Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 06:09 AM

1,567 posts, read 4,428,089 times

Advertisements

Last time I was in Las Cruces, I took a drive down to Mesilla and liked the feel there.

Does anyone have an opinion on Mesilla, one way or another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 06:27 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,284,282 times
I love it. I rented there for 5 years and sat on one of the planning boards. The meetings were hilarious almost like Mayberry with a slightly harder edge. I miss that a lot but when it came time to buy it was out of my league.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:36 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,731,370 times
I grew up there. My parents still live there. It tries hard to maintain its rural feel and character, but civilization is fast encroaching. Still the plaza is nowhere near as commercial as Santa Fe's or Old Town Albuquerque.
If I were to move back, and could afford it, I would live in the Mesilla area, rather than the newer developments around Las Cruces.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:30 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,614,291 times
It is greener and cooler feeling than the rest of L.C. I suppose if someone forced me at gunpoint to move back into the heat of Southern N.M. and Las Cruces in particular, I would choose Mesilla.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:29 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,183,620 times
I chose Mesilla as my New Mexico home almost 10 years ago, but it took a couple more years and a lot of visits to find the right house. I love Mesilla.
Much like my hometown in Michigan, it's small, historic, low key, an authentic, somewhat accidentally planned village, has a strong rural and agricultural base, and is home to a very diverse, interesting and talented people.
I like the mix of very long-time families with University people, artists and other creative types, business people, the rich, the relatively poor & the in-between.
I like the fact my neighbor has cattle that serenade my sunset cocktail, that my view to the west is all Pecans, that you can walk around town via ditch paths and encounter turkeys, sheep, chickens, pigs, as well as the usual dog n cat parade.
I like the green chile my 6th generation Mesillera neighbor brings over at Christmas Eve, and the walk to the Plaza for a look at the Christmas Eve luminarias (farolitos, you decide) with a Double Eagle Margarita afterward.
I like the special events the town supports and encourages, especially the Mariachi things and the Border Book Festival.
I love the Fountain Theater, where you can see great movies you won't see anywhere else in south New Mexico.
I like the fairly strict Historic building guidelines, though I'm less keen on the delays it causes and the nod-n-wink some longtime locals get when they blatantly violate those same rules. I need a building permit to paint my front door, but it's a small price to pay to keep the standards high and appropriate.
I like the slow growth approach of the town...acknowledging that growth will and should occur, but keeping it appropriate and non-oppressive. The character of the town is important to almost everyone.
I even like the daily drama that is small local government. Always something interesting stirring up!
I like the fact that real estate prices in Mesilla are generally higher (sometimes much more) than Las Cruces. It says to me that there is far more demand than supply and that that situation is likely to continue. It also says that even in a down housing market my home is still appreciating in price, and also that some long time residents who aren't all that well off have a pretty big and solid nest egg in their property when it comes time to retire, etc.
I could go on...but thats enough for now.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:47 AM

1,567 posts, read 4,428,089 times
Thanks to everyone for your observations . . . . They confirm my suspicions.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:58 AM

Default More Mesilla

A little more info for those unlucky enough to have NOT visited La Mesilla:
Mesilla, New Mexico, USA

Old 08-13-2008, 07:14 AM

9,379 posts, read 20,830,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
I like the fact that real estate prices in Mesilla are generally higher (sometimes much more) than Las Cruces. It says to me that there is far more demand than supply and that that situation is likely to continue. It also says that even in a down housing market my home is still appreciating in price, and also that some long time residents who aren't all that well off have a pretty big and solid nest egg in their property when it comes time to retire, etc.
I could go on...but thats enough for now.
Truer words could not be authored. Price per square foot once you are inside the Mesilla envelope zooms. I think it's due to your other observation about growth being slower, which in turn, creates a tighter demand on homes. Additionally, the flora/fauna is singularly unique for this part of the country, people like my mom are attracted to this area because of the greenery, which is more appealing for transplants.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Truer words could not be authored. Price per square foot once you are inside the Mesilla envelope zooms. I think it's due to your other observation about growth being slower, which in turn, creates a tighter demand on homes. Additionally, the flora/fauna is singularly unique for this part of the country, people like my mom are attracted to this area because of the greenery, which is more appealing for transplants.
Tighter supply = Higher prices. While this is painful at first, the ache is soothed by slower growth and increasing (or at least not diminishing) property values. That being said, I'll be the first to admit some places in Mesilla have sold for what I consider to be crazy amounts of money. I'm talking money-pits begging for total renovation selling for two to three times the amount a similar place would bring in LC. Location,location, location.
The Mesilla Valley has water, thus the farming of pecans, onions, cotton, sod, alfalfa, etc. It helps having New Mexicos MOO-U just a mile away... There aren't many, if any lawns in Old Mesilla, but plenty of them in Mesilla Park. I like the pecans, mulberrys and wide variety of cacti.
There should be a vineyard opening for business just down the road in the next year or so. Their grapes have had a few years to mature now.
Speaking of vineyard/grapes: Last winter a wonderful place opened up on Calle Principal, just a few doors down the street from the historic plaza. It's calle Vintage Wines and it's cozy wine bar serving ONLY New Mexico wines. They have seating for a couple dozen (tops) inside and a great patio as well. A large, well chosen wine list with selections from all over New Mexico by the glass, bottle or flight, as well as a couple choices from the proprietors own vineyard. Some nice, simple wine-friendly eats and cigars too. All in all, a MUST STOP if you like wine. Great place! There are two other wine tasting rooms operated by vineyards in Mesilla, but this is the only one that has selections from other vineyards. There are some very fine wines made in New Mexico, but they're hard to find.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:19 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,649,333 times
I love Mesilla Park as it's a true oasis in the desert .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico