Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 02:46 AM

18 posts, read 39,113 times

Advertisements

Gay friendly? No. However..........Gay hostile? Not one bit. I think the people of Johnson County are great, quite friendly as well, and would not judge you based on your sexual orientation. However, I also don't think they'd hold their arms open for you either. The reason I say this is because the people there generally work LOTS and have better things to do than gossip and worry about other people. As long as your not picking off your neighbors one by one, I dont really think they'd care one bit who you are or what you do, as long as you can keep up with their current and quite expensive trends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 729 times
In my opinion JOCO is full of close-minded people. Yes, they will be nice to your face, but that does not provide a warm and accepting feeling. That being said, there are a lot of accepting JOCOs too. The Zona Rosa area is very appealing to the LGBT community. I have noticed a huge influx of gays and lesbians moving to the area. I think it is especially appealing to LGBT families, because they can have a piece of Kansas City but also have the benefit of an A+ school district in Park Hill or Platte R3. For LGBTs that don't have children but still care about home values-this benefits them as well. Zona Rosa and surrounding areas offer LGBT families every amenity you could want in the way of shops, restaurants, parks, etc... And a growing supportive LGBT community. Also, it is worth mentioning that housing is very affordable. Platte County is much more diverse than JOCO, with most of the residents being folks that transferred for work. You can expect people of all races and socio-economic backgrounds. Being close to the airport is another nice benefit of living near Zona.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:34 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,281,297 times
I see this is an old thread - but - if you want to live in Johnson County, you will be fine there as a gay person. People live and let live. It's not ultra conservative like some people like to portray it. That's southern Missouri - and still there are gays in southern Missouri who are just fine living there. If you are looking for a whole gay community, you probably won't find that in Johnson County. If you want to live in Johnson County and happen to be gay, no problem. There are plenty of gay people in Johnson County. We have a gay couple on our street that has lived there for many years. The only reason we know they are gay is that we have interacted with them on occasion; otherwise we wouldn't even know or care what they are doing in their house down the street. And neither does anyone else. Not even an issue.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:41 AM

91 posts, read 251,004 times
I live in OP and there are many, many gay people around where I live and several where I work. Not sure why gay wouldn't feel welcome in OP.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:29 PM

908 posts, read 728,611 times
I would think happy people would be welcome anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City