Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 10:16 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,036,241 times

Advertisements

Being new into the business, i don't understand why someone (a realtor) wouldn't spend a day with a potential client. Not only are you gaining a customer (or referrals later), imo as a realtor i would also think making a new friendship would be a priority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 10:21 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,956,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflybird View Post
I certainly agree, they work for me, not the other way around. I have yet to spend an actual HOUR much less an afternoon with any realtor in LV so it remains to be seen whether I'll stay with this company. During the signing of the contract, I told them of a prior bad experience in my hometown with a realtor who never listened to my requirements and I terminated the contract after about a week of seeing that he wasn't going to work out for me. So, they have been somewhat "warned" that I don't put up with nonsense and I don't have time to waste on agents who are not professional and doing their duty for me.

Think of it this way it's like dating you ask a person out and they say yes and then they never show up for the date. Eventually you get that their not interested in you and you move on. It's the same when enlisting the help of a professional.

If they are too busy to help you now, how will they do when you actually find something, how good of a job do you think they will do looking out for your best interest during the sale. Yes times are different in regards to the real-estate business, that is no excuse for bad customer service.

The only thing that has changed is the some firms teams have gotten too big and sloppy and don't care about customer service. That should tell you something if they are to big to take care of you then you need to move on and find a buyers agent that is interested in you and will take you out to look at properties NOW!!! Good Luck

Old 08-08-2010, 10:25 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,470,688 times
Why can't you at least look at the interiors online?

Old 08-08-2010, 10:54 AM

157 posts, read 277,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why can't you at least look at the interiors online?
read the thread...I have clearly stated I look at properties online...in fact, that's the only way I could look being from out of town. However, that's no substitute for touring a property in person, not by a long shot. All looking online does is weed out the obvious "no" from the "yes" from the "maybe" properties...

Old 08-08-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Being new into the business, i don't understand why someone (a realtor) wouldn't spend a day with a potential client. Not only are you gaining a customer (or referrals later), imo as a realtor i would also think making a new friendship would be a priority.

I think in LV they're more inclined to spend a day with a client who is buying at the upper end of the price scale. I'm rather sure that if I'd been in the market for a 300K deal, my days would be quite filled with touring homes and a steady stream of appointments. At the low end where I'm looking, short sales, hassles of all kinds, realtors aren't interested in spending "a day" with me. That's why I got the "hey, all cookie cutters look alike" remark from this one guy. Like, he was saying, c'mon, you've seen one, you've seen 'em all. Unreal. That's an irresponsible and untrue remark under any circumstances. Making a new friendship ain't the goal...it's making $$$ the fastest way possible in a very strange environment....

Old 08-08-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volfanga View Post
Get a new agent ASAP I bought a condo in Vegas in Feb from out of town
3 trips looked around 50 properties and I assure you that just seeing the outside
is crazy and a realtor telling you that is also. I recommend you rethink the
approach. I can see driving yourself and narrowing the list but please see
the inside before making a huge mistake and losing your escrow. There are
many places that are totally trashed inside and would cost large cash to rehab.
Let me clarify. The agent wasn't suggesting I BUY anything without seeing inside first. It was suggested to make offers from just looking at the outside, then feeling out the sellers or the deals and also getting a jump on other buyers who may be interested, and then backtracking to look at just those that have a chance of making it through. Nevertheless, I think this is a risky and bad strategy no matter what and I wouldn't agree to look at homes in this manner regardless....

Old 08-08-2010, 11:22 AM

Someone was concerned about my signing an exclusive Buyer's agent agreement because it meant I'd pay a commission. No, I don't , in most instances anyway, the seller pays the buyer's agent commission, not me (the buyer). This is the source of a lot of confusion as to who pays a buyer's agent, the buyer or the seller.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:22 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,252,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflybird View Post
I think in LV they're more inclined to spend a day with a client who is buying at the upper end of the price scale. I'm rather sure that if I'd been in the market for a 300K deal, my days would be quite filled with touring homes and a steady stream of appointments. At the low end where I'm looking, short sales, hassles of all kinds, realtors aren't interested in spending "a day" with me. That's why I got the "hey, all cookie cutters look alike" remark from this one guy. Like, he was saying, c'mon, you've seen one, you've seen 'em all. Unreal. That's an irresponsible and untrue remark under any circumstances. Making a new friendship ain't the goal...it's making $$$ the fastest way possible in a very strange environment....
Nah...wish it were but nope. You make your living in this market below $200K unless you are very well established with a very high end clientele. There are a few though most of them are suffering pretty badly as well.

There are some strange behaviors in this market driven a lot by REO/Shorts and the team operations...but there really is no high end action to pick up easy money.

Look some more...not that hard to find competent RE agents...I know a dozen or more.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post
Think of it this way it's like dating you ask a person out and they say yes and then they never show up for the date. Eventually you get that their not interested in you and you move on. It's the same when enlisting the help of a professional.

If they are too busy to help you now, how will they do when you actually find something, how good of a job do you think they will do looking out for your best interest during the sale. Yes times are different in regards to the real-estate business, that is no excuse for bad customer service.

The only thing that has changed is the some firms teams have gotten too big and sloppy and don't care about customer service. That should tell you something if they are to big to take care of you then you need to move on and find a buyers agent that is interested in you and will take you out to look at properties NOW!!! Good Luck
The dating analogy is a good one...my thinking was that in my situation a larger team would be the way to go. True, some have gotten big and sloppy and don't care, but on the other hand, if I was doing business with a two person office (even though the office was part of a larger team if that makes sense), I felt many times there would be no one available to show me anything. I'm kinda thinking it's just a matter of luck and finding the right combination, but unfortunately I am only here for a few weeks and don't have unlimited time/resources to "interview" tons of realtors. If that's the case, I would have had to make a trip out just to do that....

Old 08-08-2010, 11:38 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,077,641 times
I went through this too. I was living in MN and trying to buy here.

It was very frustrating. There isn't enough time or there's too much. By the time I could find a prospect and fly out to see it, there were already multiple offers and the price had skyrocketed or you could get no answer from whatever bank owned the property. The house would just sit.

I went through a couple realtors because they just got tired of working with me. I tried hard not to be too demanding but I see the other side of it too. How much time do you really want to invest for a tiny commission? And what are the odds the bank will actually let go of the home? Is the sale even possible? I did most of my househunting online and I was very lucky because I already knew Vegas well.

Here's one way you can avoid all this. Forget the bargain basement homes and buy a fairly priced home from a real person. It will go through quickly and be done. Yes, I know everyone wants the bargain but they aren't as much of a bargain as you think. There are few bargain homes that don't need significant work. And all of it won't be caught in an inspection either. Once you add in all the repairs and renovations the price is right up there with what you probably would have paid to buy from a person.......only you didn't have 5 months of up front hassle. The shorts and repos have usually gone for a year or two with no maintenance. That's not a good place for a new owner to start.

If you just have to get the bargain, you also have the problems and nailbiting that go along with it. You just have to be persistent and patient. It will happen. It just takes a lot longer than you think, especially if you are buying from out of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas