Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 11:53 AM

40 posts, read 80,559 times

Advertisements

Can anyone qualify for unemployment if his/her spouse is working?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 12:20 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasbaby1 View Post
You said you do have a job but they are not paying you on what was agreed upon before you moved here. Are you planning on quitting to get unemployment?

To answer your question, of course you can, but I need the details before I can fully comment.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
You said you do have a job but they are not paying you on what was agreed upon before you moved here. Are you planning on quitting to get unemployment?

To answer your question, of course you can, but I need the details before I can fully comment.
No, Im not planning on quitting my job. But my hubby is unemployed and he cant find anything. Is he qualified?

Old 10-01-2010, 01:27 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
No, Im not planning on quitting my job. But my hubby is unemployed and he cant find anything. Is he qualified?
That would depend on his last job regardless of what state he is from. Was he let go by no fault of his own? Unemployment insurance is usually for people who were laid off. There are special circumstances, but that is the norm.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
That would depend on his last job regardless of what state he is from. Was he let go by no fault of his own? Unemployment insurance is usually for people who were laid off. There are special circumstances, but that is the norm.

They let him go. Then he tried his own business but it didnt go well.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:55 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,470,276 times
Just have him call the unemployment office of go here Internet Claims - User Agreement, and answer the questions to see if he qualifies. You have nothing to do with your spouse and that has nothing to do with unemployment, it only depends on his last job and how he was let go and how long he was employed.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:33 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Yes. It does not matter.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:15 PM

7 posts, read 16,945 times
Quote:
Unemployment has nothing to do with your spouse. It's about your last job and why you no longer are working (laid off, terminated,etc).

Old 10-01-2010, 09:17 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Anyone can file for unemployment insurance whenever they are unemployed. Your question is, will he qualify? Your having a job has nothing to do with his claim anymore than your being well has anything to do with his health insurance coverage.

Nobody can answer the question about eligibility but the unemployment office, and nobody there can answer it unless, and until, he files the claim. Never let anyone tell you you can't file. BUT, the only problem with that COULD BE, that if you file and are not eligible, you could delay being eligible for a while when maybe you didn't need to, and could have gotten around being disqualified if you knew the law.

In order to qualify for UI, you must be unemployed through no fault of your own, you must be able to work, and available for work, and you must be actively seeking work at least three days per week. That number is arbitrary and can be increased by any claims examiner, or JobConnect counselor that thinks you should step up your search.

You also must be monetarily eligible, meaning that you must have earnings in at least three of the first four of the last five quarters. (I'll give you a minute to think that one over )

If you only have wages in two of the first four of the last five quarters, the lowest quarter has to be at least half of the highest. (I'll wait again. dum, da, dum, da dum....OK?)

Of course if his work was in another state they might have slightly different rules, and he would be filing an interstate claim (here in Nevada) against the home state. Or, if he worked in both states he could be eligible for a combined wage claim which is a pretty good deal.

So here is what I need to know. What state did he work in? When? How long has he been unemployed? And what happened to the last two jobs? Fired? Quit? Laid off due to lack of work?

Old 10-01-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Anyone can file for unemployment insurance whenever they are unemployed. Your question is, will he qualify? Your having a job has nothing to do with his claim anymore than your being well has anything to do with his health insurance coverage.

Nobody can answer the question about eligibility but the unemployment office, and nobody there can answer it unless, and until, he files the claim. Never let anyone tell you you can't file. BUT, the only problem with that COULD BE, that if you file and are not eligible, you could delay being eligible for a while when maybe you didn't need to, and could have gotten around being disqualified if you knew the law.

In order to qualify for UI, you must be unemployed through no fault of your own, you must be able to work, and available for work, and you must be actively seeking work at least three days per week. That number is arbitrary and can be increased by any claims examiner, or JobConnect counselor that thinks you should step up your search.

You also must be monetarily eligible, meaning that you must have earnings in at least three of the first four of the last five quarters. (I'll give you a minute to think that one over )

If you only have wages in two of the first four of the last five quarters, the lowest quarter has to be at least half of the highest. (I'll wait again. dum, da, dum, da dum....OK?)

Of course if his work was in another state they might have slightly different rules, and he would be filing an interstate claim (here in Nevada) against the home state. Or, if he worked in both states he could be eligible for a combined wage claim which is a pretty good deal.

So here is what I need to know. What state did he work in? When? How long has he been unemployed? And what happened to the last two jobs? Fired? Quit? Laid off due to lack of work?
Wow, okay...give me a minute...

So, he was laid off due to lack of work in May, 2009. Then he worked for himself and hid business didnt go well. It was in Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas