Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 09:07 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,522,967 times

Advertisements

Just thought I would share my favorite find from yesterday's shopping adventures. It's a 1950's (?) aluminum glider/sleeper. The back of the glider can be taken down to make a full size bed. Miss Molly has already given it her stamp of approval!

Old 08-10-2008, 09:10 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,330,416 times
Oh! That's gorgeous! Where did you get it?

Old 08-10-2008, 09:12 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,447,561 times
Hmmm, You know that would look mighty fine out by my pool!!!

Old 08-10-2008, 09:18 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,522,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Oh! That's gorgeous! Where did you get it?
Lenoir City!! Have truck, will thrift shop!

Hey Hik, notice the item to the right of the glider? (I have blurred the photo edges so it isn't very clear )

Old 08-10-2008, 09:20 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,330,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Lenoir City!! Have truck, will thrift shop!

Hey Hik, notice the item to the right of the glider? (I have blurred the photo edges so it isn't very clear )
Aha! I see it!

Lenoir City, you say? I have to go visit!

Old 08-10-2008, 04:43 PM

811 posts, read 2,011,829 times
Aww, SMG I love the find!
your kitty cat looks a lot like mine only mine is a little smaller He was a rescue, and one of the best cats we have ever had!

Hope everyone is having a great day--we went to the G-O-O-B sale at Oak Furniture warehouse and got some nice stuff--prices were actually pretty good, and I am excited because I have never had LR tables that I LOVE, and now I will!

Now it's back to work, need the overtime to pay off the bill, LOL

Hik, I hope you are felling better today, and I hope Lauren has a GREAT first day! Josh said he is nervous, which is totally out of character for him So I have just been trying to get him to talk about it as much as I can. I think he's just stressing himself a little too much. (Dont know WHERE he gets THAT from...LOL)

Old 08-10-2008, 05:11 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,795,197 times
Love the "find" SMG! Miss Molly bears a striking resemblance to a cat we had many, many years ago who got the unfortunate moniker of "Fred."

Hik I sure hope what ever it is you feel better soon. Life is hard enough without that kind of illness. Gems suggestion of another doctor sounds pretty good to me! I hope Lauren really enjoys school. Too bad about the PE class first day... but she should get a chance to wear that dress one of these days.

Mystic hopefully Josh will calm down and enjoy as well.

I am beginning to get picture envy with everyone posting so many cute pictures along with their greetings!!

Pam I hope Asheville is growing on you and Bill and that you are enjoying all the great mountain scenery!

Painter sorry to not have been around enough to prevent your talking to yourself, 'tho I must say you sounded pretty good for someone talking to themselves......

The rep fairy has certainly struck me... anyone I have rep'd once cannot be rep'd again... how many other people do I have to rep before I can rep someone again???

Where I moved from schools always ended (usually) the last week of June and began the Wednesday after Labor Day so I was surprised to see the buses stop so early in May. Neighbors down the way are teachers and have been busy since the very end of July with back to school stuff. i didn't realize Blount County was even earlier than Maryville, SMG. Guess not having school age kids tends to make one oblivious!!

Old 08-10-2008, 05:19 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,141,657 times
Wink Ahhh, a new school year. Now, my heart is aching!!

SMG, I agree with Hik and mysticfire! You did good, girl.

We used to have a glider just like that and I gave it away!! I am still kicking myself. Our kids all had their turns sleeping on it while we had overnight guests. I loved taking a quick afternoon snooze on it after reading myself sleepy. Enjoy!

Hiknapster and Mystic, I bet the kids all have a ball tomorrow. The first day is always so anxious for everyone - even the teachers!!

When I was teaching in a regular classroom I would spend the last 2 weeks of summer making bulletin board layouts on the floor and kitchen table. I would then transport them to my classroom. (About $300.00 worth of pencils, paints, construction materials - lots of tape and glue - and all kinds of stickers and fun stuff)

I would use the last couple of days getting the room gorgeous, setting out plants, aquariums (unfilled - we did that together!), colorful bulletin boards and WELCOME signs in the room. I had a note in a colored envelope for each child with a little personal message inside to make them feel welcome to a new teacher's class. Lots of preparation, but I was still as quivery and nervous as a kid going to the dentist!!

The first hour of school I tried to talk to and memorize each child's name (They are sooo hurt if you don't know their names!). After that, everyone's nerves settled down and we would start a wonderful year together. That doesn't mean that every minute was wonderful - just the kids and the year.

There is always wise-guy day when you want to tear your hair out. Then, there's "throw-up" day when the little tyke comes up to you to tell you that his tummy hurts and in an instant you are wearing the reason why! But, there are so many "AHA" moments for the children and for the teacher that you love them - boogies, barf, practical jokes and all!!!

I sure hope all of your children, small beginners and big finishers, have a wonderful school year. And, I hope that each of their teachers feel blessed for having them.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:55 PM

811 posts, read 2,011,829 times
I am so excited to become more involved this year!! Last year, I was involved in the classroom a lot, field truips, etc, which may be hard this year because there is no one to watch the other munchkins--however, the PTA up there was a Joke...I paid the dues and called a million times, etc, no one would return calls, let me help with anything, seemed to be a group of about 5 women that wanted to do everything THEIR way or no way. So I am hoping since ALL of my boys will go through this school, I can really get involved. For many years, teaching elementary school was what I wanted to do...I never went to college and still regret it to this day. Maybe someday, but I just don't know how.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:23 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,539,442 times
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm127/fallfanatic/good%20night/gnstream.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville