Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 03:18 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times

Advertisements

how long do you have to work to receive unemployment? does it have to be a full time employee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 03:21 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,472,108 times
I believe it is for 12 weeks, but you will have to check the website to be sure.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:31 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
When I looked into unemployment years ago, they unfortunately told me they go back for the last 18 months.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:37 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,723,543 times
It's based on your earning from a certain base period. If you file now wages from Aug/Nov of 2008 and Feb and May of this year will determine your benefits amount.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:09 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Here is what I found for Nevada unemployment:

Please explain my monetary determination.The monetary determination that you are mailed explains your monetary award and the wages that were used to compute your claim. How much you receive is based on how much you earned during the period of time used to create your eligibility. This time period is typically a one-year the period you worked starting a year and a half ago and ending 3-6 months ago. Only wages that fall within this base period can be used to create a claim for benefits.
If you disagree with the wages reported on your monetary determination, you have 11 days to file an appeal to this document. Your claim booklet explains how your monetary determination is calculated and shows how we determine the base period used to calculate your claim.

DETR - Unemployment Insurance Benefits FAQ

Old 11-12-2009, 06:43 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,723,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Here is what I found for Nevada unemployment:

Please explain my monetary determination.The monetary determination that you are mailed explains your monetary award and the wages that were used to compute your claim. How much you receive is based on how much you earned during the period of time used to create your eligibility. This time period is typically a one-year the period you worked starting a year and a half ago and ending 3-6 months ago. Only wages that fall within this base period can be used to create a claim for benefits.
If you disagree with the wages reported on your monetary determination, you have 11 days to file an appeal to this document. Your claim booklet explains how your monetary determination is calculated and shows how we determine the base period used to calculate your claim.

DETR - Unemployment Insurance Benefits FAQ

The benefits handbook that you can download from DETR in pdf form explains all this and show you your monetary award calculated from your base period.

http://nvdetr.org/uiben/BenefitsHandbook_O_4275.pdf (broken link)

Old 11-12-2009, 08:02 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
how long do you have to work to receive unemployment? does it have to be a full time employee
You have to have had wages in at least three of the first four of the last five quarters. Let me know if you don't understand that and I'll try to explain. If you only had earnings in two of the base period quarters then the quarter with the lowest earnings would have to be at least half as much as the higher one. If you worked in another state,. be sure to tell them. You probably will be able to combine the wages from the other state with wages in Nevada for a better claim.

Then you have to be unemployed through no fault of your own. And don't try to decide if you qualify for that yourself...let ESD make the decision. You also have to be able, available, and actively seeking work.

I'm sure we all saw a news story on TV the other day of a guy who was scaming the system and not looking for work. I'd hate to be in his shoes after admitting that on TV. I can imagine the investigators, some of whom are friends of mine, were on him like white on rice the next day.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:17 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
A quarter is ¼ of a year; in other words three months beginning at the first full week of the year. Base period quarters at present time, that is if you file a claim between Oct. 4, 2009 and Jan 2, 2010, is:

1st: Oct-Dec 2008,
2nd: Jan-Mar, 2009,
3rd: April - June 2009,
4th: July-Sept 2009.

I really didn't look at the exact dates since a quarter isn't a calendar quarter, but a rounded off "standard" quarter. Thus, the quarter we're in started on Oct 4, and ends on Jan. 2.

You'd need wages from any state or U.S. Territory in any three of those. Or in only two as long as the lowest is at least half of the highest.

Just file the claim and don't worry about it; they have your wages in the computer by quarters. When you get the statement check it carefully. If any wages are missing form those months, let them know right away. It is a common problem that employers report your wages on an incorrect SSA #.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas