Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 08:14 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,222,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I spoke to the XYL about it, but the timing's not good for us. Hopefully another time. That is if you live through it.
That is OK. If we survive and like it we will publish the details widely. I though about doing so up front as the lady is a friend. But I have been burned by that before. So a couple of us heroes will attempt and then report back.

I too am a fan of El Burrito. It is where we ate our first meal on our permanent arrival into Las Vegas.

An amazing place. The service varies between impossible and mildly adequate...but the food remains exceptional. I am addicted to the macaroni soup which I have never had any where else. And which gets better as it gets older as the day wears on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 08:53 PM

990 posts, read 1,655,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
That's only at Easter when we all carry our crosses to the restaurant El Rancho de Chimayó.

Rancho de Chimayo Restaurante and Hacienda

or maybe it was El Santuario de Chimayó ...I forget: Chimayó, New Mexico: Sightseeing, Places to See, and Points of Interest for Visitors
Where the pilgrims scoop out miracle red dirt from the miracle red dirt hole every day and the priests dump more miracle red dirt into the miracle red dirt hole every night?

Old 09-01-2010, 08:57 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,934,181 times
Lindo Michoacan gets my vote.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:26 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,371,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
Where the pilgrims scoop out miracle red dirt from the miracle red dirt hole every day and the priests dump more miracle red dirt into the miracle red dirt hole every night?

Yeah. You can see the pile of miracle dirt covered by a tarp out back. But thousands of "pilgrims" flock there hoping for cures.

The real miracle is in the food at Rancho de Chimayo. It's one of the best restaurants in New Mexico, therefore in the U.S. I heard it's Robert Redford's favorite. But then I also heard that about Rancho Encantado. Santa Fe Luxury Dining, Hotels Santa Fe - Encantado Resort

I prefer Chimayo myself. I just wish we had someplace like that here in Las Vegas. I think ambiance is important in a restaurant and, except for two or three places, Las Vegas just doesn't have any.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:27 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,371,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Lindo Michoacan gets my vote.
Hard to argue with that, although Frank & Fina's is hard to beat too.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:42 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,952,183 times
So, I am wondering how the meet up at the restaurant went. I wish I could have gone, but I had guests and they had kids. It was my last night there until Oct. Sadly, freezing already in MI. Pink would be loving the fall weather here. Me, not so much.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:47 AM

Default Restaurant visit.

Well it went down. Admiral, olecapt and delagabob made it.

It turns out to be kind of a rustic picnic decor take out or eat in joint.

The dips were very good. A clear salsa I have not had before, an excellent and fresh made guacamole and a nice bean dip. Those and very cold Pacificos made a nice start.

The Admiral had a combo plate involving chile relleno, a couple of enchiladas and a taco. She found the taco, kind of done tapa style, remarkable and suggest she may simple have a half dozen of them as a meal.

I tried aquachile - a regional thing similar to a ceviche with shrimp. Basically lime juice loaded with chile used to marinate the shrimp. Tasty but very powerful. I ordered it mild and found it at the limit of my spice tolerance. The New Mexicans might find it heavenly.

DelgadoBob had a hugemongous Burrito...I will let him offer his own opinion.

The place makes a half dozen of the regional specialties that might appeal to those who want the different Mexican.

The place is....

Casa Tlaquepaques
4800 East Bonanza Road
Las Vegas, NV 89110-3456
(702) 892-0023

The owner is Mary Carmen who will take your order. Very nice service.

Bill for the three of us was $49 + tip. We overtipped.

The area is OK...strip mall on Bonanza just east of Nellis. Next to a martial arts place with a string of kiddies running in and out. Hard to worry the neighborhood while surrounded by kids in jujitsu outfits.

It was quite good but not great. I think we will try it a few more times because the Admiral liked it and I want to try all the regional specialties. It would be an excellent neighborhood place for any out toward Nellis or east side.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:06 PM

654 posts, read 1,323,658 times
Filling in the blanks ... I had a Carne Asada burrito which was good, but I wouldn't go as far as saying great. Would recommend it yet would probably try something different next time. Olecapt's aquachile would probably be on the list as I enjoy ceviche & haven't had any in quite some time.

The Guacamole was presumably made in-house & was fantastic, I think the best part of the meal. Bean dip was a nice complement for something different with the chips.

Olecapt, isn't it just WEST of Nellis? I remembered passing Lamb on the way east as the last major street before the restaurant. After dinner, I stopped at the Mexican grocery store (Cardenas) at Bonanza & Lamb to pick up a bunch of chicken for the ferrets. (Our furkids - I buy chicken about 20 pounds at a time & make what's basically a chicken mush for them, a nightly meal they love.)

Olecapt & the Admiral were extremely nice, articulate people. I don't know what you guys are talking about when they're not around

Old 09-05-2010, 05:30 PM

delgadobb is correct...it is west of Nellis about a block on Bonanza...North side of street.

Sorry about that.

Hey Rocco if you have a chance can you change the original from east to west.

Thanks..

Old 09-05-2010, 10:31 PM

579 posts, read 1,210,819 times
My favorites in order of preference are:

(1) Ricardo's (best salsa and fajitas)
(2) Dona Marias (salsa and tamales)
(3) Lindo Michocan (best guacamole)
(4) Macayos
(5) Mi Casa (best dacquaris)
(6) Gardunos
(7) Chevy's (which is more Tex/Mex, but love the fajita salad)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas