Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 05:10 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,353,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Cable user here for quite a few years .... Just moved and got Direct TV.. NOW if these few months are any indication of Direct TV, I will NEVER go back to cable for watching TV.
If I had never seen DirecTV, I might have been happy with Cox. Back before DTV added local channels to their lineup here, we decided to try out Cox, since they were offering us a great price because we already used them for broadband internet service. We immediately hated it. Within less than a week I took the boxes back to Cox. Unlike the cash mongers, DirecTV told us that if we would come back, they would give us the new dish and new boxes needed for the addition of local channels (which actually happened before the equipment arrived). Free installation, free equipment, and the installation guy even gave us $20 each for the old boxes so he could use them for parts.

Contrast that to when Cox installed my internet service, and the technician wouldn't even hook the cable to the computer unless I paid him extra. Any wonder that Cox is bleeding customers? Too high a price for too little service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 11:13 AM

611 posts, read 952,801 times
I'm not seeing (or don't know how to read) limits on GB's per month for Cox Internet. That would be a great option for watching tv but not if there is a limit. My current internet (BC Wireless) in Canada allows only 8 GB per month (and that is one of their better plans) for our $45. Anything above we are charged additionally per usage. If each movie is about 1.5 or 2 GB it would only allow us about 5 or 6 Netflix movies here - therefore no one in our area has signed up for Netflix. Does anybody see on the Internet pricing and plans above about limits.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:53 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,286,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binionrat View Post
I'm not seeing (or don't know how to read) limits on GB's per month for Cox Internet. That would be a great option for watching tv but not if there is a limit. My current internet (BC Wireless) in Canada allows only 8 GB per month (and that is one of their better plans) for our $45. Anything above we are charged additionally per usage. If each movie is about 1.5 or 2 GB it would only allow us about 5 or 6 Netflix movies here - therefore no one in our area has signed up for Netflix. Does anybody see on the Internet pricing and plans above about limits.
All Cox plans have unlimited GB's per month. All you have to do is decide on what speed you want.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:38 PM

611 posts, read 952,801 times
Thanks LV Drunk...and thanks StaggerLee for making me laugh so hard! Your story re Cox was so funny...yet sad at the same time..LOL

Old 04-25-2012, 03:28 PM

207 posts, read 510,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
If I had never seen DirecTV, I might have been happy with Cox. Back before DTV added local channels to their lineup here, we decided to try out Cox, since they were offering us a great price because we already used them for broadband internet service. We immediately hated it. Within less than a week I took the boxes back to Cox. Unlike the cash mongers, DirecTV told us that if we would come back, they would give us the new dish and new boxes needed for the addition of local channels (which actually happened before the equipment arrived). Free installation, free equipment, and the installation guy even gave us $20 each for the old boxes so he could use them for parts.

Contrast that to when Cox installed my internet service, and the technician wouldn't even hook the cable to the computer unless I paid him extra. Any wonder that Cox is bleeding customers? Too high a price for too little service.
Our Cox technician was great and did a bunch of things like running wires, installing splitters, giving us an HDMI cable, etc for no extra charge.

I do agree the DTV is MUCH better for the TV side of things, but do they offer any service without contract times?

Cox has no contract offers available, and of course the bundle of tv, phone, internet all in one.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:37 AM

930 posts, read 1,821,117 times
finally decided to completely covert over to Directv. got their new HR34 media center receiver installed saturday and whole home dvr service. tuner is great with 5 tuners and side by side pip (great for watching two games at once). upgraded to their premier package (all channels) which includes all the premium movie channels which number about 44 in all, but with 34 in HD which just blows cox out of the water.

probably will keep cox for a little while longer until wife is comfortable using new system. will keep cox for internet and might decide to keep their basic "starter" cable service as a backup and it will feed cabletv into the rooms we dont have receivers in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas