Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 07:59 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,260,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
So people should only join the military if there is no chance that they will have to serve in combat? I would consider those people to be welfare recipients.
You have to remember I am very anti-war. I respect the people who serve in the military, but I always advise people not to join. I had quite a few friends serve in the military. Every single one is all messed up now with all kinds of issues. In fact, none are even my friends anymore.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I am not so sure that people given the opportunity to work would take that in lieu of an uemployment check.
I totally agree with you here. Take a stroll into the unemployment section of City-Data and you will see what I mean. Just don't post in there.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:02 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,421,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
You have to remember I am very anti-war. I respect the people who serve in the military, but I always advise people not to join. I had quite a few friends serve in the military. Every single one is all messed up now with all kinds of issues. In fact, none are even my friends anymore.
If all shared your mindset LVD, who would serve to protect our country and its citizens?

Old 07-24-2010, 08:04 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,571,474 times
There are a lot of people that don't fit the bill for holding a gun and killing people. With that being said, it's still necessary for some to do that job. Just because someone is down and out doesn't mean they want to give up everything close to them to go off to war. Couple that with the fact that there are a fair number of people both in the military and out that are having trouble rationalizing fighting over there.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
If all shared your mindset LVD, who would serve to protect our country and its citizens?
Obviously, no one.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:07 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,421,014 times
I don't think anyone wants people who don't want to join the military to join the military just to get a paycheck. What I want is for people to stop depending on that unemployment check and to be willing to take any job as a starting point. I know quite a few people who managed to find work once that unemployment check stopped coming.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:11 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,165,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
What branch of service were your friends in? What jobs?

I used to say the same about the friends that I grew up with. They say I changed and I think they changed. Ten years ago I left Savannah, Ga and joined the Air Force, when I go back to visit every two years they are all doing the same thing that we were doing as teens. Selling drugs, hanging on corners etc. Half are dead, or in jail. Then it hits me...

...I am the one that changed For the better.

Quote:
If we all shared his mindset, we would all be speaking German or Japanese.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:14 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,571,474 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone wants people who don't want to join the military to join the military just to get a paycheck. What I want is for people to stop depending on that enemployment check and to be willing to take any job as a starting point. I know quite a few people who managed to find work once that unemployment check stopped coming.
I think most people share that point of view but I would challenge you to examine how many assumptions you are making about the OP based on the limited amount of information he/she posted. People who actually need help seem to get chased away on this forum without really knowing much about their situation. Everyone is the shining example of righteousness when on the internet. This is not necessarily directed at you pommy. The situation just made me think about it.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:15 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,165,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
There are a lot of people that don't fit the bill for holding a gun and killing people. With that being said, it's still necessary for some to do that job. Just because someone is down and out doesn't mean they want to give up everything close to them to go off to war. Couple that with the fact that there are a fair number of people both in the military and out that are having trouble rationalizing fighting over there.
You are 100% correct but thats only a small percent of the military. Most of my active duty friends are dental assistants, cooks, lodging managers, mechanics(me),teachers(me), clerks, radar technicians etc.

Most of them have never had to carry a weapon besides the training for just in case instances. Or when we deploy.

Not everyone is infantry.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
What branch of service were your friends in? What jobs?
I cannot remember. I had one friend who I know served in Desert Storm. I had two other friends serve in the Army. I have not talked to any of them in so many years so I just don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas