Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 09:00 AM

157 posts, read 277,493 times

Advertisements

A comment was made about one of these homes being near Nellis and being priced as it was due to noise impact from the base. Excellent point and I think any newbie house hunters in Vegas need to be aware of this.

I would like to know zip codes, neighborhoods to avoid that are most impacted by noise from the base. I've unfortunately had personal experience with this type of issue, not in Vegas, but another area where the noise was unreal from a base, and also an airport. Also, keep in mind that a home can be far away from a base or airport and still be under a flight path and be negatively impacted by flights.

When we see low prices, there's always a reason. As a buyer, you might be able to work with that "reason", but horrible noise issues is a deal breaker for most buyers unless you happen to love listening to thundering aircraft. I'm as patriotic as the next person but I can speak from personal experience that this is NOT something you want to live with unless you have no other choice and absolutely want or need a home near a base.

So, any further data/info about this would be appreciated. Clearly, the closer you are to Nelllis, the more impacted. Also, I read there are potential plans in 2012 to bring in a fleet of noisier aircraft. This is the type of thing that gives potential buyers nightmares...you buy a house this year but unbeknownst to you, there's secret little plans going on that everyone in town knows but you. That's why this forum is a lifesaver for many of us....again, kudos for pointing out the issue of aircraft noise. it can really be awful and destroy quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 09:50 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,168,745 times
Jet noise......the sound of FREEDOM

I lived for a time, DIRECTLY below the departure end of the Nellis Runway...[was in the Air Force] after the first week there was no change in quality of life. Whe a plane took off

You stopped talking until it passed and then continued with the word you left off on.

In the middle of the night nothing bothered because we slept right thru it...and this was in the middle of Viet Nam War when they were working for a living....

Old 07-03-2010, 10:02 AM

968 posts, read 2,065,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflybird View Post
A comment was made about one of these homes being near Nellis and being priced as it was due to noise impact from the base. Excellent point and I think any newbie house hunters in Vegas need to be aware of this.

I would like to know zip codes, neighborhoods to avoid that are most impacted by noise from the base. I've unfortunately had personal experience with this type of issue, not in Vegas, but another area where the noise was unreal from a base, and also an airport. Also, keep in mind that a home can be far away from a base or airport and still be under a flight path and be negatively impacted by flights.

When we see low prices, there's always a reason. As a buyer, you might be able to work with that "reason", but horrible noise issues is a deal breaker for most buyers unless you happen to love listening to thundering aircraft. I'm as patriotic as the next person but I can speak from personal experience that this is NOT something you want to live with unless you have no other choice and absolutely want or need a home near a base.

So, any further data/info about this would be appreciated. Clearly, the closer you are to Nelllis, the more impacted. Also, I read there are potential plans in 2012 to bring in a fleet of noisier aircraft. This is the type of thing that gives potential buyers nightmares...you buy a house this year but unbeknownst to you, there's secret little plans going on that everyone in town knows but you. That's why this forum is a lifesaver for many of us....again, kudos for pointing out the issue of aircraft noise. it can really be awful and destroy quality of life.

I grew up near a Boeing plant/airport and my high school was at the foot of the landing strip. The teacher would always have to stop her lecture for about 20 seconds whenever there was a landing or takeoff. Also, it seemed like every engine in the plant was being tested all the time. At the time I thought that was normal, now I realize that 98% of the rest of the world would think that atypical.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:26 AM

Yes, it certainly is atypical. As a student in that school you grew up thinking that noise was normal. No child can learn in a noise environment like that. So,again, does anyone know which zip codes/neighborhoods are most heavily impacted by noise from Nellis? thanks!

Old 07-04-2010, 08:56 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,082,569 times
ZipRealty.com has a search where you can filter out short sales. You have to sign up, but it's free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblud View Post
So whats a good site to filter out all thse short sales listed? I've made the 3 offers and i'm willing to do a couple more, but not short sales. I'll take whatever bites first.

realtor, google maps and realestate.com don't differentiate short sales well.

Any other good sites to search off?

Old 07-04-2010, 09:04 AM

968 posts, read 2,065,697 times
[quote=butterflybird;14893038]No child can learn in a noise environment like that. quote]

Sorry, I can not answer your specific question, but just wanted to say that the engine noise was just a normal part of our life and there have been many successful graduates from our high school.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:30 AM

I've read studies that indicate very negative impact from noise on students ability to focus and learn....i think it's perhaps easier to deal with if it's all you've ever known and you think it's "normal", but when you come from another area and first hear that noise, it's really shocking. There should be strict laws against building schools under flight paths in my opinion, it's a horrible environment for kids and teachers to work in.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:03 PM

194 posts, read 398,749 times
thanks for keeping my thread alive guys.

I just submitted an offer on a much bigger/better house in the FAR NW vegas. Short sale listed at 135k but we're offerring 145k cash. More than we wanted to pay but the house is worth it. the other agent is saying he can close it in 2 months, fingers crossed.

Now we can't put out anymore offers, not enough to cover EMD. I'm guessing our chances are 50/50 and we shouldn't get our hopes too high?

So the bimmer got downgraded again and we're now buying furniture from a consignment store now. 8^)

Old 07-08-2010, 11:54 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,349,782 times
Quote:

I just submitted an offer on a much bigger/better house in the FAR NW vegas. Short sale listed at 135k but we're offerring 145k cash. More than we wanted to pay but the house is worth it. the other agent is saying he can close it in 2 months, fingers crossed.
Well, you certainly have worked hard on this. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:04 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,914,741 times
Default Northwest Vegas

Quote:

Now we can't put out anymore offers, not enough to cover EMD. I'm guessing our chances are 50/50 and we shouldn't get our hopes too high?

So the bimmer got downgraded again and we're now buying furniture from a consignment store now. 8^)
We explored this area a little last weekend (Floyd Lamb Park area). Lots of horse property. Did not know you could get a home so reasonably priced.
sk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas