Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 07:53 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,464,940 times

Advertisements

Let's play "word association"!

First word: Hooterville
Answer: Henderson!

Second word: PEPCON

Third word: perchlorate

Fourth word: 8.5 million pounds of ammonium perchlorate stored at PEPCON site

Fifth word: 16 in. high pressure (300 psi) natural gas transmission line running beneath PEPCON site

Sixth word: explosion

Seventh word: fireball and explosion

Eighth word: multiple (seven) chemical explosions

Ninth word: explosion detected as 3.5 on Richter scale in California

Tenth word: nearby marshmallow factory evacuated due to chemical explosions

Eleventh word: PEPCON plant and marshmallow factory destroyed

Twelfth word: fire truck windshields blown out by shock wave from massive chemical explosion

Thirteenth word: 5 mile evacuation radius

Fourteenth word: 10 mile damage radius

Fifteenth word: 100 casualties treated in parking lot of nearby hospital on emergency power due to damage from explosions

Source: http://www.interfire.org/res_file/pdf/Tr-021.pdf

Last edited by ParkTwain; 10-03-2007 at 08:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 07:53 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,052,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Angry View Post
I agree

Display photo - photo.net

This is the view from my backyard
Great picture!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:27 PM

515 posts, read 1,833,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Let's play "word association"!

First word: Hooterville

Second word: PEPCON

Third word: perchlorate

Fourth word: explosion

Fifth word: fireball and explosion

Sixth word: multiple (seven) chemical explosions

Seventh word: nearby marshmallow factory evacuated due to chemical explosions

Eighth word: PEPCON plant and marshmallow factory destroyed

Ninth word: fire truck windshields blown out by shock wave from massive chemical explosion

Tenth word: 5 mile evacuation radius

Eleventh word: 10 mile damage radius

Source: http://www.interfire.org/res_file/pdf/Tr-021.pdf
Hard to believe that was almost twenty years ago!!

Old 12-04-2007, 12:51 AM

19 posts, read 67,125 times
I'm from Henderson. There's not one neighborhood I wouldn't go into in Henderson at any time. It's nothing. It's just like any other place in the valley. I've been in probably 10k homes in LV all over the valley over the years. And its the same every where. The people are no better or no worse. There's some uber nice hoods, and there's some trailer parks and actual 'hoods.

It's certainly no Huntington Beach. I almost shot beer out my nose at that. Hahahahaha. The old part is industrial, but most of that is actually county land so the city really has zero control over it. But the old Townsite homes are going under the bulldozer here and there to make way for new projects, so in time it'll be just like every where else. Boring.

I'll tell you though with all the Summerland babies crying about the "right turn" of the airplanes over their house, if airplane noise bothers you then the best place to live is Henderson. The further east you go the higher they are, and being on the downwind side of the airfield means that they're landing coming over Henderson more often than not, throttled down at a couple of thousand feet. It's the west side of Las Vegas that has to suffer jets taking off at full thrust as the struggle to climb out. I've spent many days in the pool in Henderson at my folks place and never noticed the aircraft audibly.

All that said and done. I live in BC and it rocks. I'm a total BC snob, outside of work you can't drag me in to LV.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:52 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,513,769 times
WOW! I can't wait for you to tangle with the olecapt...it should be quite entertaining! I like your style!

Old 12-04-2007, 08:13 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,225,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
WOW! I can't wait for you to tangle with the olecapt...it should be quite entertaining! I like your style!
You still have problems with reading comprehension JFK. I also believe BC is about the neatest place in the valley and that there is very little difference between Henderson and Summerlin. In fact I think the whole outer ring from Henderson to Aliante is similar.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:15 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,513,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
You still have problems with reading comprehension JFK. I also believe BC is about the neatest place in the valley and that there is very little difference between Henderson and Summerlin. In fact I think the whole outer ring from Henderson to Aliante is similar.
No...I meant style...not what he was stating.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:15 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,225,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
No...I meant style...not what he was stating.
Ohh no that is OK. I bump heads with everybody now and then. Keeps us all honest. He is a reasonably articulate native....should be an asset if he sticks around.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:50 PM

65 posts, read 231,279 times
WOW - you take really good pictures Matt Angry - very nice!

Old 02-02-2008, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 10,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
lol, I don't know where you found that information, are you related to RWF?...much of the internet is outdated about schools in Vegas and you need to look up [URL="http://www.nevadareportcard.com"]Nevada Accountability Report[/URL] also, many schools have different views from some people...

The area around GVHS isn't the greatest and you may want to go a little farther south, but then again, a little south, and I think your zoned for Coronado...Once again, the area around GVHS is ridden with security bars, unkept landscaping, no HOAs (in this case its a bad thing), knocked out garages (meaning that they were converted into car ports), many boats in the driveways, most of that area is an eyesore...
We live in the neighborhood right behind the GVHS track and like it. One of the main reasons that we moved here was because there is no HOA. We previously owned/lived in an HOA community (w/pool and gate) but we got tired of paying $100/mo to have cranky, power-happy neighbors harassing us over nonsense. For most people, their home is their biggest investment so they have incentive to keep it nice, without the need for an HOA to fine them into obedience. Plus, community gates may slow but do not stop people from entering a community, just follow another car. We don't have a (miserably crowded) community pool any more, but Henderson Parks & Rec has awesome pools nearby with low pay-per-use fees.

We also liked getting more space (inside and out) for our money, which seems to come with the older communities. Our neighbors are friendly, and many have lived here for over 5 years. The location is super convenient for shopping, schools, airport, commuting to Vegas or old Henderson. Traffic isn't bad and we're reasonably near the freeways.

The downsides: Higher electric/cooling bills (older, larger house). A recent police foot chase that ended in our community with a man being tazered in the street. Several rental properties that are not kept as nicely as the owner-occupied homes, but we had that in our prior (brand-new) community also.

On another note, we think that Henderson is a great place for an interracial family (black, white, and mixed kid). This is one of the few places we've been where our races are a non-issue.

As with all things, where you live is a trade-off. Some of the things that we miss about the east coast we're not sure are worth giving up some of the things that we enjoy about living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas