Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 02:50 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,103,614 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to knoxville and would like to know the good areas and the areas to avoid .
Rent :600 and under
schools : not important we have no school age kids they are all grown .
weather : lots of snow or not ? average summer temps ? humidity ? we have lived in florida at one time .
I have seen alot of restaraunts in the area some to avoid ? some that are really good ?
Good grocery stores ? Bad grocery stores ?
Things to do like walking the dogs , movies , trails ?
Please let me know the good and the bad .
We are tired of midwest winters .
Husband can get transfer on his job for down there so that is why I did not say anything about him needing a job if we move there he would already have a job set up .
Also please tell me some good apartments as we want to rent first and find out if we like the area before possibly buying a home . Thanks .

Last edited by phonelady61; 09-01-2013 at 02:52 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 04:48 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,312,579 times
First of all, try doing a search to find answers to your questions. They have been covered here over and over and over again.

Rent @ $600 is going to limit you a bit. Of course it depends on the size of place you need, but that is really on the low end of the spectrum.
Hardy any snow. Summer temps can get pretty hot, and humid. But its all relative. Less humidity than Florida, but more than Los Angeles (where I'm from).
There are so many places to eat here, and as many opinions on what is good and what is bad. There are some that are really good, but depends on your budget. There is a thread here on places to eat. Read it over and you will get an idea.
Grocery stores? I don't think I have been in one I considered bad.
If you can't find something you like to do here, there is something wrong with you. If you like water sports, its here. Mountains? Its here. Dog parks, walking trails, biker trails - they are all here.

Maybe someone will chime in about apartments, I don't have a clue.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:02 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,358,855 times
Are you looking for a 1 bedroom? If so then you'll be pleasantly surprised with Knoxville. Apartment rents are one of the good things about living in this city. You can practically choose almost any area and find a decent priced one bedroom. The complex wont be new but it will be in a good area with nice amenities and low crime.

If you're looking for a 1 bedroom just let me know and I'll link you to a site thats good to use.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:21 PM

Im finding that some of the knoxville apts are charging really high pet fees and wow 4-5 hundred for pet deposits is outrageous .. I dont know if we will be moving here or not .

Old 09-01-2013, 07:53 PM

As a property owner of rental properties, I can tell you that pets can easily do a lot more than $500 in damage. I can't tell you how many times I have heard, "Of yes, our pet is housebroken, and NEVER goes to the bathroom inside".

Old 09-02-2013, 02:52 AM

well considering I have two toy breeds one 3 lbs and one 6 lbs and have never had a problem with them destroying anything and have always left places better and cleaner than I found them I consider 5-700 hundred for a pet deposit ridiculous for two toy breeds .I have had dogs the whole time I have rented and I have never paid more than 200 for a pet deposit .and some landlords were so impressed with how i left it they gave me my non refundable , and returned it to me .

Old 09-03-2013, 05:56 AM

I can say that you are a rare one then. I've had to replace carpets, replace doors and wood trim, and replace landscaping. Then there is the drywall repairs.
While your pets may be the best ever little guys, not all pets are. So, as a property owner, we really have to cover our bases (and protect our assets). By the way, I have often returned deposits.

How did 4-5 hundred get to 5 - 700? IMHO 4-5 hundred is not out of line, 700 seems a little high. Still doesn't cover new carpet though.

Your post about your perfect little dogs reminded me of the lady that owned a little dog that bit me twice, three years apart. Both times she said "MY! She has never done THAT before". I had inspected a house she was selling and her dog bit me, then 3 years later I happen to inspect another house she was selling, and the dog bit me again.

Sorry you feel the pet deposits are too high. Maybe you can fine someone that will rent to you without such high deposits. Good luck with your search.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:47 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,352,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well considering I have two toy breeds one 3 lbs and one 6 lbs and have never had a problem with them destroying anything and have always left places better and cleaner than I found them I consider 5-700 hundred for a pet deposit ridiculous for two toy breeds .I have had dogs the whole time I have rented and I have never paid more than 200 for a pet deposit .and some landlords were so impressed with how i left it they gave me my non refundable , and returned it to me .
So you say, but how does any potential landlord know this? Also, just because you are a good pet owner, does not mean everyone else is and pet deposits are standard around here. Some complexes may allow you to break up the deposit into smaller payments over a couple months.

I will say this and you can take it however you want to..... It really doesn't matter if you move here to rent or not. You are not even here yet and already think you should not have to pay a pet deposit. That is how it is done here. Period. If you move here accept the differences and suck it up. Don't move here and complain because some things are not to your liking. You need to learn to bend and blend, we don't as we already live here.
Pam

Old 09-03-2013, 09:12 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,318,604 times
I haven't responded so far because I remember the OP looking for an apartment in Chattanooga at a very low price and then complaining that those places weren't up to her standards. I thought I might give you all the heads up since this has gone on longer than I expected.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:48 PM

469 posts, read 1,175,892 times
There are plenty of houses in your price range in the Parkridge and Chillhowee Park neighborhoods. They are quiet, diverse areas close to downtown and all of the best hole in the wall restaurants are on the east side
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville