Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 02:49 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTAce View Post
If you don't mind the watermarks stuff, go for it. If you have something else in mind, please DM me.
Nope, just for screensaver. And don't mind the watermarks one bit. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 06:42 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,762 times
Wow, Ted, what photos! They are just beautiful. How did you get so close to the deer? They seemed to be perfectly content to just watch you watching them!!

Thank you so much. If you don't mind I would like to email a couple to my kids in MI, CT, and TX.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:10 PM

812 posts, read 1,674,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Wow, Ted, what photos! They are just beautiful. How did you get so close to the deer? They seemed to be perfectly content to just watch you watching them!!

Thank you so much. If you don't mind I would like to email a couple to my kids in MI, CT, and TX.
Please feel free to send the links at the OP so they can see all the shots.

Getting close to the deer was like anything else, time, patience, setup, and reading how the animals are reacting. What struck me as odd was there was a pair of photogs to the right of all of those frames who had better lenses (I was shooting with a 70-300MM), but they were shooting with the light giving the deer a soft side profile, which I totally didn't get. I took a little bit more time, and even with my 9 and 6 year old behind me, I was able to put myself where the light was perfect, then ease my way in to the point @ pic 253 where one of them started to get skiddish. I backed myself and my kids off, and the result was the deer running away in 253 came back and I got 259.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:19 PM

Smile An amazing opportunity well taken!

Thanks, Ted. I guess that patience does, indeed, pay off. I can't imagine nicer shots than those!

You must have great kids to be able to allow the deer the upper hand for a photo op like that.

Thank you for the link permission. One of my sons is a photographer for racing mags and websites, and he will have a professional and artistic appreciation for your photos, as well as, all of the boys (men!) will enjoy them for their sheer beauty!

Old 03-21-2008, 09:32 PM

812 posts, read 1,674,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Thanks, Ted. I guess that patience does, indeed, pay off. I can't imagine nicer shots than those!

You must have great kids to be able to allow the deer the upper hand for a photo op like that.

Thank you for the link permission. One of my sons is a photographer for racing mags and websites, and he will have a professional and artistic appreciation for your photos, as well as, all of the boys (men!) will enjoy them for their sheer beauty!
Awesome!!

Yeah, My kids rock!! Not only do they 'deal' with my taking photos in the first place, but they are able to see the advantage of being quiet and calm when approaching animals and the payoff it can have. I'm very jealous one of your boys is making a living at photography. It's a brutal business, I'm glad it's mostly just a hobby for me for now.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTAce View Post
Awesome!!

Yeah, My kids rock!! Not only do they 'deal' with my taking photos in the first place, but they are able to see the advantage of being quiet and calm when approaching animals and the payoff it can have. I'm very jealous one of your boys is making a living at photography. It's a brutal business, I'm glad it's mostly just a hobby for me for now.
Oops, I should have clarified myself. He works as an auto engineer during the day. Nights and weekends, he is like Spiderman - a completely different life!!

He used to race motor cycles himself (was Midwest medium bike champ 8 yrs. ago - I forget the cc.s!), but one baby later, he decided not to risk life and limb anymore. Now, he just takes photos and sells them to the racing mags and websites.

He does some portrait shoots, but mostly action. It just subsidizes his hobbies!

Your boys are very cool to realize that they are helping dad out and getting to experience something very special!

Old 03-21-2008, 10:26 PM

83 posts, read 274,917 times
Your pictures are absolutly beautiful. Where did you take them? Thank you for sharing.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:02 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,454 times
The deer in Cades Cove see so many tourists every year that they are pretty much used to people. I walked to within 10 ft. of two spikehorns lying in the grass before they walked away. Even then, they did not go far.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:19 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
The deer in Cades Cove see so many tourists every year that they are pretty much used to people. I walked to within 10 ft. of two spikehorns lying in the grass before they walked away. Even then, they did not go far.
Yep! They're like that in any park where they are not hunted.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:25 AM

127 posts, read 433,322 times
Beautiful pics TedTAce! Makes me wanna be there already!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville