Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2012, 09:25 AM

191 posts, read 308,307 times

Advertisements

It's a beautiful football weekend. So what's everybody up to?

We're headed for the UT Botanical Gardens Sunday afternoon for their fall open house and plant sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 10:31 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geranium View Post
It's a beautiful football weekend. So what's everybody up to?

We're headed for the UT Botanical Gardens Sunday afternoon for their fall open house and plant sale.
It's so pretty over there! Heading out to Trader Joe's then the game tonight. Tomorrow church and more church.

Kind of hoping that the walk from parking garage to trolley and trolley to stadium, then everything in reverse, isn't too much for my kid. I think the seats are not going to be too bad. Last year I had nosebleed seats and they were really a climb to get to.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:36 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,429 times
Next time I get laid off, I'm coming to Knoxville to visit because it's the star of my favorite book, Cormac McCarthy's "Suttree".

Any musts for a visitor?

Old 10-25-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
Next time I get laid off, I'm coming to Knoxville to visit because it's the star of my favorite book, Cormac McCarthy's "Suttree".

Any musts for a visitor?
Hi High Iron!

Where to begin? I've been in Knoxville for seven years and just love it. I guess since you are a fan of "Suttree" you could start at the river, no?

Volunteer Landing (Knoxville, TN) -- Businesses in Knoxville, TN by Knoxville.com

Be sure and visit our downtown area. It is small but very nice. Must-sees are Market Square and Gay Street. is certainly unique and across the street from the University of Tennessee. Are you a fan of James Agee as well? There is a small park in his name in nearby Fort Sanders where a lot of students reside. He was born in that neighborhood.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Hi High Iron!

Where to begin? I've been in Knoxville for seven years and just love it. I guess since you are a fan of "Suttree" you could start at the river, no?

Volunteer Landing (Knoxville, TN) -- Businesses in Knoxville, TN by Knoxville.com

Be sure and visit our downtown area. It is small but very nice. Must-sees are Market Square and Gay Street. is certainly unique and across the street from the University of Tennessee. Are you a fan of James Agee as well? There is a small park in his name in nearby Fort Sanders where a lot of students reside. He was born in that neighborhood.
Awesome.

What's the best food in town? Any good live music spots?

Old 10-25-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
Awesome.

What's the best food in town? Any good live music spots?
Calhoun's on the river is such an ideal location for a restaurant but it the equivalent of bad hotel food. Worse really, in my opinion. Some like it but I question their palates.

Try Nama for sushi on Gay Street, Shuck on North Gay for incredible seafood. Chesapeake's also has very, very solid seafood offerings. They are just west of Market and east of Henley.

Lots of folks love Tomato Head on Market Square.

I recently went to Cocoa Moon on Market Square. Great atmosphere, horrific food. In fact, Calhoun's looks very good in comparison!

I like Cafe 4 on Market. There is live music, usually, in The Square Room in the back.

The French Market is an authentic creperie. One of our regulars who lived in Paris swears it is as good as being there! It is on Gay Street.

Fairly close to there is Coolato Gelato. I swear by their soup and gelato as well as anything else they have there such as Italian soda, hot chocolate with imported chocolate, sandwiches and pastries. Everything is homemade with the best ingredients available.

Bistro at the Bijou has great food and often live music.

One of Knoxville's newest venues is Boyd's J I G and Reel in the Old City. The food and music are suppose to be great although I have yet to visit. There are lots of live music venues in the Old City as well and of course we have The Bijou and The Tennessee Theater.

There are a couple of other must-sees. One is The Farmer's Market on Saturday morning/early afternoon. More than just vegetables, there are bongo drums, handmade items from jewelry to doggie treats and a couple of food trucks, usually. It's really a happening but it is getting ready to close for the season after the holidays.

The other must would be the Knoxville Visitor's Center. A live performance called The Blue Plate Special is broadcast worldwide on WDVX at noon and is always free. It is a true slice of Knoxville and Americana and a must.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Calhoun's on the river is such an ideal location for a restaurant but it the equivalent of bad hotel food. Worse really, in my opinion. Some like it but I question their palates.

Try Nama for sushi on Gay Street, Shuck on North Gay for incredible seafood. Chesapeake's also has very, very solid seafood offerings. They are just west of Market and east of Henley.

Lots of folks love Tomato Head on Market Square.

I recently went to Cocoa Moon on Market Square. Great atmosphere, horrific food. In fact, Calhoun's looks very good in comparison!

I like Cafe 4 on Market. There is live music, usually, in The Square Room in the back.

The French Market is an authentic creperie. One of our regulars who lived in Paris swears it is as good as being there! It is on Gay Street.

Fairly close to there is Coolato Gelato. I swear by their soup and gelato as well as anything else they have there such as Italian soda, hot chocolate with imported chocolate, sandwiches and pastries. Everything is homemade with the best ingredients available.

Bistro at the Bijou has great food and often live music.

One of Knoxville's newest venues is Boyd's J I G and Reel in the Old City. The food and music are suppose to be great although I have yet to visit. There are lots of live music venues in the Old City as well and of course we have The Bijou and The Tennessee Theater.

There are a couple of other must-sees. One is The Farmer's Market on Saturday morning/early afternoon. More than just vegetables, there are bongo drums, handmade items from jewelry to doggie treats and a couple of food trucks, usually. It's really a happening but it is getting ready to close for the season after the holidays.

The other must would be the Knoxville Visitor's Center. A live performance called The Blue Plate Special is broadcast worldwide on WDVX at noon and is always free. It is a true slice of Knoxville and Americana and a must.
Thanks for all the tips.

If you see a tall balding out of work Yankee construction worker lurching about with a dog eared copy of Suttree under one arm, give me a shout.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:52 PM

148 posts, read 305,516 times
Default Its Christmas Time in East Tennessee

Hi
I moved from the Northern Virginia area (Manassas Park) in May. Live in the New Market / Kodak area. I just call this my retirement area. So far I made a 100 percent correct decision. Cost of living is cheaper, the pace of the area is slower and the people are not in a hurry to get no where. But what I really enjoy and a very pleasant surprise, I go eat at a restaurant or go into a store, not only I hear Christmas music, but old time Christmas music. Also the clerks and waitresses all wishing you a Merry Christmas. This may seem small to a lot of people, but its not to me. Maybe its because I moved out of a large metro area, but either case I am not complaining, just very pleasantly surprised. Now all I have to find is outdoor manager scenes for the house. While I read more than I write in this forum, wish you all a very Merry and Blessed Christmas

Old 12-15-2012, 01:57 AM

Have a very Merry Christmas to you and yours, Richard!

Old 12-15-2012, 05:00 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,350,655 times
Merry Christmas to you Richard and glad you joined us in wonderful East Tn.!

Pam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville