Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 11:49 PM

393 posts, read 505,743 times
What Condos are safe in the 89113 zip area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 08:35 AM

56 posts, read 119,145 times
It may be true that I am paying more for being in an adult community but to me it is worth it. I did not expect twenty new friends to be included with my new home. I am sorry that your neighbors are so unfriendly. In the neighborhood that I live in we wave to each other when we drive past each other. We say hello when we walk past each other. For the short amount of time that I have lived here, I do not expect them to be any more friendly then that.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:05 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,333,344 times
xyz789, did you come in here from out of town? I did and I am accustomed to filling my life with friends. I am curious if you enjoy being alone most of the time and going places by yourself?

Old 01-15-2011, 09:29 AM

4,051 posts, read 2,923,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
xyz789, did you come in here from out of town? I did and I am accustomed to filling my life with friends. I am curious if you enjoy being alone most of the time and going places by yourself?
I also am a single woman living in a 55+ community in LV and have had just the opposite experience. After 8 months here after moving from the midwest, I knew enough people to have three new single friends join me for Christmas dinner and then arranged to meet another group of women for bowling with our visiting grandkids immediately after Christmas. It is true that it takes some time for a "newbie" to be accepted in these communities, but after a cautious beginning, the people in the two clubs I've joined have become friends. I definitely had to put myself out there to meet people and show an interest in their lives though. I have two single friends who like to eat out or go to shows and another one who loves to play cards, so in addition to my club activities, I never lack company. I'm sorry your experience has been so negative JJ, but I do want other singles weighing their retirement options to know that there are good 55+ communities here in the valley.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:22 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,333,344 times
If I'm not mistaken Kiwi, you're in Anthem. I have quite a few friends in my groups from Anthem. None of them have found friends there and have found the same experiences as me. It was not until they got out of the area and joined social clubs that they found the friendships and social life they were seeking. You are right. You so have to extend yourself. I don't know what makes experiences different from one to the other but if this subject had not been discussed many times before with my Henderson friends, I'd be considering heading east. Also, there seems to be a great deal of HOA problems and dissentions there, at least it appears that way from the "for your information" emails I am always getting for that HOA plus the area is heavily racked by foreclosures. Are you an owner or a renter?

Old 01-15-2011, 04:00 PM

4,051 posts, read 2,923,198 times
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken Kiwi, you're in Anthem. I have quite a few friends in my groups from Anthem. None of them have found friends there and have found the same experiences as me. It was not until they got out of the area and joined social clubs that they found the friendships and social life they were seeking. You are right. You so have to extend yourself. I don't know what makes experiences different from one to the other but if this subject had not been discussed many times before with my Henderson friends, I'd be considering heading east. Also, there seems to be a great deal of HOA problems and dissentions there, at least it appears that way from the "for your information" emails I am always getting for that HOA plus the area is heavily racked by foreclosures. Are you an owner or a renter?
Yes, I'm in SC Anthem and own my home after renting here for 7 months. No more than the usual HOA problems and probably no more than the usual (for LV) foreclosures.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:48 PM

56 posts, read 119,145 times
Quote:
JJ it would seem that I have upset you, I apologize. To answer your questions, yes I moved here from the east coast. Having spent over thirty years in the military and having had to move my family every three years to a new duty station, I have had some practice with making new friends. I have found that if you give it a little time you can make new friends fairly easy. As for your second question, I can only smile. I can not count how many times I have thought to myself "when can I have five minutes to myself". If I ever get the chance to go someplace by myself, I will let you know whether or not I enjoyed it. Good luck adjusting to your new home.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:28 AM

848 posts, read 1,730,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannaranch View Post
Greetings,

What can you tell me about the Vistana Condos and the area they are located in? Safr?
Spring Valley, nice area, near the 215 Beltway, nice entrance to the condo complex, near shopping and near the hospital but the layout of the complex and the unit is not so well thought. Last time I checked it, a few years ago they have litigation problems as well.

Walk around the complex, see the units there and you will find out what I am talking about. Too many hidden areas in the narrow hallways, it's like a labyrinth and if you walk at night to your unit, there is a potential problem waiting to happen. I felt uneasy just walking to view the units a few years ago and this was during daytime, not a good vibe. The condo complex looks nice from the outside but once I got to walk around the area, it gave me second thoughts right away. Goodluck!!

Old 01-19-2011, 11:03 AM

140 posts, read 279,254 times
I just turned 50 and my closest friend in Vegas is 85. She's also one of the liveliest and most fun people I know anywhere. Sharp wit and great interest in the world and what's going on. Complains less about her physical maladies than friends in their 50s and 60s. I hope I can be like her if I make it to my eighties! I would never set a cutoff on friend possibilities based on age. You miss too much!

Old 01-19-2011, 03:28 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,596,774 times
...plus you know the old adage about surrounding yourself with ugly girls? It works with older women, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas