the people that are helping support them. This is a cute and clean neighborhood and 99 percent of the security guards are awesome; the receptionist at the front desk of the community center is so sweet. It would be a perfect place to live if they treated the people who lived here nicely and were willing to work with them on a case by case basis instead of just saying "no" and being kind of mean about it rather then trying to work with you. I hope that this association is dissolved and taken over by nicer people.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:12 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,710,863 times
I service pools in Painted Desert and the number one complaint I hear is the lack of parking and the rules. They are very strict when it comes to guests and service people.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:14 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,797,741 times
There is not a Painted Desert. There are many. The "Painted Desert" is the master plan and controls the gates. Most of the regulations...other than the gates...are of the local association. The guard gates are moderate among those places with them. Not nearly as challenging as some of the tough ones.

The local associations vary from permissive to quite tough. In general the condos and smaller homes will be rather limiting. The larger home communities generally don't have the parking problems and don't make a deal of it. Note though that the landscaping can get to be an issue in there.

Make an offer and get both sets of docs and read them. Then decide.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:58 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,989,895 times
I would be HAPPY with a "no cars on the street" rule. My mother in law's HOA has this, and the neighborhood looks considerably nicer than my neighborhood, which does not. People tend to accumulate cars, and they'll use every square inch of parking space they can get their tires on. Seriously, I have neighbors with three in the garage, three in the driveway, and two more on the street. Who needs eight cars, anyway? And it's not like these are classics or anything. I think if people want to be the low-rent version of Jay Leno, they should get something with a detached six-car garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas