Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 03:24 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times

Advertisements

You wouldn't believe the chat network that exists at a place like that! Old people get nosier and pettier as they age. Right, olecapt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 07:28 PM

213 posts, read 404,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiker1o View Post
Someone complaining about older people in an age restricted community like Sun City is quite laughable considering Sun City communities are well known retirement havens and primarily marketed for the older generation.
Right on!

All these young 55 year olds moving into a retirement community are destined (if they don't die sooner) to become those dreaded 80 year olds. So now they become less desirable as neighbors??

Do the newer "youngsters" in the neighborhood expect them to move out? Or maybe we should hope they all die off. Because god forbid there should be too many "old" people around, especially in a community designed for senior citizens.

If you don't like the prospect of living around old people, stay out of the retirement communities. But if you survive that long, remember you will end up living with an old person, namely yourself.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:45 PM

848 posts, read 1,724,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjg66 View Post
Right on!

All these young 55 year olds moving into a retirement community are destined (if they don't die sooner) to become those dreaded 80 year olds. So now they become less desirable as neighbors??

Do the newer "youngsters" in the neighborhood expect them to move out? Or maybe we should hope they all die off. Because god forbid there should be too many "old" people around, especially in a community designed for senior citizens.

If you don't like the prospect of living around old people, stay out of the retirement communities. But if you survive that long, remember you will end up living with an old person, namely yourself.
Hehehe, it would be wise for those who do not appreciate to be around older people not to reside in an age restricted 55+ housing developments like Sun City. There are far too many developments in Vegas that are all ages community.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:59 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
80 is my personal goal...old enough to have enjoyed life...without going out with diapers on.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:24 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,896 times
I love your wonderful theories. I doubt those of you with them are not 55 and have never lived in a retirement community ! Would you like to spend extra money to live in a community inhabited with those who could be your parents because that is what it amounts to if you are 55 and most everyone else there is 75-80 ! As JHiker would say, ha ha ha ha.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:22 AM

56 posts, read 118,817 times
I live in an adult community and fall into the "younger demographic" category. The women that lives next to me is old enough to be my mother, SO WHAT!. One of the reason I moved into a adult community is so that I did not have to deal with kids playing in the street, loud music, five cars per household, etc. I love my friendly, respectful neighbors.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:47 PM

Yes but do you realize you paid more for your house and are probably paying somewhat more for HOA dues to be in that 55+ community when all you want out of it is not to have kiddies playing in the street and your peace and quiet? I can think of many places you could have settled for less money that would have been nice HOA controlled communities if the hyped up companionship factor of the 55+ community was not a major factor to you.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:53 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
Yes but do you realize you paid more for your house and are probably paying somewhat more for HOA dues to be in that 55+ community when all you want out of it is not to have kiddies playing in the street and your peace and quiet? I can think of many places you could have settled for less money that would have been nice HOA controlled communities if the hyped up companionship factor of the 55+ community was not a major factor to you.
Actually JJ the HOA fees in Sun City Summerlin are quite low for what you get. Lots of straight up condos with nice faciiitles run past $150.

You do pay about a 10 or 15% premium to buy in Sun City but the HOA is pretty good.

When you run it all together SC Summerlin probably breaks even compared to a nice gated place with similar rec faciliities.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:58 PM

I think what I've been trying to say Jim and what you just said in a businesslike manner is the entire premise of what SC Summerlin should be sold on. I came in here six months ago thinking I would have friends up the gazoo in two weeks. Everyday after the big moving van hogged up my street unloading my furniture, I got cleaned up early in the morning did my hair, full makeup, waiting for the neighbors to come and welcome me. No one ever came. Then I decided to try going to them and frequented the community centers and pool. As I walked into these buildings, I would pass neighbors who would choose to either look up at the sky and study clouds or cast their eyes on the sidewalk to avoid having to say hello. I was told every 3 months a big welcome brunch was held for all the new people so they could meet each other and after calling administration three times to find out the date, I just gave up and realized it was hype. I was told there was over 250 clubs to join, something for every possible hobby and taste, so I paid my dues and joined the social clubs. The club meetings turned out to be table after table of married couples and dinner dances where after sitting for hours watching the couples dance made the potted palms begin to look very attractive to me. Not one person ever came up and said "welcome. where are you from?" I will admit if I was close to 80, all day, everyday I could content myself with endless women's card games; bridge, mah jong, pinnochle, cannasta, you name it. But I'm not close to 80. Since I am an observant person, recently I attended a residents forum just for the purpose of seeing what kind of interaction others in here have with each other. I would say approximately 1200 people attended. If they walked in as couples, they remained as couples. If they walked in as individuals, they remained as individuals. There was barely any commaraderie. No one sat on the seat to the left or me and no one sat on the seat to the right of me and no one said "hello" or anything remotely friendly. If I spoke, I received a grunt back. The marketing for these retirement communities doesn't show that type of thing. It shows seniors having a ball as they sip cocktails on the club patio with the sun setting in the background. That's the premise I bought into and did not get. If you talk about SC Summerlin probably breaks even compared to a nice gated place with similar rec facilities and...."has the lowest foreclosure rate of any other zip code in Las Vegas" that's my one unemotional reason for staying or telling other seniors to consider it.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:47 PM

393 posts, read 503,966 times
Greetings,

What can you tell me about the Vistana Condos and the area they are located in? Safr?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas