Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 11:43 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,963,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbill618 View Post
Does Vegas or Henderson have block parties? Do kids play in the streets? A strange question, I know. I am from Chicago and we have a close knit neighborhood. People look out for your kids, will help you if you ask, etc. In the summer, for one day the street is blocked off and we have games and a big potluck dinner. I have a friend who lived in a suburb of San Jose and he said the kids barely knew their neighbors. His next door neighbor had a pool and never once invited them over. His son played baseball with a kid who lived three doors down but did not know him before the baseball league started. Pick up games did not happen. Everyone lived in their own world.

I want to live in an area that has that type of atmosphere and I know that people tout Henderson and Summerlin for being family friendly but are they more like San Jose, CA or like Chicago?
Sounds like you have a great neighborhood for you! I would rethink the whole move as you will most likely be constantly wishing for what you had no matter what. Happens all the time. I am sure that Las Vegans CONSTANTLY hear, "well, back in ..." I know it is the nature of a transient town and comparisons to where you lived are normal human nature, but it's the ones who were pretty happy with what they had who will drone on about "back home".

Think twice, if you are happy as nothing no where will compare.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 12:46 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,152,591 times
Kimba is correct. The Vegas valley is no place for you if you are looking for Chicago-style neighborhoods. There are exceptions, of course, but I think most of them are in older areas. As for myself, I've lived across the street from the same guy for ten years.

I don't know his name.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:49 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,020,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Kimba is correct. The Vegas valley is no place for you if you are looking for Chicago-style neighborhoods. There are exceptions, of course, but I think most of them are in older areas. As for myself, I've lived across the street from the same guy for ten years.

I don't know his name.
Thank you for sharing this. I'm getting a little tired of people who have managed to find one of the very few communities that has SOME sort of sense of "neighborhood spirit" -- and then insist that all of Las Vegas is one big friendly collection of suburban communities.

My mother in law has several neighbors she has never met because they don't open their door. My aunt has several neighbors she has never met because they don't open their door. We have several neighbors we have never met because they don't open their door. I come from an area of the country where big neighborhood block parties are a monthly thing. Not here. Not in my experience. Not in my mother in law's. And not in my aunt's.

The people in this town are aloof.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

The people in this town are aloof.
Aloof is one word. Cautious, private, suspicious, are others. I consider myself friendly enough,- no that's not true. I don't have any interest in having a relationship with my neighbors outside of watching out for their interests. ( Strange cars, your mail got delivered to my place, etc.)

Old 05-12-2012, 05:35 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,323,044 times
Quote:
Aloof is one word. Cautious, private, suspicious, are others. I consider myself friendly enough,- no that's not true. I don't have any interest in having a relationship with my neighbors outside of watching out for their interests. ( Strange cars, your mail got delivered to my place, etc.)
This is me exactly.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:39 PM

I'm on the fence about this whole thing. When my kids were young, I wanted a more involved neighborhood. That came with a price. Gossip, people visiting whenever, couldn't go outside without having to engage in a conversation, nosy people...but, for the most part I liked that I knew my neighbors. I knew that my children could go to any of them for help and get it.

Now that they are older, I don't really care and sometimes I find it a pain. I do like to meet them and in Las Vegas the neighbors that I have spoken to are nice. Both sides of us. I wave to a few others but mostly I see them drive in and shut the garage door promptly behind them. Since most homes seem to have the family area in the back of the house you don't even know if anyone is there at all. HOA says we have to close the garage doors. Here in MI, ours are open all day if we are home. Most are.

Now...if I could guarantee that all my neighbors would be as cool as I am, then I would definitely want to have socials with them!!!

Old 05-13-2012, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I'm on the fence about this whole thing. When my kids were young, I wanted a more involved neighborhood. That came with a price. Gossip, people visiting whenever, couldn't go outside without having to engage in a conversation, nosy people..

Now...if I could guarantee that all my neighbors would be as cool as I am, then I would definitely want to have socials with them!!!
The gossip and nosy people are what I would like to avoid. I've also read about people having longstanding feuds with neighbors. I want nothing to do with that.

Now, if my neighbors were as cool as Kimba, I might feel differently..

Old 05-13-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
The gossip and nosy people are what I would like to avoid. I've also read about people having longstanding feuds with neighbors. I want nothing to do with that.

Now, if my nei ghbors were as cool as Kimba, I might feel differently..

Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas