Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 04:28 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,075,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
So far we still have the old meters. I hope they forget and skip us.
The utility companies dont forget anyone. Obama is the one who ordered the smart meters installed & what obama wants obama gets. Im sure they will get to you sometime this year. If you're concerned just call the utility co, give them your name & address & see what they say. Last billing cycle (31 days) i used 47 kwh. So far with the smart meter i have used 5 kwh for 1 day. I expect my electric bill to be the highest its been in years & to get higher once i turn up the temp on my fridge & use my cooler & fans. I HATE the new digital meters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 03:38 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,660,689 times
What MY plan is, is using the google smart reader Google PowerMeter - Save Energy. Save Money. Make a Difference.
to monitor my power usage, with the old meter, and it will be a "honesty" tracker for the new meter
if all of a sudden I use 181KW of power on the old meter, and 214KW on the new meter, but My power monitor says I am still using 181KW
They have some DEFINITE explaining to do! they can't blame my new digital power monitor on "old gears"

Jonathan

Old 02-13-2011, 08:45 AM

687 posts, read 1,950,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
Well, I finally got through to NVE - Twice. First time they said there was nothing they could do about it. Undeterred, I called back and they transferred me to a different department. That person reviewed the usage since we bought the house in September and agreed that something was awry. They are going to send out an investigator and call me back when they find out what's up.
Well it's been almost two weeks and I haven't heard so much as a peep from NVE. They are probably receiving many complaints about the smart meters. Hopefully, I'll get to the bottom of this soon. In the mean time, at least my NVE shares have risen enough to cover several months of inflated bills.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:25 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,075,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
What MY plan is, is using the google smart reader Google PowerMeter - Save Energy. Save Money. Make a Difference.
to monitor my power usage, with the old meter, and it will be a "honesty" tracker for the new meter
if all of a sudden I use 181KW of power on the old meter, and 214KW on the new meter, but My power monitor says I am still using 181KW
They have some DEFINITE explaining to do! they can't blame my new digital power monitor on "old gears"

Jonathan
Can you prove your finding ? I have read alot of posts about the smart meter & so far im not impressed. Im up to 11 kwh for 2 1/2 days. I used to avg that for 7 days. I know my bill will be a min 4xs higher.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:51 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,660,689 times
I have JUST installed the Google power meter and program, I dont have enough empirical data yet to prove anything. it is MY HOPE that the GPM will be a fact checker and keep the Nevada Power people honest.

Jonathan

Old 02-14-2011, 09:10 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,087,220 times
Which actual hardware device did you buy since it looks like there is a variety of them available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
I have JUST installed the Google power meter and program, I dont have enough empirical data yet to prove anything. it is MY HOPE that the GPM will be a fact checker and keep the Nevada Power people honest.

Jonathan

Old 02-14-2011, 10:00 AM

1,825 posts, read 5,323,910 times
I ordered a Google Power Meter device due to this thread.

I got the TED 5000-G, I don't need a display as I will be using my phone. There is an android app for TED for .99 cents, mediocre reviews but I'm hopeful it will get an update and will make due until then.

I haven't received any notice about getting a Smart Meter installed yet. I'm anxious to get the TED unit installed ASAP and get some data to compare with when I do finally get the dreaded "upgrade".

Old 02-14-2011, 10:47 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,196,224 times
The "smart" meter is nothing more then a method by which the Power Barons can raise rate and circumvent the PUC

Old 02-14-2011, 11:42 AM

3 posts, read 6,464 times
They day I had a smart meter installed on the side of my house changed my life. I would get up at 3 a.m. every day. It was like my body was telling me I had enough sleep and it was time to start the day.
I wasn't the only one in the neighborhood that had the same problem. I had found three others that were waking up at the same time. After doing alot of research I found that there are alot of people with the same symptoms,ears ringing, heart rate increases, problem sleeping. I found that the RF information signal actually disrupts the cell building process. Therefor leading to all kinds of health problems. A google search of the title "the dark side of smart meters" is a good place to start.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:09 PM

1,825 posts, read 5,323,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofthesmartmeter View Post
They day I had a smart meter installed on the side of my house changed my life. I would get up at 3 a.m. every day. It was like my body was telling me I had enough sleep and it was time to start the day.
I wasn't the only one in the neighborhood that had the same problem. I had found three others that were waking up at the same time. After doing alot of research I found that there are alot of people with the same symptoms,ears ringing, heart rate increases, problem sleeping. I found that the RF information signal actually disrupts the cell building process. Therefor leading to all kinds of health problems. A google search of the title "the dark side of smart meters" is a good place to start.
Eh, so you search out forums talking about smart meters, register a new account with a name showing your concern for smart meters and post about it? Obsessed much?

On a scale of 0 to 100 of how concerning RF signals are to me, this registers a ZERO (not concerned). My only concern about smart meters is their accuracy and how Nevada Power will rape me financially with it.

You would hate me as a neighbor, I use two cell phones that transmit 24/7. I use 3g and 4g plus I transmit B, G and N wireless signals from 3 separate routers at all times. Two of these routers are wireless bridge repeaters which could be used solely as wireless bridges, but I have them repeat the wireless signal just to give me 5 bars of wireless coverage to every corner of my property (LOL). I use 3 WIFI thermostats, WIFI security cameras inside and out, WIFI alarm monitoring, wireless alarm keypads, wireless motion detectors in every room of my house (supplementing a wired system), and I have a cellular backup to my alarm system in addition to the WIFI/internet transmissions. I am considering adding some ZWave automated light switches to the mix, but haven't yet.

With all that above mentioned stuff running I am still able to sleep like a rock, I rarely have headaches or increased heart rate or any other self detectable health issues.

If you have substantiated (published) evidence supporting health issues associated with consumer grade RF signals in residential areas it might help your position to post those. I watched your dark side youtube video and it seemed like the ranting of a retired engineer who has sworn off radio technology more than anything. There wasn't any great source material quoted and as this isn't a concern of mine I'm not going to look further.

In the mean time I will keep a look out for neighbors wearing tin foil hats and perhaps ask them if my RF trespassing into their homes is stealing their sleep and health.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas