Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 08:46 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Y'know, it's all relative. What some of you consider boring might be just what others want. It all depends on your age, cultural background, hobbies, skills, occupation, personality type, political bent, etc. When I was younger, being in a bustling metropolitan area was attractive to me. Then I went through a "I want to live in the country" phase, and now that we have a place in semi-rural JoCo, I would kill to live in a more lively area. But hey, a lot of people love it down here. I was actually surprised to find that the quiet drove me crazy.
I lived in JOCO for over 20 years, and would probably not ever move back again. Why? I like living in a smaller community in the Appalachians that is close to a small city with a well-rounded economy and plenty to do. I like living practically off the grid and having a house surrounded by deep woods. I belong to a CSA, have a large vegetable garden, and have a solar hot water system on my 1400sqft house. Houses are smaller here because we don't like paying higher property taxes on those McMansions I wouldn't ever go back to living in big city suburbia unless extraneous circumstances arise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 12:35 AM

328 posts, read 1,397,503 times
Default What's confusing about Chicago

Quote:
I like the grid. Before we moved here from Chicago two years ago, I got a Garmin Nuvi. Now, you would think that being just up the road from us, Garmin would be able to create a synthesized voice that could pronounce "Olathe" or "College Blvd", but it can't. My Garmin also doesn't know where our house is, so I had to put in an approximate address. Thanks to the grid, I can navigate quite easily all over the area, and I now only use the Garmin when I go into KC. I lived all my life in Chicago and was always getting lost on the roads. I never get lost here.
I don't understand what's confusing about Chicago, unless you are talking about the suburbs.

In the city with the Grid System, It couldn't be better. For example, someone who lives on Belmont and Damen lives at 3200 North and 2000 West. The fact that the ENTIRE time Belmont is 3200 North and Damen is 2000 West makes it a breeze to navigate.

The entire Grid Numbering system of Chicago makes it a breeze to get around...I don't even own a car in the city, and when I do use when it is very easy to get around, as long as I know the name of the street and the number.

I'm guessing you lived in the suburbs, since they don't follow the same numbering scheme and are more confusing. But the city is a piece of cake!

Old 02-15-2009, 04:29 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,359,025 times
I lived in the city as well as the suburbs, but I was in the NW suburbs for a long time, so that's what I'm talking about. There is no rhyme or reason to the street maps, and no easy way to get from east to west. Too many angled streets, too, and to make things really confusing, the angled street known as Northwest Highway in the city of Chicago is not the same road as the Northwest Highway in the suburbs.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:02 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,270,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I lived in JOCO for over 20 years, and would probably not ever move back again. Why? I like living in a smaller community in the Appalachians that is close to a small city with a well-rounded economy and plenty to do. I like living practically off the grid and having a house surrounded by deep woods. I belong to a CSA, have a large vegetable garden, and have a solar hot water system on my 1400sqft house. Houses are smaller here because we don't like paying higher property taxes on those McMansions I wouldn't ever go back to living in big city suburbia unless extraneous circumstances arise
But you like those winters up there and some of us DON'T! And we have CSAs here, of a sort. They had a thing at Hen House over the summer where you could sign up to receive a basket of produce every week. I didn't sign up, though. Tomatoes and corn is what I like best in the summer and I have friends and family who give me some of that and I just buy whatever else I want/need from the Overland Park Farmer's Market. I could plant a garden and maybe someday I will. My parents always had one but I never have. I live in Johnson County but not in a McMansion (not that I would be opposed to a McMansion if I could afford one!). My house is slightly smaller than yours. I'm happy being in a well maintained suburb; I have everything I need here. I'd like warm weather year round and lower taxes, but can't have everything...

Old 02-17-2009, 10:17 PM

328 posts, read 1,397,503 times
Default Okay, makes sense

Quote:
I lived in the city as well as the suburbs, but I was in the NW suburbs for a long time, so that's what I'm talking about. There is no rhyme or reason to the street maps, and no easy way to get from east to west. Too many angled streets, too, and to make things really confusing, the angled street known as Northwest Highway in the city of Chicago is not the same road as the Northwest Highway in the suburbs.
That makes sense then! I went out to Glenview this past weekend, and it was confusing, even with my GPS!

And why would you build a freeway exit on the Edens that turns into two-lane divided highway road? Yuck, the traffic was insane.

Anyways, I agree with you...the suburbs are not as easy to get around!

Old 02-25-2009, 08:22 AM

187 posts, read 1,022,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I seriously don't see JoCo as a whole being "moderate". My parents now live in Olathe and the first thing people ask you is, "Where do you go to church?" And they've got more than their share of the nutty, evangelicals out there! And this is the land of Kay O'Conner, another far-right wacko.

I'm gay and refuse to live in a state that will most certainly be one of the last in the country to even grant domestic partnership rights to gay people. Your Dem. governor is probably more conservative than Gov. Ah-nold in California, or she wouldn't have been elected.

I'm not bashing JoCo, just pointing out that if you're not religious, conservative, and not into the whole suburban lifestyle, you probably won't care for the place. That said, far NE JoCo (Fairway, Westwood, Prarie Village) are very nice, liberal leaning, and near the Plaza and downtown and quite different from the rest of the county.
Johnson county went for Obama 45% in the 2008 election. If I remember correctly, this was in the top 5 counties in all of Kansas. So yes, there are plenty of left-leaning folks living there. And I saw a map with the voting results by precinct some time ago. I cant find it now, but it confirms what you said - the older areas of JoCo like Prairie Village, Leawood north of 435, Mission, northern Overland Park, eastern Shawnee, etc were "blue" areas, whereas Olathe and southern OP (south of 435) are "red" areas.

The place to live IMO in JoCo is north of 435, as close to the Plaza as possible. I wouldnt live in Olathe or south of 435 in OP. I like Prairie Village and northern Leawood the best as far as places to live in JoCo. Older, well-kept housing with mature trees, close to the Plaza and downtown and all that KCMO has to offer, but still good schools and it just doesnt have the same plastic, cookie cutter feel that the newer parts of JoCo has. And while I'm sure some exists, it seems that the religious wingnuttery would be at a mimimum in that area as compared to Olathe. And for the most part, it is cheaper to live in that area. And while I dont live there and dont have any particular experiences to say one way or the other, I'm guessing that I'd like the people better in that part of the county.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:43 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,240,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy View Post
Johnson county went for Obama 45% in the 2008 election. If I remember correctly, this was in the top 5 counties in all of Kansas. So yes, there are plenty of left-leaning folks living there. And I saw a map with the voting results by precinct some time ago. I cant find it now, but it confirms what you said - the older areas of JoCo like Prairie Village, Leawood north of 435, Mission, northern Overland Park, eastern Shawnee, etc were "blue" areas, whereas Olathe and southern OP (south of 435) are "red" areas.

The place to live IMO in JoCo is north of 435, as close to the Plaza as possible. I wouldnt live in Olathe or south of 435 in OP. I like Prairie Village and northern Leawood the best as far as places to live in JoCo. Older, well-kept housing with mature trees, close to the Plaza and downtown and all that KCMO has to offer, but still good schools and it just doesnt have the same plastic, cookie cutter feel that the newer parts of JoCo has. And while I'm sure some exists, it seems that the religious wingnuttery would be at a mimimum in that area as compared to Olathe. And for the most part, it is cheaper to live in that area. And while I dont live there and dont have any particular experiences to say one way or the other, I'm guessing that I'd like the people better in that part of the county.
I know a couple gay couples living in Prarie Village and Roeland Park. Those are really nice cities, IMO. Huge trees, interesting architecture, and close to the Plaza.

Interesting about the Obama statistics. Although my parents are religious conservatives, they voted for Obama - once I convinced them he wasn't a Muslim <---Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Old 03-23-2009, 10:13 AM

140 posts, read 606,442 times
Quote:
Y'know, it's all relative. What some of you consider boring might be just what others want. It all depends on your age, cultural background, hobbies, skills, occupation, personality type, political bent, etc. When I was younger, being in a bustling metropolitan area was attractive to me. Then I went through a "I want to live in the country" phase, and now that we have a place in semi-rural JoCo, I would kill to live in a more lively area. But hey, a lot of people love it down here. I was actually surprised to find that the quiet drove me crazy.

So true. It all depends on our choices, what we want and what we can offer.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:54 PM

18 posts, read 67,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy View Post

When you were listing places to live, you left out Mission. Some areas are old & ridiculously-small houses. However, south of Shawnee-Mission Parkway, you get into Milhaven. You can't really beat that area, and the houses are beautiful and large.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:31 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tflowers View Post
When you were listing places to live, you left out Mission. Some areas are old & ridiculously-small houses. However, south of Shawnee-Mission Parkway, you get into Milhaven. You can't really beat that area, and the houses are beautiful and large.
What exactly do you consider a large house? I have a 1400sqft house that I feel is extremely spacious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City