Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 11:52 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,020,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
ME:"The DVR is too small for my needs"
Windows Media Center.

As much as I hate Microsoft, Windows Media Center is da bomb. Not only does it record all the shows. With a couple free add-ons it also automatically strips out all the commercials. Recording shows couldn't be easier.

The NFL is the only thing we watch "live" at our house. Everything else is recorded and processed. If for some reason we want to burn the show or movie to DVD, WMC makes it easy to do that, too.

It also organizes all of our music and pictures.

It's basically the only reason I still use Windows. Otherwise I would have switched to Linux a long time ago. The only negative thing I have to say about WMC is that it's a hassle to go through all of Dish Network's channels and click on the ones we receive. (When setting up the system, it's easier to turn all the channels off, then add back the 100 or so channels that actually interest you. Bye bye, Home Shopping Networks and Telemundo.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 11:54 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,423,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
and how did cancelling al that and still Keeping the internet go????? bet THAT confused them..

There was a time, long, long ago, when we looked to Cox as an example of superlative customer service....no more.
There was also a time when we looked at Directv as an example of superlative customer service, but also, no more. (Posted by a Driectv customer since 1995 but not very happy with them for the past 6 or 7 years. But I am certain they are still better than any cable provider!)

Old 04-10-2012, 12:17 PM

810 posts, read 1,810,741 times
Rant time:

Why won't Cox add an HD feed for Fox Soccer? Every other sports channel has a respective HD feed, except for Fox Soccer! It sucks because they are now letterboxing their standard definition feeds, and it makes games unwatchable at times. ARGH!

Old 04-10-2012, 12:24 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,020,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
Rant time:

Why won't Cox add an HD feed for Fox Soccer? Every other sports channel has a respective HD feed, except for Fox Soccer! It sucks because they are now letterboxing their standard definition feeds, and it makes games unwatchable at times. ARGH!

As soon as I'm made dictator, the first thing I'll do is make cable service a'la carte.

I don't want to pay for Telemundo and those stupid infomercial channels. Just let me select the channels I DO watch and charge me per channel. And if some channels can't survive without our subsidy, boo-freakin'-hoo.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:36 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,353,941 times
I like your thinking, Scoop. Probably 90 percent of the channels in my DirecTV lineup I've never watched. They exist only to inflate the number of channels that cable and satellite providers can say that they offer. After about 10 PM, 75 percent of them are running infomercials anyway.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:35 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,323,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
As soon as I'm made dictator, the first thing I'll do is make cable service a'la carte.

I don't want to pay for Telemundo and those stupid infomercial channels. Just let me select the channels I DO watch and charge me per channel. And if some channels can't survive without our subsidy, boo-freakin'-hoo.
I've been saying this for YEARS. I don't need any stupid sports channels! If they have a 200 channel package, then let ME pick the 200 I would watch and leave the rest out.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:13 AM

901 posts, read 1,902,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I've been saying this for YEARS. I don't need any stupid sports channels! If they have a 200 channel package, then let ME pick the 200 I would watch and leave the rest out.
On the contrary, all I need are the sports channels. I no longer watch any of the news channels -- all they do is get you spun up about things that you have no control over.

I would be perfectly happy if they had a package of all ESPN channels, some FOX sports, NFL Network, and the major broadcast networks for football on weekends. Toss in Discovery and the History Channel for some variety, and the Food Network to keep Mrs. Trash Can happy.

The rest are just a waste of the broadcast spectrum.

Last edited by Trash Can; 04-11-2012 at 09:28 AM..

Old 04-11-2012, 09:23 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,423,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
The people who don't want/need sports channels should absolutely dump cable or satellite and go with internet + over the air TV only. Netflix + Hulu+ + Amazon Prime = about $22/month.

It's the people that want live sports that are forced into cable or satellite.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
The people who don't want/need sports channels should absolutely dump cable or satellite and go with internet + over the air TV only. Netflix + Hulu+ + Amazon Prime = about $22/month.

It's the people that want live sports that are forced into cable or satellite.
Hmmm. I disagree. It's much easier for me to DVR what I want to watch or watch in real time than try to hunt it down on the internet.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
On the contrary, all I need are the sports channels. I no longer watch any of the news channels -- all they do is get you spun up about things that you have no control over.

I would be perfectly happy if they had a package of all ESPN channels, some FOX sports, NFL Network, and the major broadcast networks for football on weekends. Toss in Discovery and the History Channel for some variety, and the Food Network to keep Mrs. Trash Can happy.

The rest are just a waste of the broadcast spectrum.
I also quit watching news channels. I watch some local news in the AM but that's it. Sports channels have always gone completely to waste in my house. Growing up dad and brother didn't watch, and when I was married husband didn't watch. I was lucky that way! I didn't even have to hear it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas