Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 07:22 PM

54 posts, read 121,893 times

Advertisements

Found this on craigslist, of all places:

States explicitly on the page: "Cash Buyers Wanted."

***First Time Home Buyers*** Super Deal (http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/reb/1900761964.html - broken link)

From the Realty One Group.Has the realtor's name and number. $105K. 1300sqft. Near 215/Buffalo (SW). Close to Walmart, Sam's Club, Best Buy, etc. We've been in the area twice as my mom has friends that live in Pinnacle, a gated subdivision along Robindale between Rainbow and Torrey Pines. Nice and quiet from what I've gathered.

Good luck. LOL, I can't believe I went as far as craigslist to try and find something for you. :-p

Last edited by maharlika; 08-15-2010 at 07:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 07:31 PM

317 posts, read 1,004,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maharlika View Post
Good luck. LOL, I can't believe I went as far as craigslist to try and find something for you. :-p
@ maharlika

you are really "sweetheart "

Old 08-15-2010, 09:03 PM

159 posts, read 360,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflybird View Post
Well, thanks for all the well meaning remarks. ??? I am from out of town, don't have my car and even if I did, I wouldn't try to navigate around Vegas without knowing the town. Also, HELLO! I have to have an agent to open a lock box to see INSIDE A HOUSE. You all act as if I've been sitting on my rear end since I got here. Every day i've been trying to figure out a plan...I've already told you what the one company I signed with did - withheld how they do business until after getting my name on the dotted line with an exclusive buyer's agreement. i.e. "we only take you to look at outsides of homes"...Prior to that, I had been in touch with an agent online for over six months but when I got here....they didn't come thru. And by that I mean, no research on listings I sent them, no response to emails, nothing.

Now I'm trying to work with a friend who has some investments in town and his associate to get me in, but it still boils down to getting in touch with the listing agent, finding out the actual status of the short sale, and on and on. Other people on this forum have indeed been shown 50 homes, albeit perhaps over 2-3 trips. I was told by the agent who got my name on the dotted line ,"we can show you shorts all day long"....then why not? It's certainly not outside the realm of normalcy to show a client 5 homes in a day, especially if they are vacant. And let me make clear, I'm not asking at this point to see 50 homes. How about 10 of my top picks during the time I'm here?

I'm not gonna get in a heated back and forth with anyone here, nor is that my intent. I am merely sharing what's happening to me....if I rented a car and did in fact drive over to some house, what then? Just sit there and see the exterior? I need an AGENT to open the home and let me in and point out issues with the house, etc.! Isn't that what a realtor does for a living? isn't that their job? And no, I'm not looking for a dream home at 110-120K lmao. I currently live in an older home that most of you probably wouldn't find upscale enough or modern enough. I'd be very happy to buy a newer home here in Vegas in my price range. So, please, have a bit of respect for me, as I always approach things on this forum. Thank you.
I don't know if I agree with that strategy. Not to be critical but I think when you don't live in the town you're buying, it's best to take a proactive approach.

Tomorrow I'm putting an offer on not one, not two, but three houses - all regular sales. Here's what I did - I spent 12 straight hours at home printing out every listing of interest from my realtor's portal. Approximately noon to midnight. I jotted down notes and organized them into piles according to neighborhood and zip code. As soon as I drove into town, I cruised through most of the neighborhoods until exhaustion hit. I ended up eliminating all of Silverado Ranch (boring), half of Green Valley and Henderson (medicore houses for my price range), and decided right then and there I was not interested in living out in bumf*cked Egypt (Summerlin, Spring Valley, etc).

The next day I touched base with the realtor and informed her that I had eliminated half of the listings in the favorites section of the portal. I'm a huge fan of being organized and being efficient - yes, she could have done all of the work but it would have been a waste of time viewing, say, thirty or forty houses I wouldn't have liked anyway because of the neighborhood. I didn't need to go inside to know I did not want to be there, or that I did not want to live next to a certain type of people, or place, or business.

Every day spent solo was a day spent driving. Driving, driving, driving. Getting lost on purpose (with GPS, of course) or figuring out how long it would take to get from Point A to Point B. It was an absolute must I be within miles of the strip and the airport. But what was around me? What was in my future neighborhood? Was there a Starbucks or indie coffee place close by so I could conveniently grab my daily quad espresso shot? Was it a short cab ride to the strip in case I went out, got hammered, and couldn't drive to or back? Gyms? Shops? Highway entrance?

When I finally narrowed it down to three, I continued to drive through the neighborhood as if I lived there. Additionally, I checked crime statistics and asked myself if I could live in an ungated community and in a zip code with a supposed higher crime rate. I decided I could, along with purchasing a Sig, a shotgun, and law enforcement level taser (which I believe I can qualify for). I also asked random people within a half mile radius what they thought of the neighborhood. I figured their opinion mattered more than the fanboys/fangirls of Summerlin and the outskirts.

Anyway, I wanted to share my experience. As I said, I don't mean to be critical. I do believe you have to have a car to live and get around Vegas. I'm not sure why a rental car wasn't an option. I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. My realtor has been a real gem and if you ever want to switch or if you do switch, I'd be more than happy to email her info. There also seems to be some very knowledgeable and motivated realtors that frequent this forum, too.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:24 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,429,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maharlika View Post
Found this on craigslist, of all places:

States explicitly on the page: "Cash Buyers Wanted."

***First Time Home Buyers*** Super Deal (http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/reb/1900761964.html - broken link)

From the Realty One Group.Has the realtor's name and number. $105K. 1300sqft. Near 215/Buffalo (SW). Close to Walmart, Sam's Club, Best Buy, etc. We've been in the area twice as my mom has friends that live in Pinnacle, a gated subdivision along Robindale between Rainbow and Torrey Pines. Nice and quiet from what I've gathered.

I can't believe you would risk dislocating your shoulder in your attempt to pat yourself on the back. I don't recall the OP asking you to do this.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:03 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,252,146 times
There are seven homes in that tract in the indicated price range...six are shorts and one is a Homepath with owner occupant restrictions and no advantage to a cash offer.

The size range in there has sold from around 95 to as much as $120. The $120 was a dollup.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:27 PM

54 posts, read 121,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I can't believe you would risk dislocating your shoulder in your attempt to pat yourself on the back. I don't recall the OP asking you to do this.
That was supposed to be a joke (hence the LOL and the :-p). The OP seems really frustrated - just wanted to lighten things up.

I am oft to forget that people don't imagine how something is being said, even if I throw in emoticons or certain expressions. Like now, so as to console myself I'm imagining that you had said that in jest. What I said wasn't that far off from your sarcasm - just that mine was self-deprecating and yours was directed at another person (me). I must admit that was very clever. It stung at first but it was funny trying to imagine someone dislocating their shoulder while trying to pat their back.

I'm sorry to have been so immature in light of the serious situation. Good evening, ma'am.

(And I'm sorry for this off-topic post.)

Last edited by maharlika; 08-16-2010 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: forgot the :-p

Old 08-16-2010, 08:13 AM

317 posts, read 1,004,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidnomad View Post

My realtor has been a real gem.....
I think it is you- real gem for any Realtor because you really "huge fan of being organized and being efficient" and mostly did all job by yourself

I agree - this is very good driving by yourself to see future neighborhoods but in Las Vegas very many good neighborhoods is gated so even to get access there I will need Realtor, also local realtor can navigate you best way to avoid traffic .

Old 08-31-2010, 08:58 AM

351 posts, read 837,933 times
Hey Butterflybird: We listened to you whine & complain for days, everyone tried to help you, do you have the courtesy to update us on your house search? Thank you!

Old 08-31-2010, 09:34 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,345,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaslocal55 View Post
Hey Butterflybird: We listened to you whine & complain for days, everyone tried to help you, do you have the courtesy to update us on your house search? Thank you!
Vegaslocal55, you've hit on my pet peeve about City-Data. People come here and give you every intense detail about their life problem. They get many courteous and helpful replies ... and they are never heard from again. Judging from my own experience, I would also guess they don't give reps, let alone say thank you to the people who tried to help them.

I get most of my reps from people who never even posted on the thread I was on. But I do that, too. If I read a post that is particularly thoughtful or addresses a question in a positive way, I give them a rep even if the thread has nothing to do with me. Positive reinforcement, no?

But someone will come on here and say, "I need a hotel under $50 on the westside of Route 60 in Monaca, Pennsylvania," -- I not only give them the answer, but provide them with a link to the hotel and I get bupkus. On the other hand, I will go on a TV show thread and write something as stupid as, "I love that show, too!" and I get three reps. Go figure.

I, too, would enjoy conclusions to some of these long-drawn-out soap operas. But I won't hold my breath waiting.

Cheers!

Old 08-31-2010, 11:24 PM

515 posts, read 1,181,603 times
Like most activities on the net, if your own participation isn't gratifying enough for you, then you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas