Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 08:47 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,102,740 times

Advertisements

Living without a Car : Is it possible in Kansas City?

I have lived happily without a car for many years, and in some great cities.
I am now considering a move to the Kansas City area.

I do not want to waste $8-10,000 per annum on a vehicle, if I can avoid it.

Have you got any suggestions for places to live in the area?

A nice Walkable neighborhood is what I am seeking, and one which also has some decent transport links.
So far, I have been eyeing the areas in Downtown areas in other cities.

BTW, I am self-employed, and normally work from home, and so I do not need to commute every day.
Surely, there must be people in the area, who enjoy the wonderful freedom of living a car-free life, and are willing to share some of their secrets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 09:25 PM

220 posts, read 453,613 times
It's possible, lot's of people do it, but it isn't as easy here as it is in a lot of other cities.

You have to choose your location very carefully, public transportation is limited and grocery stores seem to be scarce around the main bus lines. The entire city is very spread out.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:51 PM

Can you suggest a location or two where you think it is viable?

If so, why?
(Walkable neighborhood, Good transport links, etc.)
Thanks

Old 02-24-2013, 07:12 AM

377 posts, read 569,447 times
There are several neighborhoods that are friendly to a no-car lifestyle: Crossroads, Volker, Brookside, Waldo, and Westport come to mind.

I live in the Crossroads Arts District just south of the downtown loop. Lofts, lots of places to eat, drink, walk and sightsee. It's pretty much a walker's dream. Cosentino's downtown market is at 12th and Main and it's a good one. Main Street bisects it and the MAX bus line runs right down Main, as will the new streetcar line when it's built. But you need to like ultra-urban, loft living.

Volker is a very hip little neighborhood that reminds me of Ocean Beach in San Diego minus the Pacific and the hippies. The markets are farther out, as are the buses. But tons of cool, local business plus (grumble) Starbucks and Chipotle.

Brookside is fabulous, but more expensive. It would probably only make sense if you were looking to buy a house. But if you're in the 50s range of streets, you're within walking distance of lots of goodies: Loose Park, the 63rd St. commercial district, UMKC (which will be getting a Whole Foods), the Plaza, and the Nelson-Atkins Museum.

Waldo is similar, though not close to those amenities except for shopping. But lots of cheaper houses in cute neighborhoods and its own collection of local businesses.

Westport would work if you're into clubbing and late nights. It's the entertainment and bar district, with lots of pubs, restaurants, etc. Very walkable, very eclectic, but very loud and crowded on the weekends. Sun Fresh market is nearby, so shopping would be easy, and you're in Midtown so you'd be a half-hour walk or a short bike ride from a ton of other things.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:31 AM

That's great.
I will investigate the Walkscores for those locations

Old 02-24-2013, 12:31 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,804,424 times
Live along the MAX Orange bus line as it runs the most often. There is also hourly car rental (ZipCar) on UMKC campus. If you eventually have to work in the burbs, you'll need a car. Bus service in city core is passable but pretty awful in the burbs. Downtown also building a streetcar, expected to be running in a couple years or so - likely to expand elsewhere over next 5 years. Commuter rail seems to have a little momentum for eastern burbs into downtown but has a long way to go to reality. Getting to airport is barely doable on bus but a shuttle is about $20 from city core.

MAX Orange bus line here. All other bus lines: www.kcata.org

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1238514/pics/bus/maxmwk.gif

Last edited by xenokc; 02-24-2013 at 12:48 PM..

Old 02-24-2013, 12:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
It wouldn't be for me, because my workplace is fairly inaccessible via public trans, at least in any way that doesn't require unreasonable amounts of walking along roadways that have no sidewalks.

If I worked from home, it would be doable, but still not particularly convenient. By picking your neighborhood carefully and working from home, it could be accomplished.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:40 PM

Just curious, if self employed and a job isn't bringing you to KC, what attracted you to KC? Looks like you are either looking at many cities or are just generally asking how transit is in smaller cities.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:21 AM

Yes,
I am self-employed, and can live wherever I like.

I am looking at several cities, and planning a trip in the near future to have a look.
I have already ruled out 2-3 cities based on what I read on C-D.
So far, KC stays on my list, and I may soon do more detailed research

KC popped up when I looked for walkable, and livable cities.

I liked the sound of the Crossroads Arts District, as well as various other places

Old 02-25-2013, 09:48 AM

If you depend on internet access for work, KC is only city to get Google Gigabit Fiber and will be available in Xroads area (and most of city core) later this year or sooner in some areas. Downtown is moving forward but not up to par yet with larger cities in terms of enough population to give it daily energy. Midtown/Plaza/Westport area has more daily/nightly energy, downtown tends to have less energy unless there are events going on, sometimes very lively but more often not. Xroads has a large/fun monthly street party (First Fridays) otherwise P&L area has more events. Would also check out River Market on N side of downtown as there are more basic amenities available in the city/farmers market area than in Xroads. Xroads has a lot of galleries and is livable but bars/eats are pretty scattered - check out the Freighthouse loft area behind Union Station.

edit:

BTW, downtown also has a dozen bike rental stations. It will be expanding to Midtown to UMKC area this summer.

Last edited by xenokc; 02-25-2013 at 10:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City