Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 05:48 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,250,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidnomad View Post
Cox.

Was just on the phone with them today. Best customer service so far. He discovered I was paying for an upgraded package I didn't order and went out his way to get to the bottom of it. Ended up getting a refund that covers my bill for this month and the next month.

So yeah, I'm biased. Cox for sure. Basic internet has been fast and reliable, too.
They are reliable, but what good are they if I cannot afford it? They are literally pricing themselves out of the market. I wonder how they even have any customers in this economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 06:15 PM

159 posts, read 360,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
They are reliable, but what good are they if I cannot afford it? They are literally pricing themselves out of the market. I wonder how they even have any customers in this economy.
Agreed. I canceled the cable portion of my package but kept the internet service. It's $32.95 a month here in AZ. I didn't know this but internet is not taxable...so far.

I decided to go with Netflix for ten bucks a month. Unlimited stream of movies to my television or my laptop, if so inclined. It's like being a kid in a candy store. I didn't think there were bargains out there like the one Netflix is offering so imagine how good it feels to one up Cox! Sure, I don't get cable television but so what...I get more intelligent viewing of my choice! Documentaries, classics, past Discovery channel and History channel shows, you name it, it's there. And if it's not, add it to your queue and viola! They'll overnight it to you!

I repeat...TEN BUCKS!

How do they have customers? People are addicted to television, that's how. I could never bring myself to say bye bye to cable because of the three or four channels I watched during the evening.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:28 PM

17 posts, read 28,030 times
Well, IMO it really depends on what you want. Direct TV is cheaper monthly with more sports but you have to deal with contract and bad equipment. I currently have COX, $160 for mid-high tier internet, basic phone, 1-HD/DVR receiver(which btw works great) for living room and another free HD box for kid's room. I gotta have HD because that is what I pretty much watch to include the news. The biggest downside, it is very expensive...I did not even pay this much for everything when I was in EUROPE.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobito01 View Post
Well, IMO it really depends on what you want. Direct TV is cheaper monthly with more sports but you have to deal with contract and bad equipment. I currently have COX, $160 for mid-high tier internet, basic phone, 1-HD/DVR receiver(which btw works great) for living room and another free HD box for kid's room. I gotta have HD because that is what I pretty much watch to include the news. The biggest downside, it is very expensive...I did not even pay this much for everything when I was in EUROPE.
I think what we need is a revolution. I won't even pretend to know the ins and outs of the cable monopoly but it I do believe they're able to jack up their rates because there aren't smaller companies giving them a run for their money. Not that I'm aware of anyway.

Then again, maybe it does cost that much to give us high def programming and a multitude of viewing choices. Don't know, don't care, I have weaned myself from the crack that is cable.

As for news, you can watch that on your computer.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I think what we need is a revolution. I won't even pretend to know the ins and outs of the cable monopoly but it I do believe they're able to jack up their rates because there aren't smaller companies giving them a run for their money. Not that I'm aware of anyway.

Then again, maybe it does cost that much to give us high def programming and a multitude of viewing choices. Don't know, don't care, I have weaned myself from the crack that is cable.

You are right, there isn't any other companies that could compete with COX and that is one of the problem. The other problem is also the programming, european shows have more quality, notice that quite a few of the shows here in US came from UK. I would not mind getting another source other than cable but it's got to be HD, how many people here still watch DVD, the quality of blu-ray is fantastic, movies jumped out! But that's just me.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:17 PM

399 posts, read 1,026,462 times
Quote:

Do any Las Vegas TV stations broadcast live news online? I know CNN only has sporadic live news online and it's not even their regular news coverage (like Headline News).

Old 09-04-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobito01 View Post
You are right, there isn't any other companies that could compete with COX and that is one of the problem. The other problem is also the programming, european shows have more quality, notice that quite a few of the shows here in US came from UK. I would not mind getting another source other than cable but it's got to be HD, how many people here still watch DVD, the quality of blu-ray is fantastic, movies jumped out! But that's just me.
So true about Blu-ray. My friend has a top of the line LCD, high end sound surround, I mean the whole shebang. I thought maybe he slipped some acid in my wine, it was freaking unbelievable! I remember Robert Downey, Jr as Sherlock Holmes jumping out at me. I thought maybe he had some sort of 3D setup but no, it was just LCD and Blu-ray.

Ok, now I am getting excited again about getting a house even if in the ghetto. Surround sound! I hope I can hear the ADT alarm over it.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdreloc View Post
Do any Las Vegas TV stations broadcast live news online? I know CNN only has sporadic live news online and it's not even their regular news coverage (like Headline News).
I have no idea. I catch video recaps of the news from all over the world, if the headline piques my interest. I predict that cable companies like Cox will be forced to sell ala carte programming and they'll let Netflix offer it. Hopefully.

But as I said, I have no clue to the inner workings of cable companies and I'm just talking out my you know what.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
So true about Blu-ray. My friend has a top of the line LCD, high end sound surround, I mean the whole shebang. I thought maybe he slipped some acid in my wine, it was freaking unbelievable! I remember Robert Downey, Jr as Sherlock Holmes jumping out at me. I thought maybe he had some sort of 3D setup but no, it was just LCD and Blu-ray.

Ok, now I am getting excited again about getting a house even if in the ghetto. Surround sound! I hope I can hear the ADT alarm over it.
I'm planning on setting up a backyard theater when the temperature gets better, 104 inch self standing projector screen with 1080P projector would be perfect during cooler nights. Not sure how the neighbor would react but I think it will be great as long as the outdoor surround is not as loud.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobito01 View Post
i'm planning on setting up a backyard theater when the temperature gets better, 104 inch self standing projector screen with 1080p projector would be perfect during cooler nights. Not sure how the neighbor would react but i think it will be great as long as the outdoor surround is not as loud.
{{{{in awe}}}
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas