Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 03:44 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,809,321 times

Advertisements

I will have a monthly income of about $2000.00 will this be enough to make it. I plan on renting for at least 6 months and be looking to purchase a home during this time. I do not plan on being a strip junkie or lounge lizard. I am single so this is a one person income. I have two more years before my SS kicks in so would like to work some part time. Anyone else in my boat or have been there done that???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 06:20 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,513,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
I do not plan on being a strip junkie or lounge lizard.
Very few plan to be...it just happens.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:44 AM

83 posts, read 179,538 times
Default Could be

If you live within your means you could do it for sure. There are tons of deals in Las Vegas. If you budget your money I think it could work for sure.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:00 AM

687 posts, read 1,946,402 times
I think $2000 a month would be a tight budget anywhere. Since Nevada has no state income tax, a lot of the user fees are higher. Since you are at a lower income level, you will not helped by the lack of a state income tax, but you will be hurt from the higher fees. Some may disagree, but I'd crunch the numbers carefully before making the leap. Figure in rent, utilities, car insurance, etc. Good luck.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:54 AM

351 posts, read 837,492 times
Could you explain what you mean by higher user fees? Thanks.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:56 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,052,656 times
It can be done but you will have to be frugal. If you are a single male and can live almost anywhere cheap it's a little easier. If you have to be very security conscious, a lot of the lower end rentals won't be for you.

You will have to shop the dollar stores and buy everything on sale.

Beware of utilities. Electric is VERY expensive here and in the summer, you can't do without it. Auto insurance is expensive, even if your driving record is spotless. Car registration is very high unless you have an old vehicle.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:38 PM

12 posts, read 20,817 times
Quote:
I will have a monthly income of about $2000.00 will this be enough to make it. I plan on renting for at least 6 months and be looking to purchase a home during this time. I do not plan on being a strip junkie or lounge lizard. I am single so this is a one person income. I have two more years before my SS kicks in so would like to work some part time. Anyone else in my boat or have been there done that???

Why Vegas? Especially if you don't want to the strip and all. Its an OK city, but the people here are not very nice.

there are so many better cities. no beach here either.

as for the income, you are good.

but, Charleston, SC is the best spot for retirement imo or Wilmington, NC.

good luck.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:24 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,809,321 times
Yes SC is nice but the humid weather is too much. I will go to the strip but not as a regular. There are beaches at Lake Mead and etc but more of a pool person. SC or NC would be my second choice. Thanks

Old 08-16-2010, 06:42 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,911,114 times
Default $2000 month

Quote:
$2000 seems pretty lean, especially with a house payment. Inflation of 2-3% will erode that number further over time. If you have cable TV, cell phone etc the money will go pretty quickly. Have you considered a room mate? Maybe buy a house by the university?
sk

Old 08-16-2010, 08:47 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,779,480 times
Quote:
$2000?? In Vegas??? Maybe under a bridge! Seriously it can be done but you will have a very small place to live and more than a few "Ramon Noodle" lunches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas