Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:17 AM

157 posts, read 277,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post
If you have a exclusive buyers agreement and you buy through another agent , the seller will only pay the agent that is on the contract and YOU will have to pay the agent that you signed the exclusive buyers agent yourself. A seller will not pay for 3 agents commissions
Yes, I understand that. And that's as it should be if I suddenly bought from another agent after my agent had worked their butt off showing me homes. I'm still waiting for my agent/team to show me anything so that's grounds for voiding the contract, since I'm ready willing able and have $$ to go see homes but have seen nothing as of yet. I'm giving them another 24 hrs or so and then making other plans. To reiterate, the SELLER in most intances pays the buyer's agent commission in an exclusive buyer's agreement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Nah...wish it were but nope. You make your living in this market below $200K unless you are very well established with a very high end clientele. There are a few though most of them are suffering pretty badly as well.

There are some strange behaviors in this market driven a lot by REO/Shorts and the team operations...but there really is no high end action to pick up easy money.

Look some more...not that hard to find competent RE agents...I know a dozen or more.
I also had thought that too..... that the lower end was the bread and butter of agents in LV, so that's why I am very surprised by the slow action based on now having had contact with three companies, first with a Remax office via email and no aggressive follow-up, no real interest shown. Then I moved on fast and found only minimal improvement. True, I'm out of town buyer but in this market, that's probably where many buyers are coming from who have cash especially. I have to disagree based on what I've seen so far, if competence is defined as basic follow-up, returning emails, calling a prospect to at least instill some confidence and get things going. Also, clients surely are prioritized according to where they are in the pecking order, deals that are in progress or buyers who the agent feels can more quickly be put in a house without much legwork, I tend to think those buyers are priority, and I'm obviously farther down the list. Otherwise, I wouldn't be sitting here typing on a forum, I'd be out with my agent and their team looking at homes.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:51 AM

11,179 posts, read 16,054,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflybird View Post
I'm still waiting for my agent/team to show me anything... I'm giving them another 24 hrs or so and then making other plans.
What has been their explanation to you as to why they haven't made any appointments yet?

Old 08-09-2010, 11:03 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,085,850 times
I'm sorry you are having a rough time of it.

It can be done.

After 5 trips out here I finally got mine. I got it the day it was listed and we gave the offer to their broker in a parking lot at midnight. We only gave them 24 hours to respond They took our offer and then they got 4 higher ones..... We were lucky they were ethical people. Our offer was cash so at least they knew there were no financing problems.

In total I think I made offers on 15 properties. Lost every one of them. And a couple even actually SOLD for less than I offered. Forget logic and sense, it is what it is. The market here flies in the face of logic just like it did in the 'good old days' when the prices just kept going up. I just had to be glad that the market went back into realistic numbers so I could afford to live here. The cost of housing had priced me out of Las Vegas for quite a few years.

It all comes down to being in the right place at the right time. And I've got some great stories to tell too!

Old 08-09-2010, 12:07 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,843,098 times
Maybe I just got lucky. I put in one offer for the list price and got it.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:15 PM

844 posts, read 2,105,412 times
I've put in a few offers at or above asking, all were rejected. I fell in love with each property before making the offer. Sucks!

Now I think I will try the "bid before you see" strategy contingent on personal inspection. No more broken hearts.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:02 PM

317 posts, read 1,004,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflybird View Post
I'm still waiting for my agent/team to show me anything so that's grounds for voiding the contract, ...
so, what news ?

Old 08-09-2010, 07:13 PM

54 posts, read 121,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
No more broken hearts.
Amen to that!

(Your post made me smile.)

Old 08-09-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natali :) View Post
so, what news ?
Here's the latest. I cancelled the Broker's agreement today and the contract has been voided. I told the agent I could not work with their company if it meant making offers on homes I hadn't seen inside of, at least not as someone new to town, not knowing the neighborhoods and having no real feel for what I'm looking at. So, I literally signed and unsigned in the space of about 3 days. But it has all added up to days lost that are now wasted and having to start over. I spent the entire weekend hoping they'd show me something and they never did. They never explained why but I would presume it was because I objected to the "offer before you see inside" strategy and they sort of ditched me because they knew or suspected i wasn't going to go along with this approach.

Maybe the "make an offer before you see inside" would work for some people and if so, go for it. I don't feel comfortable doing it at this early stage. I need and want to see inside homes at my price level to get a feel for what's out there. Yes, there's multiple bidders on most properties and if I lose them, so be it. Maybe I'll adopt the strategy down the line, but it makes me nervous at this point to simply see outsides of homes (or just the online photo galleries) and make bids and then backtrack to look at them with offers on homes that I had never seen inside, etc etc.
That sounds messy or like something that could really create complications.

True, he made clear that I wouldn't be obligated to buy something I hadn't seen inside (DUH! no kidding!), but still.....the whole thing sounds risky and not designed for me in mind at this point.

I suppose now that I've put this strategy out there, everyone will decide after all that it's peachy and I should have stuck with it as the perfect way to nail a house in this competitive market. so, let's make up our mind. Is this a good strategy or bad? Most people who gave me feedback said it was bad, wack, insane and how could a person make an offer on a house they hadn't seen or toured the interior of. So, you decide. I'm so confused at this point, I don't know what to do. I'm moving forward with another company that I've had previous contact with so we'll see how that goes. It would be nice to actually go house hunting and see inside some houses that I want to look at. Maybe I can do that within the next century or so....

Old 08-09-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I'm sorry you are having a rough time of it.

It can be done.

After 5 trips out here I finally got mine. I got it the day it was listed and we gave the offer to their broker in a parking lot at midnight. We only gave them 24 hours to respond They took our offer and then they got 4 higher ones..... We were lucky they were ethical people. Our offer was cash so at least they knew there were no financing problems.

In total I think I made offers on 15 properties. Lost every one of them. And a couple even actually SOLD for less than I offered. Forget logic and sense, it is what it is. The market here flies in the face of logic just like it did in the 'good old days' when the prices just kept going up. I just had to be glad that the market went back into realistic numbers so I could afford to live here. The cost of housing had priced me out of Las Vegas for quite a few years.

It all comes down to being in the right place at the right time. And I've got some great stories to tell too!
I'm glad you got a home after 5 trips out here. Frankly, I can't afford to make 5 trips to put a deal together. One more after this and that's it if this doesn't work. It's not feasible for me at this time to move out here and rent for six months, so making a short term trip out is within my budget and my personal situation. So, it is what it is. From the looks of it, I don't expect to be successful when hearing stories like yours and others who put offers in on 15-20 homes and lost them all. And if I had to make 5 trips out here to do it, factoring the cost of the airfare, lodging, meals, and all the other expenses associated with multiple trips, that would be several thousand dollars (airfare alone for this trip was $500), so that adds up fast and thus the 110K or 120K house ends up a 140K house after multiple trips to acquire it. So, that doesn't factor out for me.

If it happens, great. If not, well, I tried. But I'm not going to beat my head against a wall to make it happen. As you said, this market isn't about logic. But I am frustrated by having made it here and not seeing anything for 5 days straight because the agent(s) involved that I just severed ties with didn't get me out to see at least a few things. It's really nuts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas