Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:42 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,401,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
I lived in Albuquerque for years and love New Mexican food. There are no lemons or limes in New Mexican Food and rarely tomatillos. They also use Hot Anaheim chiles. Yumm. New Mexico also has a state question. It is Red or Green? meaning what kind of chile do you want.
They even told a witness on "In Plain Sight" one night that the biggest decision they'd have to make while in Albuquerque would be, "red or green?" The question is usually followed by, "Which one is hottest today?"

I'm seeing Hatch green chilis in a lot of grocery stores right now. We get a bushel every two years and freeze them. Albertsons in Henderson roasts them for you.

There are chefs in Santa Fe that do things with New Mexican cuisine that I'd never think of, and it usually involves either "red or green". Do we still have a Coyote Café in the MGM? I never tried it. People said it wasn't like the original in Santa Fe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
El Burrito is one of the oldest Mesican restaurants in Las Vegas....has moved several times and is still great
Since Hortensia's place went away, that leaves either El Sombrero or El Burrito as the oldest if I'm not mistaken. Then they would be followed by Macayo or Doña Maria's I think. They are all well over 40 or 50 years old.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:48 PM

990 posts, read 1,658,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
They even told a witness on "In Plain Sight" one night that the biggest decision they'd have to make while in Albuquerque would be, "red or green?" The question is usually followed by, "Which one is hottest today?"

I'm seeing Hatch green chilis in a lot of grocery stores right now. We get a bushel every two years and freeze them. Albertsons in Henderson roasts them for you.

There are chefs in Santa Fe that do things with New Mexican cuisine that I'd never think of, and it usually involves either "red or green". Do we still have a Coyote Café in the MGM? I never tried it. People said it wasn't like the original in Santa Fe.
I have even been in restaurants in Albuquerque that have a "weather" report written on a chalk board as you enter with words such as this.

Weather Report:

Red: medium
Green: hot

My favorite place in Santa Fe was The Oar House on the plaza even though they have those fake pretentious blue tortilla chips.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:53 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,161,398 times
The thing that I enjoy most about the NM food that I have had is that FIRST you taste the food....THEN you feel your head start to sweat...THEN you feel the burn....

Old 09-01-2010, 12:56 PM

990 posts, read 1,658,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
The thing that I enjoy most about the NM food that I have had is that FIRST you taste the food....THEN you feel your head start to sweat...THEN you feel the burn....
Then you have to keep eating to keep the terminal burn away.

I always say, "I'm from New Mexico where pain is considered a flavor."

Old 09-01-2010, 01:00 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,161,398 times
I have never let the burn scare me away....you keep eating til it sears the tastebuds

Old 09-01-2010, 01:12 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times
New Mexican cooking...the self flagellation of cuisines...

Old 09-01-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
New Mexican cooking...the self flagellation of cuisines...
That's only at Easter when we all carry our crosses to the restaurant El Rancho de Chimayó.

Rancho de Chimayo Restaurante and Hacienda

or maybe it was El Santuario de Chimayó ...I forget: Chimayó, New Mexico: Sightseeing, Places to See, and Points of Interest for Visitors

Old 09-01-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
I have even been in restaurants in Albuquerque that have a "weather" report written on a chalk board as you enter with words such as this.

Weather Report: Sounds like Sadies.

Red: medium
Green: hot

My favorite place in Santa Fe was The Oar House on the plaza even though they have those fake pretentious blue tortilla chips.
Why are they pretentious? They use blue corn.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
OK we are going to do the real thing. As mentioned above we are hitting the Mexican for Mexican Restaurant. A week from Thursday (Sept 2) at 6 PM. Vicinity of Bonanza and Nellis. Anyone else who wants in drop me a DM.

We may publish the name and address depending on how it works out.
I spoke to the XYL about it, but the timing's not good for us. Hopefully another time. That is if you live through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas