Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 03:51 PM

96 posts, read 751,009 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I posted a thread last week regarding info on Boulder City, and since have been doing quite a bit of research on it. What I'm finding is that it's quite pricey compared to other parts of NV. A realtor I've been in contact with keeps sending me listings for Henderson, but last time I was there, I wasn't all that impressed.

What do you locals think about it? Is it a decent place to live, raise a family, etc? Are there certain areas of it that are better than others? Another concern is the lack of grass/parks there. Does anyone know the deal with how much grass and/or vegetation you're allowed? What about crime and schools (we have two young children)?

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 05:55 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
henderson isn't great for families, the mall has basically banned all groups of 4 or more, it is very difficult for a kid to cross the street without being decapitated, let's wait for RWF to come and tell you why she loved it...

we used to live in Henderson and hated it, now we live in a much better place...If you want to live in Henderson there are some places to steer away from, such as along Boulder Hwy, Atlantic/Pacific, Whitney Ranch, Pittman, and Green Valley Parkway between Sunset and Warm Springs (there's some real dumps there and its not very well associated either, security bars all over the place)...Some schools are good, but then again its still Vegas, so the schools aren't the greatest, just the same as much of the SW...

BTW: you posted in the wrong forum...

Old 06-23-2007, 08:07 PM

Wow, that's pretty much what I was afraid of.

When we were down there about 3 years ago, it looked nice on the surface, but once we really started to look around, we saw a different reality; it was a little unsettling. I thought maybe we had judged too quickly, but now I'm thinking maybe we were right.

Thanks for the reply- it's very appreciated. BTW, do you know where I should've posted?

Old 06-23-2007, 09:18 PM

it'll probably just be moved to the Las Vegas forum, your fine, I'm just mad at some other people who clearly post about Vegas in the wrong forum...

Old 06-24-2007, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 16,545 times
Smile Moving to Henderson

I too want to move to Henderson. I searched the web and found out that Green Valley High school is the best that Las Vegas can offer. Is there a nice neighborhood around the area? If so, what is the subdivision's name?

Old 06-24-2007, 06:55 PM

818 posts, read 3,697,293 times
I like the area around GVHS. These are mostly older homes, and Green Valley is a little closer to Las Vegas than the rest of Henderson. Maybe the area hasn't aged perfectly, but buying a home on the illusion that it will always look like the day you moved in isn't realistic either. Sunset Park is one of the gems of the area - plenty of activities, fishing, great place for picnics and parties, also a great place to take your dogs.

If you are going to live in the Las Vegas area - you could do a lot worse than GV.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:56 PM

lol, I don't know where you found that information, are you related to RWF?...much of the internet is outdated about schools in Vegas and you need to look up Nevada Accountability Report also, many schools have different views from some people...

The area around GVHS isn't the greatest and you may want to go a little farther south, but then again, a little south, and I think your zoned for Coronado...Once again, the area around GVHS is ridden with security bars, unkept landscaping, no HOAs (in this case its a bad thing), knocked out garages (meaning that they were converted into car ports), many boats in the driveways, most of that area is an eyesore...

Old 06-25-2007, 09:39 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amet14 View Post
I too want to move to Henderson. I searched the web and found out that Green Valley High school is the best that Las Vegas can offer. Is there a nice neighborhood around the area? If so, what is the subdivision's name?
As the Kid points out GVHS is not the best high school in Las Vegas...but it is one of the top six standard high schools. The better schools are magnets or specialty schools such as ATech or the Las Vegas Academy or the Community College High Schools which the Kid attends.

However Green Valley is a very nice neighborhood with nice housing in multiple tracts and price ranges. It is well established and generally very well maintained. You can likely find anything you want within one of the GV master plans.

You can also go further south and west into the Coronado High School zone where you will find newer housing. Coronado is quite interchangable with GVHS...maybe even a little better on some standards.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:31 AM

818 posts, read 3,697,293 times
Look into the Green Valley Ranch area as well as deep Henderson, 95/College Drive. These areas are a little more "master planned" which some find preferable.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:05 PM

Thanks everyone! Don't know if any of you are familiar with Southern Califiornia (where I'm from), but Henderson sounds more and more like the
"new" Victorville here.

Basically, 10 years ago, Victorville was nothing more than a slum desert community with a few nice parts scattered here and there. Then all the major housing companies decided to buy up the free land and build one master-planned community after another unti now there's housing tract after housing tract and new shopping centers as far as the eye can see.

The problem is, you can build new and make it look nice, but it's still basically slum with a little spit and polish. Because of this, many people who bought there due to cheaper housing are now desperate to get out.

I think for me, I'll stick with Boulder City and try to afford property there instead of buying in Henderson and possibly regretting it. Thanks again for all your replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas