Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:11 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,286,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
You think thats confussing, check out the neiborhood behind the Stratosphere or Circus Circus. They are less than 200 feet.

But overall these "bad" neighborhoods are not Compton/Harlem/gangland bad, just Vegas bad. Anything compared to MGM, Wynn, Mandaly Bay etc will be considered sub par.

You would think that a street full of 5 star mega businesses would at least have some 4 star business on the street next to it. Then possibly 3 star afterwards and the gradually decline from there.

But no!

Its a dramatic change once you leave the strip.
I can add that the neighborhood that directly borders MGM Grand to the east is REAL bad, much worse than where I live. I would NOT live in that neighborhood, and as everyone knows I will live just about anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 09:56 PM

46 posts, read 109,997 times
If you go out of the parking garage 2 blocks to the west of the Stratosphere, lock the doors and don't make eye contact. I have done that at 2ish in the am not a good place for tourist traffic with out of state plates. Or am I just a wussy ?

Old 08-08-2010, 10:21 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,602,521 times
Once I was sitting at a red light on Las Vegas Blvd and Sahara and this guy walked up to the driver side window and he looked at me with this crazy look on his face. He then walked all around my car and then back to the sidewalk. Creepy!!! He definitely was not a sane person...

Old 08-08-2010, 10:54 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,176,018 times
I love the ying and yang of the strip. You can go from super luxurious to cracked out in seconds.

I love showing visiters the REAL vegas. A couple of months ago I was playing tour guide with some friends. They damn near went crazy when we literally had to step over two bums sleep(or passed out) on the cennecting crosswalk leaving the Venetian.

They took pictures like that was rare.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:03 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,286,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
Once I was sitting at a red light on Las Vegas Blvd and Sahara and this guy walked up to the driver side window and he looked at me with this crazy look on his face. He then walked all around my car and then back to the sidewalk. Creepy!!! He definitely was not a sane person...
You were lucky. Watch this as it happened right there. I swear I would have run this guy over if he tried this crap with me.

YouTube - ‪BumFights 3 CrackHead Smashes Random Car!‬‎

Old 08-08-2010, 11:09 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,602,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I can add that the neighborhood that directly borders MGM Grand to the east is REAL bad, much worse than where I live. I would NOT live in that neighborhood, and as everyone knows I will live just about anywhere.
I have seen those apartments. I believe they are along Trop and Koval. They look AWFUL

Old 08-08-2010, 11:53 PM

54 posts, read 121,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post

But overall these "bad" neighborhoods are not Compton/Harlem/gangland bad, just Vegas bad. Anything compared to MGM, Wynn, Mandaly Bay etc will be considered sub par.
I resent that!

Seriously though some "mid-scale" condos have slowly been creeping up towards Harlem, especially those on the West Side along Madison Ave. They even have doormen. 2 blocks (approximately 0.2 mi) to the east towards Lexington Ave and you're in the ghetto. At night, it's a scary 2 blocks. We were always told to walk a longer 6 blocks to the west to catch the 1 train instead of going to the 6 train which was only 2 blocks to the east. I should know since we used to go and visit my grandma's sister-in-law in her "posh" Madison Ave condo (right). Well it's posh compared to where we lived in Brooklyn.

Harlem isn't as bad as what it used to be (the "used to be" part only passed down to me in stories). We drive up there sometimes and go through the famous Harlem MLK Blvd (125th St) and actually get off the car and go to the stores... And we're Asian.

Although... I feel a little bit safer going around town in Vegas... probably because I'm in the confines of my car instead of braving it out in NYC's subway system and then having to walk several blocks only to have some punks try to grab your bag.

The Vegas streets certainly aren't as dirty/smelly.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:51 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,731,374 times
I know somebody who currently lives there. It's a welfare tweaker den. If you can get use to the roaches and invest in some earplugs. It will suffice till you can move on to something better.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:52 PM

317 posts, read 1,004,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I bought nice small cactus yesterday (it was cactus show/sale event here in DC). They say it will live just about anywhere too.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:32 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,161,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natali :) View Post
I bought nice small cactus yesterday (it was cactus show/sale event here in DC). They say it will live just about anywhere too.
And it's not as PRICKLY as LVD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas