Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 09:55 PM

16 posts, read 54,726 times

Advertisements

Hello! My family and I (we have kids) are moving to LC in 6 weeks from Oregon. I've posted before about neighborhoods and got some really good advice. I have a dilemma. We are looking at a 3 bd house in Mesilla Park on Raleigh Dr and a 3 bd house on Fairway Circle off of Telshor near the Memorial Medical Center.

The Mesilla Park house is more in rent, is smaller sq footage and has a much smaller (albeit shaded) backyard. But its in Mesilla Park! Right?

The other house is in a older neighborhood off Telshor (I'm guessing because I see older trees and more vegetation). It seems pretty and has developed trees.

I guess I've just heard such great things about Mesilla Park that I thought we'd be lucky to live there, especially coming from Oregon. But I wonder if its worth some slight sacrifices just to be there, like the smaller house, sparse yard, and more rent. Does it feel like a community, the neighbors I mean?

I know that this seems like a personal choice. But I don't get to visit these places before we arrange a rental. If you have a comment, I'd like to hear it. It feels like I don't know enough to make a good decision right now.

Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 07:17 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I suggest, as you are from (Western?) Oregon you make shade and access to water high priority. From my studies That part of NM is really, really dry. Even dryer then Eastern Oregon. Check city-data for the climate/weather in any specific city or town.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:58 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeB View Post
The Mesilla Park house is more in rent, is smaller sq footage and has a much smaller (albeit shaded) backyard. But its in Mesilla Park! Right?
I'm not sure you realize Mesilla, (the Town of Mesilla) is a town in Doña Ana County, New Mexico. Masilla Park is a neighborhood in Las Cruces, Doña Ana County, New Mexico. Two different entities...

Old 08-14-2013, 10:02 AM

154 posts, read 346,641 times
Perhaps you've already factored in this variable, but if you must commit to one of these choices based only on photos (!) and written descriptions provided by the landlord/property manager, then I'd also add into the mix how responsive (e.g. timely response, attitude, follow through) the property managers have been thus far.

A recalcitrant landlord or property manager can really affect the quality of life in a rental property.

For what it's worth (which may be zero), I happened to be on one extended length of Telshor on Monday. Holy traffic congestion! But this may not be the reality for the section your proposed neighborhood is near.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:48 PM

391 posts, read 907,042 times
The nice thing about some parts of Mesilla Park is that it's a mature neighborhood with older homes on larger lots with mature trees and landscaping. The thru streets are University Ave, called Calle Sur, when it goes thru Mesilla (town) and Main St. so most of Mesilla Park is quiet, yet close to University, Main and I 25 That said, not all of MP is desireable. It was an early 1900's residential development, so it's generally nice, but the train doesn't stop there anymore. Check out the neighborhood in both places closely. The general area around Raleigh Rd is pretty nice and very quiet. Very close to the university if that's an issue to you. If I was there right now (I live .8 miles away from there) I'd do a drive by and take a few pics for you, but I'm in cool and rainy Michigan for a little while longer.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:10 PM

16 posts, read 54,726 times
Thank you everyone! We are from western Oregon and very used to green, shade and cool weather. I know we are in for a shock. But that is life, I guess.

We chose a home east of I-25 off of Telshor near the Memorial Medical Center, so southern Telshor. Hope it isn't too traffic-y on that end of Telshor. I still kind of wish we could have found a reasonably priced rental in Mesilla Park but at least our rental house has a lot of shade, even if it doesn't have tons of character and walkability.

I'm grateful to the Las Cruces City-Data gang who have helped us along the way thus far. Thank you.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:28 PM

9 posts, read 20,617 times
How are you liking the neighborhood you chose? I am assuming you have been there a few weeks now.

I am also moving to LC in about two weeks (my husband just accepted a job offer) and was trying to sort what neighborhood to pick. We really want one that is kid friendly. Currently we live in a retirement/vacation area (Ruidoso), so not many kids concentrated in any of the neighborhoods.

We are looking at two homes. One in Mesilla Park and one in Sonoma Ranch. I also can't seem to sort which schools are worth their salt. Or, if it matters much.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:57 PM

6 posts, read 16,203 times
My wife and I are moving to Las Cruces next month. We ended up buying a home in Mesilla Park and are extremely happy with our choice. We looked at houses in several different areas of Las Cruces, but Mesilla Park was the best fit for us - very centrally located, great neighborhood, love the trees and lawns and, as an added bonus, will be living near friends. I don't think we could have found a better home for our family and we are excited to be moving to Las Cruces. For those looking at Las Cruces, Mesilla Park is an area you should look at, but certainly not the only option. It really just depends on what you want/need and where you feel at home.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:30 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,809,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeB View Post
Thank you everyone! We are from western Oregon and very used to green, shade and cool weather. I know we are in for a shock. But that is life, I guess.

We chose a home east of I-25 off of Telshor near the Memorial Medical Center, so southern Telshor. Hope it isn't too traffic-y on that end of Telshor. I still kind of wish we could have found a reasonably priced rental in Mesilla Park but at least our rental house has a lot of shade, even if it doesn't have tons of character and walkability.

I'm grateful to the Las Cruces City-Data gang who have helped us along the way thus far. Thank you.
Oh wow are you in for a shock.... Western Oregon to Southern New Mexico. Yowsie.....

Old 10-30-2013, 04:08 PM

5 posts, read 8,553 times
I don't know that anywhere really feels like a community in that Las Cruces is very car oriented. Everyone shops at Wal-mart and they tend to socialize with like people, not necessarily their neighbors. I've met friendly people everywhere, and certainly have gotten to know my neighbors, but I've never felt like any particular neighborhood feels like a community. Well, apart from as a student in my late teens early 20's, I felt the area around the University had a community feel. Maybe Mesilla, where I've never lived, might feel that way if you are involved in the local artist and merchant scene.

Mesilla Park is where I live currently and I enjoy it. I like walking my dog along the canals. Probably the best shaded place to walk in Las Cruces is the canal between Union and University in Mesilla Park. I've also got mature trees in my yard, which is nice. It certainly is among the greener areas in the Las Cruces area. It is in the "wetter" part of the valley and tends to attract critters and pests a bit more than other areas. Particularly in the late summer. Seems like two days don't pass before you smell a skunk, and you get a few more mosquitos and what not.

Sonoma Ranch is fine. It's a growing area, so newer businesses tend to locate near by. Not sure if either would be considered kid friendly. I also can't comment on the schools. FWIW I've never heard any particular school disparaged compared to others, but there tends to be an overall opinion that they aren't the best in general.

All things being equal, I'd probably pick Mesilla Park, but it's not that much different that you should pay a lot more or settle for a lot less just to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces