Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 03:43 PM

16 posts, read 26,167 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about this area? Is it close to anything like shopping..buisnesses...employment opportunities..is it safe and how is the weather?thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 05:22 PM

359 posts, read 1,101,141 times
shopping will be in dayton,knox in about 1hr,chat about 45 min,jobs none,lots of lake front living,watts bar lake 75 miles long,spring city pop about 2000.i hope this helps

Old 04-25-2011, 05:47 PM

374 posts, read 947,098 times
Default Have you

spent much time in Spring Hill? It's a very small, rural community, not much there (no Walmart or Kmart) and I would imagine very little employment opportunity - but a very pretty area. The weather will be comparable to Knoxville and don't recall hearing about much crime in that area. Closest shopping would be Decatur, Sweetwater, Athens - and Dayton is still fairly small. And it will probably be a little more than an hour to both Knoxville and Chattanooga.

Are you moving there or considering moving there?

Old 04-25-2011, 07:11 PM

Considering moving there.We found a very nice house that i fell in love with..just looking for some info on that area.I guess if there is no work it wont be such a good idea.Thanks for the replies.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:27 PM

where would be a rural town, but still close to job opportunities and shopping?i think spring city sounds to risky.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:11 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,345,480 times
Knoxville isn't as "citified" as outsiders think. You can be in rural territory 10 minutes from downtown. It feels more like an overgrown town. I'd consider it. There will be job opportunities and it feels "homey." I'm a country girl that's happily lived here for almost six years. Rural in East Tennessee is not the type of rural I am use to.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:37 AM

yeah i guess somethings are too good to be true. i really liked that house along with the rest of my family but i guess if there is no work around there it will not be a good idea . oh well that stinks! i guess its on with the search and boy let me tell ya it's not easy trying to find a house that does not need to much work around the city for about $125,000...Thankyou for your help! we really need all the advice we can get.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:45 AM

374 posts, read 947,098 times
Hiknapster is correct in that you can have a very rural feel/lifestyle in Knoxville/Knox County and still be within a reasonable distance for work, shopping, and entertainment. All you need to do is look at a map to see the counties surrounding Knox County and then do a search to find the unemployment rate for each county. That will tell you a wealth of information. I would go so far as to suggest that you focus on research finding work, or the likelihood of work, much more than locating a house first.

However, it sounds like you are looking for property online and basing where you want to live on housing cost and information you get before you actually move here. That's probably not a great idea. There's usually a good reason why property is much less expensive in one area vs another. Nearly everyone here advises newcomers to move here and rent for a while before actually making the decision and investment on permanent location and that is my advice also.

Many come to the forum here to ask for advice and there are some who listen - some who don't. We rarely hear back one way or another. If you are moving from a really fast paced area, usually northern states, you most likely will feel some culture shock. Now, culture shock is not generally discovered when you visit an area, even for few weeks or a month, it's not how people treat you when you're looking at houses to buy, or generally not how you're treated when you're spending your money in their area. It's the realization and feeling that sets in after you live in an area a while and learn how lifestyles are similar or different from your own history. It's how the community "thinks" and what the motivations are for law enforcement, social services/attitudes, etc. And I'm not saying culture shock is a good or bad thing. Many people move to this area with the explicit desire (they think) to find a slower pace and a different way of life. The luckiest find the place that meets their expectations. The unlucky may feel like they've landed in a time warp. I know I did the same thing many years ago. I was seeking that slower pace and "Mayberry" lifestyle. I just wanted there to be a pace and not a standstill... I didn't move the the "right" area the first time and it took moving around some before I found where I belong. Believe me, it varies widely from one county to another and from one area of the state to another. I think most here will agree that there's a significant variance in counties and community attitudes in East TN. I can't speak for other areas of the state.

Good luck

Old 04-26-2011, 07:42 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,345,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
Believe me, it varies widely from one county to another and from one area of the state to another. I think most here will agree that there's a significant variance in counties and community attitudes in East TN. I can't speak for other areas of the state.
True. Great post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanies4147 View Post
yeah i guess somethings are too good to be true. i really liked that house along with the rest of my family but i guess if there is no work around there it will not be a good idea . oh well that stinks! i guess its on with the search and boy let me tell ya it's not easy trying to find a house that does not need to much work around the city for about $125,000...Thankyou for your help! we really need all the advice we can get.
You can get a lot of house for that kind of money. Unless you are looking for new it shouldn't be a problem.

Usually when people are looking out in the middle of nowhere it's because they want to spend $50,000 or less. That often limits them to challenging homes in challenging areas.

I paid less than that and got a good, solid home in a decent area a few years ago.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:35 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,325,687 times
I'm curious. Are you picking a place to live from searching houses for sale in TN? That seems to be a somewhat backwards approach. IMHO

Most people pick an area for whatever reason (job relocation, family in area, etc) and THEN start looking for houses.

Since it sounds like you need a job, I would suggest you start looking for jobs in the general area you want to live, and then do the house searching. But then, that just me, and I have no idea of your circumstances.
Good luck with your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville