Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 09:04 PM

699 posts, read 1,014,394 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will retire within two years. We are considering moving from Europe to either Las Vegas or Portland, Or. Anyone out there lived in both of these cities? We've never been to Portland....we are bit concerned about the long gray winters. We love city life and are attracted to the natural beauty of Portland. We are attracted to Las Vegas because of the percentage of sunny days but are not excited about the extreme heat in the summer....we've never lived in the desert. Also attracted to Las Vegas because of the lower cost of real estate right now.....can anyone comment on this point in particular, that is, the cost of living in Portland vs. Las Vegas. We do love the idea of having access to the entertainment in the Las Vegas strip also. We don't have children and want to live somewhere that we can fit in and become part of a vibrant community with lots to do. We enjoy both outdoor activities like hiking,(not golfing), also enjoy attending classes (at maybe nearby college), and doing volunteer work. Clean air and availability of organic fruits and vegetables are priorities. Any info, thoughts are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 10:34 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
I have never lived in either city, but have visited both, often (Portland for business, LV for pleasure). I must say they are dramatically different. They both have pluses and minuses. It depends what you can deal with -- especially as far as weather is concerned. Weather seems to me like it shouldn't be the primary reason one chooses a place to live, but it is awfully important. It has an influence on your outlook every day, especially if it's not weather you're used to. I think it is odd that you would consider retiring to a place you've never been. It does rain a lot in Portland (not storms, misty drizzle); it is gray much of the time. But the overall temperatures are moderate, you have access to snowy mountains and the ocean, the public gardens are beautiful, it has one of America's great bookstores. It is somewhat hippy-fied; that is a turnoff for some people and a reason to live there for others. It's also more expensive for most things than Las Vegas.

Portland has more outdoor farmer's markets than LV, but LV has every kind of shopping imaginable, so if you would want one of those Japanese square watermelons, I'd bet you could get it faster in Vegas. In addition to fine dining, Portland has wineries, but nothing compares to the LV restaurant scene.

In Las Vegas you have plenty of access to hiking and some of the most gorgeous and dramatic terrain of the American west, in addition to a vibrant city that presents a less laid-back facade than Portland. The temperatures can be extreme, but there's as much sunshine as there is gray in the NW. If you're buying a house, you'll get a lot more for your money in LV. Access to an airport that can take you anywhere is also a plus for LV from my perspective.

It comes down to some pretty basic factors: How sunshine-dependent are you? How water-dependent are you? How much do you require outside stimuli? Do you have allergies? Are vistas important to you and if so, what do you consider to be beautiful? If you were sitting quietly at home reading a book, would you want it to be on a shady front porch next to a rose bush or beside a swimming pool with a cold drink in your other hand? Do you prefer Craftsman architecture or California contemporary? If you could only do one thing all weekend, would you choose a high-quality arts festival or a concert by a name entertainer? Are you "next big thing" or "tried and true"?

You need to spend some quality time in both cities before you decide.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:46 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Portland is a very nice place. I have a daughter who lives there in the southern suburbs. She likes it fine though her hubby particularly would like to head back to So CA. and she would not mind. Note that she is well suited to that climate...she was born in Rochester NY and had 7 years there total...so she was well familiar with the cold gray. Rochester is much harsher than Portland though not quite as gray.

The complaint in Portland is always the grey and the rain. The snow happens but is probably enjoyed if anything.

Portland is at least 15% more expensive than Las Vegas...may better a little more at the moment as the housing in Vegas has taken a much worse beating.

The heat is a just concern about Las Vegas. About one couple in five or six who come here to retire leave within a couple of years and it is virtually always over the heat. Note however that the rest find it tolerable and someplace around a third like it. My wife and I generally enjoy the heat. We in fact find the winters here a little cold and tend to go away for a couple of weeks in January or Ferbruary to someplace nice and warm.

I suggest you pick one and try it. Don't commit. If it ain't for you off to the other.

Note that you have to get your inoculations before going to portland so that the tree moss can't grow on your northern side...

Old 04-09-2010, 02:45 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
My husband and I will retire within two years. We are considering moving from Europe to either Las Vegas or Portland, Or. Anyone out there lived in both of these cities? We've never been to Portland....we are bit concerned about the long gray winters. We love city life and are attracted to the natural beauty of Portland. We are attracted to Las Vegas because of the percentage of sunny days but are not excited about the extreme heat in the summer....we've never lived in the desert. Also attracted to Las Vegas because of the lower cost of real estate right now.....can anyone comment on this point in particular, that is, the cost of living in Portland vs. Las Vegas. We do love the idea of having access to the entertainment in the Las Vegas strip also. We don't have children and want to live somewhere that we can fit in and become part of a vibrant community with lots to do. We enjoy both outdoor activities like hiking,(not golfing), also enjoy attending classes (at maybe nearby college), and doing volunteer work. Clean air and availability of organic fruits and vegetables are priorities. Any info, thoughts are appreciated.
I lived in Portland Oregon for a year. Portland is that kind of place that people take classes for fun, get involved in community, and hiking is huge there.

I think in Vegas, you could do those things, but it isn't as strong a part of the cultural fabric for those things as it is Portland.

Weather. I don't know where you are from in Europe...but if you are from a place that has long cold winters, then you'll love Portland - as it is SO much more moderate and a lot more things grow there all year round, with a lot more variation in plants than areas of the U.S. midwest and northeast. I grew up in Michigan, and later made the move to Portland Oregon, and I loved the weather in Oregon comparitively.

Most people move to Oregon from California...so you are talking near ideal weather of California to something non-Californians. Hence, I read of many complaints about the weather all the time. So, what I'm saying is, what is your weather like where you are, and that'll make a huge difference if you can take the Oregon weather or not. (For me, in Michigan, we had a solid 5 months of winter...whereas when I went to Portland Oregon, I felt like winter was kinda skipped - it just snowed a couple times, and rain - it was like heaven comparitive to what I was use to). In Michigan we don't see rain all winter until spring, and it was lovely to see that snow finally stop in favor of rain.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:34 AM

1,376 posts, read 3,081,484 times
Portland is more of a "real" city whereas LV is the strip/downtown then stripmalls and houses (personal opinion, not FACT). Everything kind of blends together and you could take it or leave it. Aesthetically speaking I think portland wins.

Activities? Really depends on what you're into. When I lived in Southern Oregon everyone was into fishing, camping, rock climbing, kayacking, mountain biking, hiking, hunting, etc. From the outside, or the number of flannels worn, it did appear more outdoorsy.

You have to visit both then decide. May grey and June gloom in SoCal drove me crazy, I couldnt live in portland.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:54 AM

182 posts, read 246,071 times
There is an orchard in Vegas, Gilcrease Orchard in the NW side of town, around 500 acres.

Aside from hiking, lots of freestyle climbing in the Red Springs area near the entrance to Red Rock Canyon, usually busy during weekends and if you want traditional climbing with gear, you have Red Rock Canyon nearbly, check it out if you are in town. Skiing during the winter season, water sports during the summer and throw in fishing so generally speaking, Vegas is a great place for outdoor activities.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:13 AM

182 posts, read 246,071 times
^^^ I meant to say 50 acres not 500 acres on the size of the Gilcrease Orchard, typo error.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:20 PM

380 posts, read 1,062,268 times
I live in Phoenix. A nice lady, from Portland, just bought the REO two doors down. She is about 60 yo.

I think Portland is way overrated. Captain gives a lot of good info, but I would say a comparable SFH in Portland will cost twice as much as Vegas. The Portland economy is struggling big time, but their RE market was one of the last to weaken. Look at homes under 100,000 in PDX; several will be houseboats. You can get a super nice condo in LV for under 100K. Taxes would be less than half of PDX for RE.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:26 PM

22 posts, read 46,675 times
I agree with the previous poster. Portland is WAY overrated. Its a great city if you are a wannabe hippy and into smoking dope all day long, or are gay or lesbian, as both of these things are in your face everywhere and very often.

I lived in Portland for almost 20 years, and four now in Las Vegas. I *much* prefer Las Vegas for several reasons. One, RE is a MUCH better deal here right now. RE has always been overpriced in Portland, OR, compared to NV (even before the bubble burst).

My first year in Portland, only TWO days were sunny all day long. True the summers here in LV are hot - but I much prefer a few weeks of really hot weather to many long weeks of grey cloudy skies each year. I can enjoy the AC while it's hot. There are MANY nice beautiful sunny days here in LV each year. It rains hells bells for days in Portland and the NW. I lived in downtown Portland when it rained for 40 days and 40 nights - and watched as they sandbagged the river and prayed it didnt' overflow. It did. The first floor condos along the river were flooded. The sewage backed up in the downtown streets. As far as I know, they NEVER resolved that problem.

The state income taxes are horrid in Oregon. There are no state income taxes in NV. The property taxes were so high in Portland that Californians who moved up there complained it was worse than the cities they moved from. The police were idiots and abusive to citizens in Portland. I am speaking from direct experience of having lived downtown and in the suburbs. And don't get me started on the idiot politics in Portland or Oregon.

I dont think LV is the place to raise a family, but for retirement, it might just be right for many. Just be sure to buy in a 'green area' (lower crime). Here is a map: Crime in Las Vegas

The map is approximate, as all are. BUT it tells a story for those who listen... Are you listening?

Seek a zip code that is yellow or green. I would not move close in to the strip, or close in on the east side if you paid me. There are a few really nice areas. They are not close to the strip, or even close in.

You can drive south to Hoover Dam, and Arizona, and its many beautiful areas. You have a 3.5 hr drive to southern California from LV. There is the Grand Canyon not too far away. There are few things I dont like about LV.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:42 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Portland is an absolutely beautiful city, unlike the ugly desert out here in Vegas. I have even considered moving to Portland in the past. However, it is always raining. As everyone knows, I absolutely HATE rain, so that was the deal breaker for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas