Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 02:51 PM

48 posts, read 243,690 times

Advertisements

How accepting is Johnson County towards gays? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 08:38 PM

82 posts, read 317,889 times
I would say a person would be better off living in Kansas City, MO for a more gay friendly environment and it's just down the road!

Old 10-23-2008, 09:25 PM

26,408 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healinghands View Post
I would lean you more toward Lawrence, KS and KC, MO instead of JOCO. JOCO tends to be conservative overall.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:25 PM

68 posts, read 376,466 times
Live in Lawrence!

Old 10-23-2008, 11:47 PM

378 posts, read 1,621,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyRyan View Post
Live in Lawrence!
Plus, if you live in Lawrence and have a job in JOCO, the drive is only 30 to 45 minutes, with KC MO a little further away.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:59 AM

327 posts, read 968,698 times
Quote:
Well, you did not give much information. Basically, you are asking a generic question about a large county. Johnson County is a very wealthy county with a well educated population. It is a bedroom community of Kansas City, Missouri. It has excellent school districts and an excellent library system. I seriously doubt, if your intention is to relocate to Johnson County, that you and your partner will be attacked, physically or verbally. Your house will not be vandalized. The residents of Johnson County (for the most part) are courteous and respectful of others. I have no idea how many gays or lesbians live in Johnson County. Urban Kansas City, Missouri does has a large gay population. Please remember that the information you gather from these postings are the opinions and comments of others therefore they cannot be considered credible sources, my own posting included. Having made that statement here are my comments: I live in Johnson County. A lesbian couple lives on my street. The neighbors do not talk about them. We all speak when walking our dogs. The couple have 3 dogs. They lead a quiet life in a well maintained home. A lesbian couple always sits in front of me at Mass. We all shake hands at the sign of peace. The couple exits church frequently holding hands. I have never heard an unkind remark from fellow parishioners. My husband often frequents a nearby restaurant/bar and sits with a gay couple. My husband is 60 years old. He sits with the gay couple because they are funny and he laughs his a** off when socializing with them. Johnson County is conservative, but it is certainly not some podunk redneck community stuck in a 60's time warp! Feel free to move on my street. If you take pride in your home, you are most welcome here!

Old 10-24-2008, 11:23 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellykat View Post
Well, you did not give much information. Basically, you are asking a generic question about a large county. Johnson County is a very wealthy county with a well educated population. It is a bedroom community of Kansas City, Missouri. It has excellent school districts and an excellent library system. I seriously doubt, if your intention is to relocate to Johnson County, that you and your partner will be attacked, physically or verbally. Your house will not be vandalized. The residents of Johnson County (for the most part) are courteous and respectful of others. I have no idea how many gays or lesbians live in Johnson County. Urban Kansas City, Missouri does has a large gay population. Please remember that the information you gather from these postings are the opinions and comments of others therefore they cannot be considered credible sources, my own posting included. Having made that statement here are my comments: I live in Johnson County. A lesbian couple lives on my street. The neighbors do not talk about them. We all speak when walking our dogs. The couple have 3 dogs. They lead a quiet life in a well maintained home. A lesbian couple always sits in front of me at Mass. We all shake hands at the sign of peace. The couple exits church frequently holding hands. I have never heard an unkind remark from fellow parishioners. My husband often frequents a nearby restaurant/bar and sits with a gay couple. My husband is 60 years old. He sits with the gay couple because they are funny and he laughs his a** off when socializing with them. Johnson County is conservative, but it is certainly not some podunk redneck community stuck in a 60's time warp! Feel free to move on my street. If you take pride in your home, you are most welcome here!
This is an excellent post and I fully concur. I live in JOCO and went to a party last week....my favorite people there were a lesbian couple. I told my date that I would double date with them in a heart-beat, they were a riot.

My neighborhood is upper middle class smack in the middle of JOCO and we have a broad spectrum including devout catholic republicans, left wing Obama fund raisers, a gay couple etc etc etc.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:10 PM

328 posts, read 1,396,943 times
Default How Old are you? Partnered, Single?

I think your age/relationship status is definitely a factor in this instance. If you are already in a committed relationship and older and not looking to go out, it's not the worst choice you can make. If you are single, good luck. There is only one gay bar in JOCO, the rest all are in KCMO. A huge majority of the gays in the metro live in the KCMO proper area, so if you are single, chances are you would be dating someone who lives at least 30 minutes away.

I lived in Johnson County for almost two years with my boyfriend at the time, in a 1 Bedroom apartment in Lenexa. (I am 25, by the way). I know that a few people have commented on this thread about their open acceptance of gays, and that's great, for the gay couples around them.

My boyfriend and I spent almost every weekend in KCMO, except to sleep at home. We felt a lot more comfortable there in the restaurants, bars, shopping environment. We did not feel as comfortable in Johnson County doing anything. The reason?

1. Johnson County is EXTREMELY religious. I worked and lived in JOCO, and I heard religion and god mentioned many, many times in work and other public places (gym, grocery store). As a matter of fact, at both the gym I belonged to and at several grocery stores I was asked about my faith during small talk, and then when I told them I was non-denominational I was treated with a look/attitude as If I just told them I was a criminal. At work, Church was openly discussed.

2. JOCO is also VERY family-oriented (great if you have families, not so great if you don't). Kids are everywhere you go (except bars, obviously). People I met through work or otherwise thought it was odd that I was 25 and not married with Children yet. I have a feeling that the same attitude would be bestowed upon you.

If you do end up moving there, I would be very cautious about who you reveal yourself to, in the beginning. You may end up with some nice neighbors like the people on here, or you may end up with someone like my former boss, who under suspicion of my being gay treated me so poorly and unfairly that I left the company as soon it was possible.

If you need any further information, feel free to DM me. I would also DM "Denverian", I believe is his name, He lives in Denver now but is gay and used to live in KC and has commented on the status of gay life in both sides of the Metro area.

Good luck in your decision!

Old 10-25-2008, 08:44 PM

68 posts, read 376,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaystraveling25 View Post
I think your age/relationship status is definitely a factor in this instance. If you are already in a committed relationship and older and not looking to go out, it's not the worst choice you can make. If you are single, good luck. There is only one gay bar in JOCO, the rest all are in KCMO. A huge majority of the gays in the metro live in the KCMO proper area, so if you are single, chances are you would be dating someone who lives at least 30 minutes away.

I lived in Johnson County for almost two years with my boyfriend at the time, in a 1 Bedroom apartment in Lenexa. (I am 25, by the way). I know that a few people have commented on this thread about their open acceptance of gays, and that's great, for the gay couples around them.

My boyfriend and I spent almost every weekend in KCMO, except to sleep at home. We felt a lot more comfortable there in the restaurants, bars, shopping environment. We did not feel as comfortable in Johnson County doing anything. The reason?

1. Johnson County is EXTREMELY religious. I worked and lived in JOCO, and I heard religion and god mentioned many, many times in work and other public places (gym, grocery store). As a matter of fact, at both the gym I belonged to and at several grocery stores I was asked about my faith during small talk, and then when I told them I was non-denominational I was treated with a look/attitude as If I just told them I was a criminal. At work, Church was openly discussed.

2. JOCO is also VERY family-oriented (great if you have families, not so great if you don't). Kids are everywhere you go (except bars, obviously). People I met through work or otherwise thought it was odd that I was 25 and not married with Children yet. I have a feeling that the same attitude would be bestowed upon you.

If you do end up moving there, I would be very cautious about who you reveal yourself to, in the beginning. You may end up with some nice neighbors like the people on here, or you may end up with someone like my former boss, who under suspicion of my being gay treated me so poorly and unfairly that I left the company as soon it was possible.

If you need any further information, feel free to DM me. I would also DM "Denverian", I believe is his name, He lives in Denver now but is gay and used to live in KC and has commented on the status of gay life in both sides of the Metro area.

Good luck in your decision!
Yeah, live in Lawrence...

Old 10-26-2008, 08:51 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
I don't think a gay will find them openly hostile but it is not "gay friendly" by far. There are lots of small minded Republican religious nutcases in JoCo that do not care much for homosexuality. KC KS, KC MO and Independence are probably more gay friendly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City